• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What time at the day do your practice range?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetAlways

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: What time at the day do your practice range? Reply with quote

If you practice heavy duty range exercises, do you play them in the morning, afternoon or at night when all the rest of the playing is done ?
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best time to work on tour upper register is when your chops are fresh. It's when you work on range exerises with tired lips that bad habits ,such as excessive pressure, tend to creep into your playing.

So I prefer working on range first, then after plenty of rest,everything else.
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Innella wrote:
The best time to work on tour upper register is when your chops are fresh. It's when you work on range exerises with tired lips that bad habits ,such as excessive pressure, tend to creep into your playing.

So I prefer working on range first, then after plenty of rest,everything else.

It seems counter-intuitive at first, but I completely agree with Al. I work the high range immediately after a good warm-up. If I try to play high when I'm tired, all sorts of technical problems turn up as "compensation."

If I exercise my high range early and carefully, I don't use pressure, pinching, etc. and as a result the high range practice doesn't adversely affect the rest of my day.

I just stumbled onto this "truth" working from the Cat Anderson book. The advice there was to do the exercises in the morning and play your gigs or rehearsals later in the day. I was skeptical and expected to turn up at rehearsals half-spent. DIDN'T HAPPEN.

Don't bruise yourself practicing with bad technique any time of day. Otherwise, Al's nailed it.

Tommy T.

Last edited by tommy t. on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to do a little of everything three or four times a day in sessions of 20 to 30 minutes each.

I've learned a lot about how to practice by reading advice from pro golfers. You'd be amazed at how similar the two skills are. For example, leading golf instructors emphasize proper warm-up, flexibility, posture, mechanics, breathing, focus, imaging, and tempo. They also advocate slow swing drills and careful repetition.

Sound familiar?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
I try to do a little of everything three or four times a day in sessions of 20 to 30 minutes each.

Everybody is so different. Personally, I found that the short-session-several-times-a-day routines did not support the endurance I needed.

I like a couple of hours in the a.m. working on technique and a couple of hours in the p.m. working on music.

(That's not to say that my particular results speak to such a routine being a guaranteed route to the triple octave or a big label recording contract. That kind of schedule also happens to fit my life-style as retired person who plays in a bunch of bands that rehearse and perform in the evenings.)

Tommy T.
ruotjoh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually go to range exercises after some softer etudes when I feel that I'm well warmed up. I don't think that one should use too much time in upper register studies at once. It's better to play couple minutes and then go to something else. Rest as much as you play and then start again working your range. Otherwise you'll just burn yourself up too fast.
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work on my range after I have done my warmup and my other practice. It is usually a seperate session later in the day. I don't do any more exercises, I play a bunch of tunes from my repertoire up an octave. Some would be appropriate for performance that way, some not. When I start to feel exhausted or near cramping, I do some pedal tone warm down stuff, and then quit for the day...
jbq
ArmyTrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to work range when my chops feel warm, but not fatigued. Working for range when tired, for me, usually promotes bad habits.
jmmunoz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always remember to practice at a time that is best for you. Never practice when fatigued in order to prevent bad habits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: