• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mpc storage for Walt Johnson Trpt/Flugel case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just recieved a beautiful Walt Johnson trumpet/Flugel/Mutes combo case that I bought on eBay. I love this thing -- and my horns love it, too!

The one thing that this case doesn't have, though, is a place for mouthpieces (at least not in the "dedicated mpc hole" sense). I'd like to be able to have 2 mpc's with each horn. You guys that have this case, what are you using and what do you recommend?

This WJ case is everything I've ever heard -- one of the best horn investments I've made (other than the horns themselves!).

D.
Conn Vintage One Flugelhorn -- GR66FD
Yamaha YCR-6335HS Cornet -- Sparx 3
---
"He heals the brokenhearted, and bandages their wounds" -- Psalm 147:3
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2 mp wolfpak that fits in the square hole next to the harmon spot. You do need some type of pouch for your mouthpieces. I also have kiwi and Schilke pouches that I use. Does your case have the compartment in the top section? the only thing with that is I am always worried that whatever I have in there is going to roll out on my flugel when I open it. I think that compartment was designed to hold spider stands, BTW
DC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've considered the Wolfpak -- looks almost like that place was made for something like it. How well does the Wolfpak fit? Is there room for two of them?

Mine does have the space in the top... and I share your fear of stuff rolling out when it's opened. I'm trying to stick to non-metalic items like a bottle of valve oil and my (plastic case) tuner, for just that reason... but then again the velcro keeps it tight when closed right, and if I let things fall out when I opein it deliberately, whose fault is that? I have those store-in-the-bell stands for both horns, so stand space isn't an issue. The only thing I wish there was more of is mute space. The round hole is just right for a harmon mute, or for a cup mute... and by using something like Harmon's 3-in-one cup/straight/plunger mute, the one hole can be used very efficiently... but I wish there were a second spot like it to allow both the 3-in-one AND a regular Harmon. That would cover over 95% of needs, IMHO.

I love it even without the second mute spot. It's the best trumpet/flugel combo I've seen.

D.
---
Rick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was purchasing my Walt Johnson Trumpet/Flugel case I spoke with both Walt and Rosslyn (Walt's wife?). It was suggested to me that you take an exacto knife and cut a small opening (maybe shaped like an X) in the foam wherever you want your mouthpiece(s) stored. Apparently, the foam would resume it shape after the mouthpiece(s) was (were) inserted and that would keep it (them) in place. I always thought there was some sort of plastic mouthpiece insert you could buy that would fit into the opening cut into the foam - never found one though.

I ended up buying a 4 mpc. pouch and keeping it in the rectangular opening beside the mute opening. Works fine but be careful when you open up the pouch that the mouthpiece(s) doesn't (don't) fall out and hit your horn(s). I accidently dinged my flugel that way >

Cheer!!!!
pair of kings
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, sorry. I was just putting my stuff in my WJ case when I realized I was wrong in what I told you earlier. The Wolf Pak 2 mouthpiece case fits in the harmon spot. It is too big to fit in the other space next to it. The 2 mp wolfpak case is 3 inches wide. Hope you didn't go buy one because of me saying it wil fit where it won't.
PC
DC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for the record, I decided to try the technique that Rick suggested -- using an x-acto knife to make mouthpiece storage spots in the foam. It worked wonderfully! I've made places for four mouthpieces, and they're very happy in their new places of rest... and the square hole is still available for other stuff!

Thanks, Rick!

D.
---
Grendy

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's the best thing that you should do!
i also want to have it! were did you get it?

gchun

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Cavallaro quad mouthpiece roll in the rectangular/square slot next to the harmon cutout. This particular roll "rolls" a bit and fits snugly in that slot.

Garry
oljackboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a two-mouthpiece pouch and it fits in the rectangular hole along with a small bottle of Ultra-Pure. I carry a cup mute by using the Dennis Wick that comes apart. I wrap the mute in a handkerchief and store it in the bell of the flugelhorn. I put the cup in a Crown Royal Bag and nest it in the void of the front part of the flugel. I have a Pixie mute and a Hercules Trav-l-lite stand in the velcro closed compartment. Plunger goes in another Crown Royal bag and fits in the rear void of the flugel. Trumpet stand stays in the trumpet bell.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing you have to take a x-acto knife to a $400+ case for basic functionality.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
It's amazing you have to take a x-acto knife to a $400+ case for basic functionality.

Walt Johnson makes flight cases. Their primary function is to offer maximum protection. There is a small chance that a mouthpiece might get jarred loose from a traditional hole-in-the-foam location and turn into a loose chunk of brass, denting the heck out of one of your horns. I've always put my mouthpieces in a Bob Reeves two-mouthpiece pouch and put that in the rectangular slot. No muss, no fuss, and no worries.

I have a WJ trombone case too, and other trombone players have commented, unfavorably, on the fact that I have to push the tuning slide all the way in to put the bell in the case. When I ordered the case Walt recommended that he size it for the slide-all-the-way-in bell length, because that way there's no chance of the slide getting pushed in by an impact -- which would then allow the bell section to move back and forth in the case, allowing the bell flare to be bent. Because it's a flight case, designed for maximum protection -- not maximum convenience.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:

Walt Johnson makes flight cases. Their primary function is to offer maximum protection. There is a small chance that a mouthpiece might get jarred loose from a traditional hole-in-the-foam location and turn into a loose chunk of brass, denting the heck out of one of your horns. I've always put my mouthpieces in a Bob Reeves two-mouthpiece pouch and put that in the rectangular slot. No muss, no fuss, and no worries.

Well, I guess if there's a contained rectangular slot that is usable for mouthpieces - then there is already basic functionality.

Considering all of the carefulness in design, you wouldn't think a small simple fully-enclosed compartment is really too much to ask. My student trombone case has one. I'm sure Walt Johnson could come up with something, if they wanted to. I could design one in 5 minutes.

The mouthpiece is part of the instrument. There should be a place for it. We don't expect violinists to have a separate case for their bow or flautists to carry their headjoints separately.

I don't care if there's a traditional mouthpiece slot, I just want some sort of safe storage for 1-2 mouthpieces. In my gig bag and my ProTec double, there's zippered pouches - and that's good enough.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a fully-enclosed compartment in the lid, with velcro to keep it closed. That compartment is large enough for two spider stands and some valve oil, so that's what I've always used it for. At that point there isn't enough room for my Reeves mouthpiece pouch, so I put it in the rectangular slot in the bottom of the case.
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My WJ cases came with the x in the foam for the mouthpiece, which didn't really appeal to me. I took the plastic mouthpiece holder (molded plastic, sort of looks like a funnel) out of an old ProTec single case and, glued it into the hole in the foam with contact cement. Works great.
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes carry more mouthpieces in my cases than spots for the mouthpieces. So, I purchased an assortment of ProTec mouthpiece pouches - single, double, and quadruple. They are not that expensive and are a nice way to store them in my den when not in the cases. Offer a lot of protection and won't go banging around in the case.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
There is a fully-enclosed compartment in the lid, with velcro to keep it closed. That compartment is large enough for two spider stands and some valve oil, so that's what I've always used it for. At that point there isn't enough room for my Reeves mouthpiece pouch, so I put it in the rectangular slot in the bottom of the case.

Sounds good to me. All these comments about no space for a mouthpiece made me wonder about the amount of space. I guess people are just using the space for other things.

It surprised me, as my friend's alto sax case had room for basic stuff, like a mouthpiece, a few reeds, and such things.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: