• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 6320S

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiandlo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Yamaha 6320S Reply with quote

Just bought a used Yamaha YTR6320 in very good condition from one of the Sam Ash Music stores in Sarasota. Paid $550 for it with the case and mouthpiece. I have been playing it for the last couple of weeks in a jazz quintet and a dixieland band and the guys say they like the sound better than my Kanstul Besson (not quite as bright).

Anyway, I have no idea whether this is a student, intermediate or pro horn or when it was made. I went on to the Yamaha website, but there was no information on this particular horn as it is obsolete according to them. I really like the way it plays and it is a real lightweight horn, something I had to get used to.

It feels like a Schilke (but doesn't look like one). I have little experience with Schilke trumpets, so I could not compare them.

Can anyone give me some info on the horn? I do not even know the bore size or the material the bell is made from, as it is silver plated. Thanks to anyone that can give me some information.

Schilke B7
DEG Signature model cornet

"Those who fail to prepare should prepare to fail"
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: 6320S Reply with quote

The 6320 was part of the Yamaha 6000 series of horns that came out in the early 80s - '83 or '84 if memory serves.

The 6320S is absolutely a professional line horn. It's a .460 bore, and IMO one of the best commercial horns they have offered. At that time, they offered the 6310B (soon changed to the 6310Z), which is the .445 step bore Bob McCoy/Bobby Shew model. The 6320 was their ML bore horn, while the 6340ST was their large bore offering (Yamaha large bore is .463). I played a 6340ST for 20 years professionally and loved the horn.

Yamaha also came out soon after that time with their 6335 (.460) and 6345 (.463) models, which had similarities to lightweight Bachs. Also nice horns, but I prefer the 6310/6320/6340 series.

In 1987 or thereabouts, Yamaha entered a marketing arrangement with Disney that entitled all professional musicians at WDW to free use of the Yamaha instrument of their choice for 6 months, with the option to buy at a steep discount at the end of each cycle. Between the 200 or so full time musicians there at the time, we ran the gamut of their offerings and those horns held up well to the abuse of 35 shows outdoor every week. Several players selected the 6335 with factory tuning bell. I kept meaning to ask for a 6320 or 6340 with factory tuning bell, but I liked the way they played with fixed bell I never got around to it! The deal ended after Yamaha ran up some big losses in their band instrument division, unfortunately.

I've heard that the 6320 was patterned after the Schilke B5 dimensions, and the 6340ST after the Schilke X3. There are similarities to be sure, but they're not carbon copies. The B5 has a copper bell, and based on its playing characteristics, I'd wager the 6320 has a yellow brass bell. I don't recall ever seeing any 6320 or 6340 models in lacquer. The 6340ST was only available with factory trigger (The T part of the model designation) until the tail end of its manufacturing run when they came out with the 6340S which had a thumb saddle.

I'm up near Brandon, FL. If you decide the 6320S isn't one you want to keep, please shoot me a PM! It's one of my favorite Yamahas and I've been looking for a nice one...

Thanks-
Bill
codyb334
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6320 is a great horn. I have the 6340ST and I love it. I think everything was covered in the above post. Good job Bill! The 6000 series was Yamaha's report of the Schilke series. I dont know your exact match but mine is the Schilke X3. They are great horns too.
Olds L12 Flugel
GR 67L
Monette Prana BL2 S3 XLT
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6310SB here. Excellent horn. I'd only replace it with a 6310B. Not a lover of the silver... but it's what I could find. Very nice series of horns.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
hiandlo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Yamaha 6320S Reply with quote

I'm up near Brandon, FL. If you decide the 6320S isn't one you want to keep, please shoot me a PM! It's one of my favorite Yamahas and I've been looking for a nice one..

Bill:

Thanks so much for all the information. Whew!!.....I never new that Yamaha made so many different horns...........Anyway, I chanced using it last night at a gig with the dixieland band and it sure made my evening easy and pleasurable. I think it's a keeper, but thanks for your offer anyway. Hope to use it a lot in the future. Thanks again.
Schilke B7
DEG Signature model cornet

"Those who fail to prepare should prepare to fail"
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, Bill!

A couple of very minor corrections -- The 6335 was .459 bore and the 6345 was .462 (those were the first efforts of Yamaha towards Bach designs). They may compare favorably with a lightweight Bach, but they were designated as "standard weight" horns... the 6310/20/40 were "lightweight."

I know nothing of the correlation between the 6320/40 with the Schilke B5/X3 designs, but you are correct that the yamahas came stock with yellow brass bells (not sure if gold brass was even an option back then).

Best,

Paul
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Paul,

You are correct, thanks for the correction on the bore difference between the two series.

Bill
AlfaFreak
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey "Yammie",

Without high jacking this thread Id be interested in hearing about the "factory" tuning bell 6335's you had the opportunity of trying etc. Ive not come across these yet and would love to know more.

Cheers
YamahaCollector
adlibman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
I found my 6320 back in 1985. It was factory lacquer. I have since had it overhauled and silver plated, but am about to change it back because it had a better sound as lacquer. I have found it a harder horn to slot correctly, but when right is plays awesome.
Thanks for all of the great info.

L.J. McCormick
Perrish D'Andrea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiandlo,

I have owned a 6320S for more than twenty years. I also own more than twenty other horns I've collected for a while, including a '51 Committee, a coupla Supers, Recordings, Super Recordings, an '69 Elkhart Connstellation, a magical '69 Strad, an incredible '69 LB Doc Eterna, and a few more, including the *only* horn I would choose to keep over the 6320S (don't wanna distract this post with details about that one).

I owned a Schilke X3 and a Schilke B2 in the past, and I regret losing the X3 (which replaced the B2 and was stolen when I was in college). Those Schilkes are (or, at least were, back then), incredible.

Without reservation, I can say that the fit and workmanship on this 6320S is the finest of any horn I have ever owned. Yes, at least as good as that of the Schilkes I had- this 6320S may very well have been one of the Schilke-Yammies (which may not even exist, for all I know), as it came in a Yamaha-branded, but unusual, gladstone style case, a style of which I have never seen anywhere else. This horn was made sometime between the mid-80s and early 90's best I can tell, and that's sort of frustrating to a tpt collector, heh.

The tone on this thing is just so exquisite, so much like the tone those Schilkes had. It's just so huge, professional, and encompassing, with a searing edge when pushed. I would not call it a "dense" tone, though. Can't beat the Supers, Committee and Bach for that attribute.

In any event, if you like the way it feels when you play it, thank your lucky stars that you found a real gem of a professional trumpet, in today's marketplace, for $550. I absolutely love my 6320S.

"A" serial Yammie 6320S (cir 1985-89?)
Doc's L.A. 3* Prototype (cir 2004-5)
https://myspace.com/perrishdandrea/music/songs
abzoomer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Lack of bell markings on a 6320s Reply with quote

Just picked up a 6320S and my initial impressions are very positive.

A quick question for the320s community...….there are no markings on the bell, i.e. no model number etc. Does have Yamaha on the MP receiver and of course the model and SIN on the value body.

I was wondering if the bell has been replaced or alternatively, Yamaha didn't engrave the bell. Horn is from the mid 80's.

Thanks in advance- Chris

Bach 180-37
Yam 8310Z
Bach C 239
Getzen Custom Flugel
Martin Imperial Cornet
Yam 6335HS
Olds Special
Alain Desrochers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

To my knowledge, there was no marking on the bell.

I have one of those and it does correspond to your description.

Regards

Alain
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that Yamaha put engraving on their bells until the 6310Z horns came out. My 739T has no markings on the bell. They were similar to the Schilke bells, having no markings.

I also have a Yamaha trumpet brochure from the early '80's. None of the bells have markings on them including the 6320S.

Pete
abzoomer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alain Desrochers wrote:
Hi Chris,

To my knowledge, there was no marking on the bell.

I have one of those and it does correspond to your description.

Regards

Alain

Gents- many thanks for the guidance - I was a bit concerned

Play on- Chris

Bach 180-37
Yam 8310Z
Bach C 239
Getzen Custom Flugel
Martin Imperial Cornet
Yam 6335HS
Olds Special
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a 6320S for years and it did not have any marking on the bell. Great horn, wish I'd never traded it for a NY Bach that became a $$ pit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: