• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

BerpBioOil LIGHT?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: BerpBioOil LIGHT? Reply with quote

Time to buy some more BerpBioOil and found that they now offer a "light" version that has "33% lower viscosity than our regular oil and is more suitable for newer instruments with tighter valve clearances."

Anyone try the "light" version? If so, what are your impressions of it compared to their regular version?

Thanks!
Schilke 17& 17D4d4 trumpet mpcs
Schilke 17F flugelhorn mpc
davidkoch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really hoping something would come out like this! I love BioOil, but it's a little thick for my taste. I'm going to have to get a bottle of this.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, the older, thick stuff might be great for valves that are a little past played and should probably be re-built? (Or what's better for that use?)
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that the stock BioOil works fine on all of my horns. I particularly like the way it freshens up the smell of the horn.

You can also look at the different viscosity level Hetman offers.

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The std. Berp Bio Oil works fantastic on my '64 38B, as well as on my other horns. But, I'd like to see what a slightly lighter formula feels like on my Kanstul trp, and especially my Jupiter flugelhorn, whose valves feel a little slower with the std. formula compared to Zaja Scented, Zaja Blue, and Zaja Pro (for closer tolerances, and which seems to dry out sooner than the other Zaja 2 formulas).

I ordered an 8 oz. bottle of the lighter formula of Berp Bio Oil and will give it a shot on all 3 horns, and let you guys know what I find.
QuokkaTribe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered a few bottles , waiting for them to arrive, will let y'all know what i think.
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuokkaTribe, I'll beat you to the punch ... sorry.

As I posted earlier, I bought the 8 oz. bottle of Light Berp Bio Oil, and it is indeed lighter; reportedly 33% lighter, but perhaps even lighter? When I apply the std. Berp Bio Oil to my valves, it slowly runs down my pistons; it takes more time to spread around, so its thicker viscosity is apparent. When applying the Light oil to my valves, it starts running down the pistons immediately.

As for how my valves feel with the Light oil -- darn good; quicker, lighter action, but still nice and smooth. So, I was thinking, if you prefer the more "buttery" feel of the std. oil, then you should probably stick to it. If you have both versions of the oil, you shouldn't have a problem switching between them because they're similar formulas.

I called two things to the company's attention, however:

1) The nice citrus scent is less present in either the Light version, or perhaps newer batches of both versions. This is kind of a disappointment for me as this has been one of the things I really liked about this oil.

2) The Light oil in my 8 oz. bottle appears to be a darker color than the oil that came in my 2 oz. bottle of Light oil. The company said that they plan to check into this to see why this is.

So, here it is:

1) The Light version works great in my Jupiter flugel because its valves seem a little too slow with the std. viscosity Berp oil.

2) In my Kanstul trumpet, I like both versions of the oil and will switch between them.

3) In my Connstellation, I prefer the std. Berp Bio Oil, likely because of the horn's age, and the std. weight oil provides smooth, even quieter valve action than the Light version in this horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: