• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A better Trumpet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johall15

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: A better Trumpet? Reply with quote

So on this comeback path, I've realized that some of my difficulties may be in my instrument choice. I recently upgraded my Flugelhorn and am looking to do the same with my Trumpet. I splurged on my Flugel, getting a Kanstul 1525. As funds are running a little short, I'm looking around for a nice used trumpet that will be better than what I just found out was a Chinese Trumpet (no wonder I was having intonation issues). I recently found a Getzen Model 700 Eterna II on my local Craigslist. Looks to be in pretty good condition. The seller is asking $600. Is this a good price for the horn? I'm not looking for a super high-end, just a nice horn to continue the comeback path. My only playing (other than practice) is in my very small, church band, so no-one looks down their nose at not having a top-of-the-line instrument.

Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia - Pi Tau '92
1941 Conn 22B
Kanstul 1525
gbshelbymi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to find an older horn in really nice shape for a lot less than $600.
crose
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent
gbshelbymi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1940s-C-G-Conn-Ltd-Trumpet-Elkhart-IN-w-Gig-Bag-/140917724016

Send this guy a message and find out what model it is. This one could be a dandy at a good price.
johall15

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting....sent him a message so we'll see. I don't know much about Conn. I used Yamaha exclusively in school...from a beginner cornet to a pro model cornet (not sure what model), and an intermediate trumpet....all Yamaha. Due to a series of stupid decisions I no longer have any of them...so trying to not make anymore mistakes.

1941 Conn 22B
Kanstul 1525
gbshelbymi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a beauty in that 22b. Very well done. Congrats.
johall15

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did! Now I can't wait to get it in my hands! As soon as it comes in I've already contacted my old trumpet teacher from my freshman year in college. He still provides lessons in my area. Now with the proper tools, let the REAL comeback begin!

1941 Conn 22B
Kanstul 1525
johall15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn came in on Friday. It was just as the seller promised. Valves and slides are VERY nice! Plays superbly! Now just to get the Trumpeter back into shape! I have my first lesson in 20 years from my "old" college trumpet teacher on Wednesday. Look out world, here I come!!!

1941 Conn 22B
Kanstul 1525
gbshelbymi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats again on a great looking horn. You did VERY well with that horn. And good luck with the lessons and on the comeback trail.
Nowling

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johall15 wrote:
I have my first lesson in 20 years from my "old" college trumpet teacher on Wednesday. Look out world, here I come!!!

Awesome. Good luck from a fellow comebacker.
Accent (B&S) A/Bb Piccolo
E3L Eb/D No-name knockoff/prototype

"It's just tube of brass that requires a musician to make a sound." -Me
johall15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got done with my 1st official lesson. It's good to hear from a professional player and educator that I'm not as bad as I thought I was!!! Sure, I've got some things to work on, but now I've got some direction, and a lot more confidence than I had before!

1941 Conn 22B
Kanstul 1525
johall15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, n00b question here. On my 1941 Conn 22B, It plays great, and I'm loving it, really getting back into the swing of things now that I have a clear direction, a decent horn, and some proper instruction. The 3rd valve slide on the 22B does not have any type of stop mechanism. The slide on my horn works very well, maybe a little too well! I've noticed several times when I put it down on my stand that the 3rd valve slide falls off the horn. When I'm at home practicing, it's no big deal, but when I'm switching between Flugel/Trumpet on the fly at church, if I'm not careful, I'm afraid I'll try to play without the slide, or that I'll take too much time mid-performance to pick the slide back up and put it back in the horn.

So my question is, is there a good, permanent solution? I've seen some suggestions online about using fishing line to anchor the slide to the 3rd valve casing...I'd like a more permanent solution though. If I took the horn in to my local repair shop and had them add a stop on the 3rd valve, would I be significantly reducing the value of the horn since it wouldn't be a "factory" modification?

Thanks for any input you could provide!

1941 Conn 22B
Kanstul 1525
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means get a soft cord and tie a loose loop that attaches the slide to a fixed part of the horn. If it's good enough for Monette then it's good enough for your horn, right?

But seriously, I'd definitely take it to a GOOD pro shop and see what they recommend as the cleanest way to attach a stop mechanism. It shouldn't be a big deal on devalue the horn appreciably.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
C.E.Divine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think soft cord would be the ideal route. It is definitely cheaper.
BixFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it's funny how us comebackers seem to favor old horns - I'm using my Strad a lot, but I also just picked up a 1939 King Master Model cornet that's a lot of fun. I'm only 1970s vintage, myself.
DR S

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your comeback venture.

A very simple solution to holding your 3rd valve slide on is to get one of those black elastic cloth covered bands that women use to put their hair into pony tails. Pull your 2nd valve slide out, put one end of the band over the top tube, put slide back in, and put the other end of the band over your 3rd slide finger ring. (Make sure not to use something like a regular rubber band, those have a tendency to mess up the trumpet's finish.)

I always have one on my trumpets that I use, especially in musicals, because of many times having to make page turns with my left hand while continuing to play.
Yamaha Custom Picc.
Yamaha Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: