• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Leaking Air...*scared*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bootleg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played trumpet for a while now, but recently, I am taking it more seriously, and practicing daily instead of the odd once in a while before. I've always played with my mouthpiece right in the middle of my lips and with it slightly to the upper half of my lips...which is very standard.

And for many years, its been fine, and I've haven't had any troubles with it.

But just today, I was practising, and I noticed that there was a small stream of air coming out of the top left to middle left side of my mouthpiece. I got worried, because I was like "WTF."

I never noticed this before, and I don't know if it was just happening today because my lips were kinda fatigued from playing lots the past few days. I moved it to the left and it leaked more and I moved it to the right a little and it stopped leaking, but it feels REALLY awkward and I can't buzz properly.

I got my braces off about couple months ago and been wearing a retainer, however I take it off to play. Is this the reason for it?

Its kinda freaking me out, cause I am leaking a little air when I play. But when I apply a little more mouthpiece pressure, it seals up the gap.

Should I try and correct my mouthpiece placement? or should I wait and see if it goes away?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not to worry is the best choice. I've always leaked a little air from the right side. It's a good way to irritate egotistical brass players who sit on my right. Usually my playing requirements call on me to play so loud all the time that no one will ever hear the leaking.

You're most likely going through a transition phase which will iron out the problem fairly soon. In fact I'm almost sure of that.

Another way to get rid of a jerk trumpet player in the section is to eat a lot of beans shortly before performing. Be sure to warn the good players in the section beforehand then pass gas as necessary...

Keep up the practicing, but don't overdo it. Relax and try not to worry. You'll be fine.

Lee
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I tend to leak a little air from the corners, and I play off-center. The other day, I was playing around on a friend's clarinet and found that my corners were so much stronger after that. Might be something to look into.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firm up the corners, keep them in as you ascend. Like little fists on either side of the teeth, just firm up and pull in towards the center. Not stretched or in a smile.
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something kind of weird happened the other day..I was at an outdoor concert just up the street from me. It was a quintet, you know, two trumpets, tuba, french horn + trombone. The guy who was playing the cornet was leaking air all over the place..I could actually hear the air leaking at the end of a note. (!) Very strange sounding....I felt so bad for the guy, although everything he was playing sounded great, just that weird noise.

Bonnie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
atom_anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that when I'm a little tense, I have too much tension in my lips and air leaks. When I relax my lips a little, while still keeping the corners firm (firm, not clenched) the leaking stops. If your embouchure is anything like mine, this could help; although consciously trying to relax lips is not easy!

-Atom
nicolashuang

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if my advise would be of any use, but this is my personal experience:
I was trying out a new embouchure which uses a roll in. I had a very great improvement in my range and tone immediately. I played with very little rests in between, and ignored my fatigued lips. Not long after, I started to feel pain in my left corner. After a few more days I found that I could no longer play high G, when I played that note, air leaked from the left corner. After a few more days, I could only play middle C. I got desperate and took a week off. When I came back, I could play only middle C again, and then it got worse. After a few more days, it was impossible for me to keep the left corner rolled in. I've taken up to 3-4 weeks off the trumpet but to no avail. I then changed back to my old embouchure which worked for a while (it used a lot of mpc pressure and not corners). I discovered the importance of minimal mouthpiece pressure and to work on an efficient embouchure when I was browsing the web, so I tried to change. But I found out that my lips never really recovered, they would tremble when I form the embouchure. Now I'm taking a 1 year break from the trumpet. Its so bad that its painful and tiring for me to speak.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your teacher is any good, he should be able to help you overcome this leak, but in the meantime, you should rest assured that only the players in your immediate vicinity will be able to hear this air leak, and no one in an audience setting ought to be. Incidentally, a very prestigious trumpet player had an incurable air leak that came not from his lips, but from a gash in his throat that never fully closed up after an injury. Just to make it interesting, I won't give his name, but will wait for someone to give the correct answer.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This only happens to me when I have been playing for a long time loud. It does not effect tone quality or (surprisingly) phrasing because it is usually such a small amount.
Bootleg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leak seems to be dying down now. Its not a huge leak..just a little stream of air...I didn't even notice it myself until i felt it against my hand when i put it around my mouth...

I guess it was because my embouchure was a little tired out and I was struggling to hold it together. I didn't practice much after I found out the leak and decided to rest a little.

And now, it seems to be a little better. Thanks for the advice guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MarchardFerguson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad we could help, I hope it doesn't come again, but if it did, it isnot the end of the world
MarchardFerguson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-08-04 07:55, nicolashuang wrote:
I don't know if my advise would be of any use, but this is my personal experience:
I was trying out a new embouchure which uses a roll in. I had a very great improvement in my range and tone immediately. I played with very little rests in between, and ignored my fatigued lips. Not long after, I started to feel pain in my left corner. After a few more days I found that I could no longer play high G, when I played that note, air leaked from the left corner. After a few more days, I could only play middle C. I got desperate and took a week off. When I came back, I could play only middle C again, and then it got worse. After a few more days, it was impossible for me to keep the left corner rolled in. I've taken up to 3-4 weeks off the trumpet but to no avail. I then changed back to my old embouchure which worked for a while (it used a lot of mpc pressure and not corners). I discovered the importance of minimal mouthpiece pressure and to work on an efficient embouchure when I was browsing the web, so I tried to change. But I found out that my lips never really recovered, they would tremble when I form the embouchure. Now I'm taking a 1 year break from the trumpet. Its so bad that its painful and tiring for me to speak.

Hey, if you are taking a whole year off the trumpet you should take up another instrument to keep learning musically. I suggest the piano, your knowledge of both clefs will definitely help you. Or you could play a cheap sax. The sax is fairly easy and you won't have to worry too much about sore chops because it has an octave key. Just remember, trumpet isn't always the goal, it is music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: