• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which GR mouthpiece?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GenevaProp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many different mouthpiece sizing systems out there that I've become lost in the jumble. I was interested in GR pieces, and I was wondering which models are considered the best for all around playing, I'm owndering which would be similar to a bach 3C.
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the site http://www.grmouthpieces.com and fill out the questionaire for Brian. You'll get some great feedback on what you need to try out.

Kurt Z
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, fill in the questionaire and speak with Brian. A lot will depend on the nature of your playing and your goals.
MarchardFerguson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my GR for Christmas, I hadn't speaked to Brian, I just told mom which one I needed. I really wish I did even though I got a great mouthpiece
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-08-06 09:15, MarchardFerguson wrote:
When I got my GR for Christmas, I hadn't speaked to Brian, I just told mom which one I needed. I really wish I did even though I got a great mouthpiece

Which one do you have? Depending on your playing circumstances you might want to buy an additional piece. I use the 66MS for most of my gigs, playing rock/commercial stuff and have a 66LX for when I want a fuller, more "legit" sound. Not that the MS is bright, but the LX is indeed fuller and closer to my old Mount Vernon 1 1/2C (but much more efficient).
MarchardFerguson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, my piece is great, it is medium deep and has the same rim as a bach 1c, sorry I am at work right now, I don't have the piece. It might be big but I get a nice big sound for all the jamming I do and I don't need the high register all the time
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a hold of Bruce Lee. He will get you squared away. His screen name is "The General". He's pretty good at finding pieces for everyone. Drop him a line.

Nick
Cheechoo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the 3M which has a flatter rim than the other GR pieces. I'm not sure how the diameter compares but the measurements are on the GR site.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GR 66*** is a good rim, too. It's seems more comfortable to me than the 66M. Both are good pieces. Both seem similar to the Bach 3C I used to play, but both enable better range and tone for me. The *** was designed by either Brian or Gary, I forget which, who was coming back from some dental work and wanted something that would be more comfortable.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
BenTreason

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the GR pieces I've had the opportunity to try all played fairly well with a very centered core of sound. I've heard that you can go to the GR website and email them about sizing and advice about which mouthpiece you should try. I think that they send you a survey of sorts that you fill out and send back and based on that, they make their beginning recommendations. Best of luck with it.
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bach 3C is generally around the GR 66 Series in diameter. I say generally because we have measured 3C's that are closer to 7's or 1 1/2's.
That being said, GR offers a few rim choices in the 66 diameter. The 3 Series rim has a slightly flatter rim than the GR standard and may feel similar to your Bach 3C rim. The standard is slightly more rounded and generous in width without sacrificing flexibility. The G rim which was designed by Gary Radtke (as are all GR Mouthpieces!) has a similar bite and feel to it but with a larger outside radius. This puts a bit more effective rim surface on the chops for more support, especially up high.

For a similar volume to the 3C, have a look at the 3M, 3HC*,3MX, 66M, 66MX, and G66***. These are all in a similar ballpark so to speak but with different playing and feel characteristics.

If you need any further assistance, feel free to e-mail me or any GR dealer found on the GR website. Bruce Lee is a great resource as he is frequently on the Herald and a GR dealer.

B. Scriver
http://www.brianscriver.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: