• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New King Silver Flair vs Older King Silver Flair

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
iiipopes wrote:
You could not pay me to play a Silver Flair made after the Conn-Selmer cyborg took over. If I did not have my current pre-cyborg Super 20, a pre-cyborg Silver Flair would be next on my list.

For marching way back when I was in school in the late 70's, Mom understood the value of my Dad's Super 20 (which was later stolen), and purchased a used King Cleveland for me to march with in parade, when I wasn't playing a school souzy on the football field. The Cleveland was a surprisingly good horn. Many of my classmates played them in concert band. And it was cheap: $75 with case in 1978! When I graduated, of course I was able to sell it for what I paid for it. I only sold it because the undergrad I went to did not have a football team, and still does not, so no need for a "marching horn."

Comments like this just shows ignorance.

Really? Whose? My posts are based on over 45 years of experience and playing many horns: mine, friends, tryout in stores, and I am entitled to my opinions. I do not care for the post-cyborg horns, having played the Silver Flair and all the other models that have come out in the last twenty years.

You are entitled to your opinions; I am entitled to mine, and I stand by my posts.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to love all those who predict damage to horns due to marching. I used my Bach marching in high school and college, never had any damage.

However, I did end up with major damage backstage prior to going on TV.

There are many stories of horns being damaged on stage. Should we not use our good horns on stage due to the risk?

Accidents happen. The marching environment is accident prone so take extra care.

BTW, I did purchase a second horn for my son to use on the field and for daily concert band practice.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure that the real issue is damage so much as, just like an automobile without an air cleaner, it is the accumulation of dust and other gunk that makes it more difficult to clean.

Then again, if the player's band does a lot of show-band marching drills and routines, the more the horns move around, yes, the more chance of banging into something.

Yes, I marched a time or two with my Dad's early-'50's Super 20 before I got the Cleveland, and it was quite the chore to clean it afterwards!
Bicestertrumpeter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
chef8489 wrote:
iiipopes wrote:
You could not pay me to play a Silver Flair made after the Conn-Selmer cyborg took over. If I did not have my current pre-cyborg Super 20, a pre-cyborg Silver Flair would be next on my list.

For marching way back when I was in school in the late 70's, Mom understood the value of my Dad's Super 20 (which was later stolen), and purchased a used King Cleveland for me to march with in parade, when I wasn't playing a school souzy on the football field. The Cleveland was a surprisingly good horn. Many of my classmates played them in concert band. And it was cheap: $75 with case in 1978! When I graduated, of course I was able to sell it for what I paid for it. I only sold it because the undergrad I went to did not have a football team, and still does not, so no need for a "marching horn."

Comments like this just shows ignorance.

Really? Whose? My posts are based on over 45 years of experience and playing many horns: mine, friends, tryout in stores, and I am entitled to my opinions. I do not care for the post-cyborg horns, having played the Silver Flair and all the other models that have come out in the last twenty years.

You are entitled to your opinions; I am entitled to mine, and I stand by my posts.

You are indeed entitled to your opinions. I for one partly agree. I played a modern 2055T horn in a band alongside a 1055T and would say the newer horn was inferior. Less resonant, less efficient. Bright, but not quite as bright as the 1055T and with little or no sizzle. The 1055T really seemed to sizzle. That said I thought the 2055T was actually quite a decent horn, though not a patch on its illustrious predecessor.
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My folks bought me a new Silver Flair back in the late '60's. I was a new music major in college, and my old high school Holton 51LB was showing it's age, or at least I thought so.

That Flair carried me through college and MANY rock gigs, and when I landed a part-time job after graduation with an orchestra, I was kinda embarrassed playing with a King in the company of Schilkes and Bachs in an orchestral setting. So, I sold it (to MUCH regret later on) and bought a Getzen C, and later a Benge C. Was one of those things you do when you are young and immature...

That anecdote aside, the King 1055 was a GREAT horn! The guy that bought it was just tickled to death with it! Wish I still had it, but you know what they say...

BTW, I still have that Holton 51 LB, and it still plays well, although I wore a hole in the 2nd Valve slide and had to patch it! After all these years, the valves are still tight. Amazing!
trumpetom2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that!
The pre-UMI Silver Flairs are superior to the UMI version.
The King Silver Flair is my daily player and I use it in marching bands, jazz combo, BigBand and traditional music.
I think it's a very versitale horn.
It can be broad and melodic but also very bright and cutting.
I have no problems playing lead in BigBand or doing solo stuff in a combo.
Maybe the horn is a little on the bright side but it plays quite differently with different mouthpieces.
I think the original Silver Flair is a very good alround horn.
I wouldn't part with it
Martin Committe Deluxe #3 - 1957
Couesnon Monopole Conservatoire Star - 1960s
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To this day I have yet to play a faster valve block than my 65 Flair, even 50 yrs old they are still faster than the Bauerfind on my older Eclipse or the Getzens on my new Taylor. I'm thinking of having Leigh at Eclipse add a leadpipe system and bell to the Flair block and slides. It would be an amazing horn!
Rod
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: King Reply with quote

and then there was the "Golden Flair"
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: King Reply with quote

ALaschiver wrote:
and then there was the "Golden Flair"

A good horn I have only played briefly twice, and a totally different animal. I always looked at my silver flair as a lead style horn with a brilliant and cutting tone, sometimes a little too cutting with some very shallow MP’s. The Golden was more warm to me.
But that was just on a warm up blow and I never had time to get used to the horn. Some like it better, but value wise the HN White Cleveland stamped pieces seem to bring the bigger prices especially the pristine ones.
Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: