• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Taylor trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ii-V-I

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been in the market for a new horn, and i have always wondered about Taylor trumpets. If you own one, do you think it plays well? Not that it matters, but i am a jazz player, who also plays lead, and i dont want to get something that cant do both.
cujazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own one but had the chance to play one of these fine instruments, in my opinion they play very well in small combo settings. As far as section playing our lead plays on one and she blends well, she uses a shallower mpc for big band section work.
Liad Bar-EL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your information, Taylor trumpets come with two custom mouthpieces. One made out of silver/nickle for lead playing. The sound is certainly brighter than the standard brass mpcs.

You might also ask Andy Taylor the same concern that you have posted here.

Liad Bar-EL
Jarrett Ellis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as a "lead" horn.. I've played on a Taylor Chicago Custom and it really didn't strike me as a lead horn... I'd say if you want versatility look at another of their models, or just elsewhere, from what I could tell however, it was a great horn for jazz combo stuff.
-Jarrett
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ask woodwind and brasswind to send you one
zackd05

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do they actually COME with a regular AND a nickel mpc? or do you have to buy the nickel one seperate?
brass2002
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Taylor Chicago Custom for sale. It comes with a GR goldplated custom made mouthpiece. Send me a private message if you are interested or send it to efbadaraco@yahoo.ca
Monette 933 C, STC1 C & 149XL
Thein Eb/D/C 4 Valves
Thein Bb/A
Thein G
Larson GFT Eb/D
Rotaries:
Schagerl Bb D1, Schagerl C W 2001
Windisch Bb
Monke D
Scherzer Bb/A
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

No, they only come with one mp (usually a standard generic 3C) but you can order a silver/nickel one.

Actually Andy doesn't make any claims for his mps at all (although my one is great...it was copied from my GR at the factory). Some of the custom mp makers can make you whatever you like on a Taylor blank..GR is one that I know of.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Trevor
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to find out about Taylor Trumpets is to ask Andy Taylor - a really nice guy how will be more than happy to discuss your individual needs.
I would imagine that he will be heading out to Denver this year (for the ITG Conference), it might be worth you holding out until then, if you are going.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got to try two new Chicago "Standard" models. Excellent!!!! The newer ones have a little bit smaller bell rim diameter...5 1/4' as compared to the older versions that came through with a 5 9/16' bell. BIG difference!!! The two I tried still had that thick sound that the Taylors are known for...BUT...ALOT of extra zing/edge when you pushed it in the upper register and the sound was MUCH more centered/focused. Intonation was dead on...valves are great! Eventhough the horn is heavier than the average trumpet it's balanced so well that it's VERY comfortable to hold. Part of that is due to the placement of the valve section which is a little further towards the bell...more like a Schilke placement as opposed to a Bach or Benge where the valves are closer to your face (this has always felt uncomfortable to me). Also don't worry too much about it being a .470 bore. Due to the extra weight and a "choke" installed in the bell tail the blow is very balanced and still has the correct amount of resistance, at least for me. BTW, I always use a "normal" weight mouthpiece on every horn, including the Taylor. I tried these horns with a Warburton 6ESV top combined with either a Warburton #5 BB or a Kanstul made Schilke "C" BB. I prefered the "C". I first tried a Taylor about 2 years ago and the thing that impresses me the most is the upper register. ALL of the ones I've played have the biggest, scariest double "G/A" of any horn I've ever played! The higher you ascend the bigger the sound gets so, in my opinion, not only would this horn definitely cover a jazz gig...it wouldn't take a back seat as a lead horn, either!!! Hope this helps!!!

BW
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

Butch is correct and I should have pointed it out in the earlier post, you can play the Taylor with any mp (to me it works best if it has a bit of mass to it..my normal GRs work fine).

I actually have the newer standard with the one piece lead pipe and the smaller bell..its just such a great trumpet. I've just got home from a big band gig..I played the Kanstul and our lead player used the Taylor (he is a heck of a lot better than me). During one of the sets after a solo I heard him utter "This horn wants to play higher...that's never to happened to me before"...I think he's a convert!!

Have fun.

Regards

Trevor
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor,
The piece GR did for you....was it done on an exact duplicate of Taylors' blank or was it made on GR's "Fatboy" blank? Also...how long did it take Gr to make the piece for you? I had them make me one of their stock cornet mouthpieces, stock rim, diameter, cup, BB, etc. and it took almost 4 months for them to do it! Heck...I could have switched to violin in that amount of time (and learned to play it...well)!!!

Thanks,
BW
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Butch,

I didn't explain myself very well. Actually Andy Taylor copied the rim and cup of my GR piece at the factory onto one of his blanks...the backbore is juts a little tighter. My stock GRs work fine in the Taylor.

On saying that, I've talked to Brian Scriver and he has told me that they can make any of their pieces on a Taylor style blank...or as an alternative use the fat boy.

Actually I'm having a custom piece made by them at the moment (a 3HC* with a #2 BB..actually to replicate the Taylor copy)...it will take 90 days.

Regards

Trevor

PS Violin eh? That's a great trick but can you make 2 flutes play in tune?..Didn't think so.

[ This Message was edited by: camelbrass on 2004-03-19 20:31 ]
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can if you shoot one!!

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor,
Thanks for the info! Hey...3-4 months practice on the violin and I could get into ANY major orchestra in the world!!!

BW
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lengthy talk with Andy a few years ago. He told me how his horns are made. they are made more based on french horn where the resistance point is more at the end instead of up front like conventional trpt. they sound great dark mellow,but it strays from the conventional blw of atrpt. i owned one but sold it because it wasnt practical in every setting but the custom and chicagowere great small group horns real frenh horny.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: