• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Smooth Jazz

View previous topic :: View next topic  
atom_anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, lots of folks hate it with the blatant commercialization of jazz for the masses, blah, blah, blah.

I really love listening to Miles Davis, Roy Hargrove, Clifford Brown, Lee Morgan, etc. but lately I've also started listening to Chris Botti and Rick Braun. Especially in the car while I'm driving through rush hour traffic. The music is mellow, the tone is nice and the music is (to me) enjoyable.

Are there any other smooth jazz trumpet players that you would recommend? I'd appreciate any CDs that you could suggest.

-Atom
MarkHeuer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000069DIV/qid=1060349108/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-7927885-9640803?v=glance&s=music
atom_anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

I bought this CD today and I like it also!

-Atom
Shaker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see nothing wrong with what these guys play. If they're making money playing it, then it must not be too bad. A lot of people have problems with Smooth Jazz. I think most of it has to do with the name... because some insist it isn't jazz. I, honestly, see nothing wrong with playing it (unless you're Kenny G). Maybe they should just think up something else to call the style.

Chris Botti is an extremely talented trumpet player. He could play pretty much anything you put in front of him, I bet. He just chose to make a living playing this particular style. In case you didn't know, he's co-host/band leader of some talk show that comes on ABC. The show sucks, but I've watched it a couple times just to watch Chris play. Does anybody know the name of the show he's on?

-WP
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this genre, I very much like Botti and Braun also. I really like the tone quality and finesse that these guys have. They both have a great sound and play with excellent control. I'm not really familiar with other names, but I 'll guess if you take a look at Amazon.com you will find a lot of them...
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Sax player Eric Merienthal.

He has an album with Botti on it. It's the one with "WorkSong" on it and "Mercy, Mercy". Sorry can't think of the title of the CD.
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you guys know, Rick Braun's custom mouthpiece is a hair smaller in the basic dimensions than the Shew 1.5. Now who said you needed a large mouthpiece to play with a lush dark sound?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: