• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Money For College

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could anyone guide towards how I could get some money for college..

Are their auditions or constest that I can try out to get money for college?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, I don't know about now, but when I was in HS and wanted to go to Michigan State University, my band director arranged an audition for me with the MSU director for a music scholorship.

I would check with the schools that you would like to attend and see what is available and how to apply.

Best of luck,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a form called the FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid (or something like that). Fill it out. That's your key to student loans, grants, and need based scholarships. Fill it out NOW if you haven't. Priority date is March 1, so you'll be stretching it if you're starting school in the fall. Contact the Financial Aid department at your school and talk to them. I used to work in a financial aid department. They don't bite.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know down here, UCF has a program where you audition for talent-based financial aid. I'll be doing so myself later on this school year, as it's a wise choice to do it before the fall term in college begins. Of course, it might help for me to get accepted to the school too.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the federal government usually is quite generous when it comes to getting money for school, at least they were in my case. like someone said earlier... file the FAFSA and see what you can get.
SinePari9

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George,

Fill out your basic financial aid form, as many have mentioned (FAFSA). Then, contact the schools you are interested in attending about auditioning for scholarships.

One thing you may consider is the Army Reserves or Maryland National Guard. There are currently National Guard bands in your area:

Baltimore, MD: 229th Band - (couldn't find a website)
Washington, DC: 257th Band - http://dcregistry.com/users/257ArmyBand/
Wilmington, DE: 287th Band - http://copland.udel.edu/~ehockers/287th.htm

Part time military service is a great way for you to earn money for school and also a good way to learn more about music. Of course, there are other jobs in the military, as well, but since you were posting here, I thought you may be more interested in the band.

I'm not a recruiter, so I have nothing to gain by lying to you. Feel free to email me with any questions.
===============
Bach Strad 43
Bach 3C
===============
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Annie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your guidance counselor should have some good info - also - any scholorship you can apply for, go ahead and apply for. you could get lucky and have the first year paid for.

*I may not be great yet, but I'm working hard on it and one day I'm gonna be there.*
njp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for smaller programs. Usually they are dying to get great trumpet players to come and will offer partial and even full scholarships to you. Benefits (if you like the teacher) is more personal attention, less distractions outside the school so you'll practice more, and the chance to play in everything. Many times these schools are given budgets and will pay for you to help their program. I know that Rowan U. in New Jersey is currently trying to beef up and has some money to throw around. Good luck!
BarbaraJ11

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do need to talk to a guidance counselor. People are so confused about financial aid. all schools need the FAFSA. If you go to collegeboard.org you can do a basic fafsa.It will tell you what money you will get for college from schools. But you must know that if you are getting money for being poor, which is 90% or more of 'scholarships', and then you get a scholarship for good playing, they take away some of the 'for being poor' money. So if you are rich, merit money is great. If you are poor or middleclass if is useless.
for example:
parents make 70,000 a year. The government says your parents can pay 15,000 cash. The school is 30,000. So the school gives you GRANTS ( free) or loans of 15,000.Your parents owe the 15,000 extra in cash. ( in real life they give the parents big loans if they don't have cash) You audition for the music department and win a 5,000 scholarship on trumpet. The school gives you the 5,000, and instead of 15,000 in grants and loans, they give you 10,000. Parents STILL owe the 15,000. Now if the govt. says you can afford 30,000 and you get nothing, then all scholarships help. Just went through this! I do not think most state schools can wiggle around this. I think a rich private school can give you more free money if they really want you. Good luck!
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider deferring college while you do a stint in one of the military bands. When you leave the service, you can use one of the generous educational benefits available to ex-military personnel. My son is now earning a master's degree that will be largely paid for by the U.S. Army.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
jamie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a cerimonial guard band on paraliment hill in ottawa. it is like a marching band i think you have to audition and you go for a summer your first year you go to boot camp for a month and then play for the rest of the summer in your first year you get i think 7 000 and you make more each year there is also the reserves bands
stukvalve
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do what i have done and many others are doing. -mug old people.
the FAFSA thing sounds like a good route also. -max-

matzentrpt@hotmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: