• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Do you care about the tongue level debate?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you care about the tongue level physics debate?
Yes
26%
 26%  [ 12 ]
No
41%
 41%  [ 19 ]
Please shut up about it already.
32%
 32%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 46

Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Do you care about the tongue level debate? Reply with quote

Periodically, there is a "debate" of sorts that breaks out in the threads between those that advocate the teaching of tongue level and those that believe that physics proves that it does nothing.

Did this dialogue interest you?
Does it continue to?

Do you wish they'd give it a rest?

Comments...
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be that we mix the cause, the main effect and the side effect. We all can (hopefully) agree that the tongue arch (up) causes the oral cavity to become smaller. After that, we all go on different tangents with the interpretation.

As far as I understand, tongue arch (up) allows the oral cavity to resonate with some of the higher frequency components of the sound. It does not help with a higher fundamental component because the size of the oral cavity is too small for that frequency (compare the length of the horn divided by two, three, four etc with the size of your mouth). What we feel when such resonance occurs is a "tingling" sensation on the surface of the oral cavity (especially tongue). We interpret this as "air is fast".

For the sizzling projecting sound (a periodic series of small shock waves), have a look on the frequency spectrum of Wayne Bergeron, Allen Vizzutti etc (this analysis can be done with Audacity). In trumpet, the shock waves travel just a bit (not much!) faster than the speed of sound. Thus, for the same notes played, one would have to use a slightly smaller oral cavity (higher arch) at ff than at pp.

Could I ask for corroboration (or refutation) of this?
Pete Anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I care about it but I thought we had long ago determined the facts about it and there should be no debate... I guess it needs to keep happening

So much of trumpet pedagogy is based on false science. I think it's important that the facts about what actually physically happens when a person plays the trumpet are available. That's not to say that the "traditional" advice isn't useful, however. Even if an analogy isn't technically accurate it can still help someone get closer to where they need to be.

I grudgingly read through these threads because I find that I usually learn a thing or two or gain a new perspective even though I thought I had a good handle on it.

I guess these debates are a necessary evil.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to be mainly a vehicle for frustrated keyboard warriors to vent their spleens.

They all know they're not changing anyone's mind, but they can't control themselves.

The only perceptible result is that it makes TH overall seem like a much less friendly and helpful forum.
Pete Anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
They all know they're not changing anyone's mind, but they can't control themselves.

The problem is this: if someone posts a piece of inaccurate information and nobody corrects him, some unknowing person is going to read it and think it's accurate.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:

Pete Anderson wrote:
The problem is this: if someone posts a piece of inaccurate information and nobody corrects him, some unknowing person is going to read it and think it's accurate.

After the initial post and the opposing "correction" it inevitably devolves into a tennis match and the initial point and question of the thread is lost as the players whack the proverbial ball back and forth across the net.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The posts in this thread are very similar to the posts in the threads about censoring our dear cap'n.

I can only give the same advice that annoys me so much in those threads. Just ignore the posts if you are tired of them.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
The posts in this thread are very similar to the posts in the threads about censoring our dear cap'n.

I can only give the same advice that annoys me so much in those threads. Just ignore the posts if you are tired of them.

I do. When people start lecturing on pressure formulas and physics equations, I skip ahead, and I was almost a physics major. I was offered a fairly large scholarship to study physics back in the day. I'd probably have a better job if I had gone that route. Ah well...

I just don't find the science of this debate particularly compelling.

However, I made a comment on that thread that "no one cares" which was answered by "how do you know?"

I thought - fair enough, let's see if people are interested in that topic. Thus the thread...

I'm actually surprised that the poll is that close. I guess people like a tennis match...
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn

Last edited by Crazy Finn on Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete Anderson wrote:
RandyTX wrote:

You're making an assumption that at least one of them is correct. Otherwise, they couldn't correct somebody else about their "innacurate information".

I'm not convinced anyone has made a compelling enough case to prove they're right. Both sides *think* they can. The evidence seems to be primarily comprised of "I can say it more times than you can, so I'll win by trying to get the last word in."
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
...We all can (hopefully) agree that the tongue arch (up) causes the oral cavity to become smaller...

I largely ignore these tongue discussions, and know very little of what's discussed in them, but I guess I don't agree. Unless you can completely seal off an open part of your oral cavity with your tongue, I don't see how a different position makes the cavity smaller. The volume taken up by the tongue is the same wherever it's placed. I can see how it would channel the air differently, though.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I personally find tedious is when people use a metaphor to describe something (metaphors are often very useful teaching tools) and then insist that the metaphor is not a metaphor but the real thing.

I had to laugh the other day, someone contrasted "warm air" versus "cold air" when blowing into the mouthpiece. Dude, the air is the same temperature, regardless of how it feels on your arm when you blow it.

But as a teaching aid, eh, perhaps not so bad.

I personally believe in the oral cavity size theory, myself. In fact, since we're talking about resonant systems, which includes your mouth, throat, and lungs, I wonder if there's a nodal point in your mouth somewhere that you're affecting by changing that oral cavity.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had to laugh the other day, someone contrasted "warm air" versus "cold air" when blowing into the mouthpiece. Dude, the air is the same temperature, regardless of how it feels on your arm when you blow it.

Are you sure? That depends on what is happening. The experience is most likely a result of some sort of Wind Chill factor across the lips.

But like I said in the most recent debate to occur... At the end of the day, who cares really. If the analogy is valid or not. You try it, try and understand what they are talking about, and if when applied to the trumpet it produces a positive result (which is normally clear enough to experience with these things) then go ahead and use it. If you try it and it produces a negative result, perhaps don't use it.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StupidBrassObsession wrote:
Quote:

Are you sure? That depends on what is happening. The experience is most likely a result of some sort of Wind Chill factor across the lips.

But like I said in the most recent debate to occur... At the end of the day, who cares really. If the analogy is valid or not. You try it, try and understand what they are talking about, and if when applied to the trumpet it produces a positive result (which is normally clear enough to experience with these things) then go ahead and use it. If you try it and it produces a negative result, perhaps don't use it.

Yes, I am quite sure.

But, you're right. People would get into a lot less trouble if they don't try to make up explanations.

Try it, it might work for you... or it might not.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
etc-etc wrote:
...We all can (hopefully) agree that the tongue arch (up) causes the oral cavity to become smaller...

I largely ignore these tongue discussions, and know very little of what's discussed in them, but I guess I don't agree. Unless you can completely seal off an open part of your oral cavity with your tongue, I don't see how a different position makes the cavity smaller. The volume taken up by the tongue is the same wherever it's placed. I can see how it would channel the air differently, though.

Thank you for correction! Unless the tongue swells as it arches up, the volume should stay constant. However, does the raised tongue block off the access to the lower part of the oral cavity?
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between cold and warm air is the degree of mixing of the cold ambient air with the original warm air flow. Run a simple experiment: blow air on your hand so that it feels cold. Without changing the flow aperture, move the hand closer to the aperture. The air flow will become warmer once you are almost on the aperture.

VetPsychWars wrote:
What I personally find tedious is when people use a metaphor to describe something (metaphors are often very useful teaching tools) and then insist that the metaphor is not a metaphor but the real thing.

I personally believe in the oral cavity size theory, myself. In fact, since we're talking about resonant systems, which includes your mouth, throat, and lungs, I wonder if there's a nodal point in your mouth somewhere that you're affecting by changing that oral cavity.

Tom
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
The difference between cold and warm air is the degree of mixing of the cold ambient air with the original warm air flow. Run a simple experiment: blow air on your hand so that it feels cold. Without changing the flow aperture, move the hand closer to the aperture. The air flow will become warmer once you are almost on the aperture.

VetPsychWars wrote:

Tom

Sorry. Doesn't wash.

The temperature of the air flow does not change. The perception of it changes because your hand, like the rest of you, cools using sweat and air flow.

Try it with a sensitive thermometer and we'll see.

But in any event, it has about zero to do with trumpet playing. It was a metaphor used by the person who posted about it to describe the difference between a large aperture and a small aperture when ascending pitch. As a metaphor to describe aperture size, it was functional. It assigned otherwise-arbitrary words to a desired effect.

That's all it did. Call it Fred and Wilma. A and B. 1 and 2.

The symbol is not the thing.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
In trumpet, the shock waves travel just a bit (not much!) faster than the speed of sound. Thus, for the same notes played, one would have to use a slightly smaller oral cavity (higher arch) at ff than at pp.

Consider it refuted!

I believe that the error comes primarily from interpreting frequency spikes in the spectrum as "shock waves."

It is true that, in something like aerodynamics, a point on the slanted edge of the expanding sound cone propagates forward at a speed higher that the speed of sound, but this occurs only when the object generating the sound is moving faster that the speed of sound. That slanted edge, not the sound waves behind it, is the shock wave.

One might ask: What part of your trumpet or your anatomy is moving faster than the speed of sound so as to create a "shock wave" in the technical sense?

Pete Anderson wrote:
So much of trumpet pedagogy is based on false science. I think it's important that the facts about what actually physically happens when a person plays the trumpet are available.

Tommy T.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shock waves in trumpet were observed by Schlieren method.
Abstract:
"A sensitive, large-aperture schlieren optical instrument is applied to observe gas-dynamic phenomena at the exit of a trumpet. Shock waves are seen, especially for loud, high-pitched trumpet notes, and several illustrations are given. Microphone waveforms are given for representative examples. These shock waves arise from the shock-tube-like effect of the performer's intermittent breath pressure driving the cylindrical duct of the trumpet, and are the result of cumulative nonlinear acoustic propagation inside the trumpet bore. They are, however, very weak, traveling only marginally above the acoustic speed. In the 118-124 peak dB(A) range, they are near the weak limit of shock wave visibility by schlieren optics. The schlieren evidence confirms that the frequency of the emitted shock waves corresponds to the frequency of the note being played. Ancillary laminar and turbulent jet phenomena associated with the performer's breath are also visible in the images."

Thus, no part of your body or trumpet moves at a supersonic speed. It is only the air that does, and then barely above the speed of the sound.

tommy t. wrote:
etc-etc wrote:
In trumpet, the shock waves travel just a bit (not much!) faster than the speed of sound. Thus, for the same notes played, one would have to use a slightly smaller oral cavity (higher arch) at ff than at pp.

Consider it refuted!

I believe that the error comes primarily from interpreting frequency spikes in the spectrum as "shock waves."

It is true that, in something like aerodynamics, a point on the slanted edge of the expanding sound cone propagates forward at a speed higher that the speed of sound, but this occurs only when the object generating the sound is moving faster that the speed of sound. That slanted edge, not the sound waves behind it, is the shock wave.

One might ask: What part of your trumpet or your anatomy is moving faster than the speed of sound so as to create a "shock wave" in the technical sense?

Pete Anderson wrote:
So much of trumpet pedagogy is based on false science. I think it's important that the facts about what actually physically happens when a person plays the trumpet are available.

Tommy T.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:

(snip)

Sorry. Doesn't wash.

The temperature of the air flow does not change. The perception of it changes because your hand, like the rest of you, cools using sweat and air flow.

Try it with a sensitive thermometer and we'll see.

(snip)

Tom

This is "fluid entrainment", same mechanism on which the atomizer (fluid pulverizer) is based. Except that in this case, the entrained fluid is gas, not liquid.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I change my vote in the poll to #3 ?...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: