• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

17 year old virtuoso on NPR?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know the guy who played last weekend on the NPR program "From the Top"? I can't remember his name, but he played the Jolivet Concertino (this is one of the pieces that Marsalis recorded with the Tomasi on the CBS album from the mid 80s)with piano extremely well before a live audience in Jordan Hall. He barely missed anything, if anything, and sounded absolutely rock solid throughout. I've heard that piece played far worse by some established professional players.

If you're out there on this board -- Bravo!

Rich
CTeneyck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe web site is http://www.fromthetop.org -- but I didn't see any trumpeters recently. It's a terrific show.
gustav
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of whom you are talking about. he is from Atlanta,Ga and his name is Wheley i believe that might not be the correct spelling. I talked to my teacher about him several weeks ago. His teacher is Joe Watlhal a member of the Atlanta Symphony. I have the mp3 of the performance and thought it was wonderful. From what i understand he gave up a full ride to Julliard instead going to Havard for pre law.
lemonwedge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His name is John Lee Joseph Armstrong, 17, from TN. Its on the audio show page area, on the web page posted above. The show is Jan 28-Feb 11, he is the last person listed. If you have Real Player you can listen to the whole piece. Pretty impressive!
Hech, I'm in my last year of law school, and I just realized all I really want to do is play trumpet. Go figure?
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW he was very good. I just heard the sound clip. Shows that I have a long way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: