• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hey Tom Turner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Your comment about little mouthpieces got me to thinking.

For the notes to get higher, the lips must vibrate faster, and the way to get them to vibrate faster is to make the vibrating section smaller in width across the lips.

Pops has a triple C on a Curry 690M, which is Bach 1 size or bigger. So even though he has a large mouthpiece, only a small section of his lips vibrate. As such, he mustuse tissue and muscles to reduce the width of the vibrating surface.

Enter the smaller mouthpiece. Because it is smaller, it mechanically limits the width of the vibrating section of the lips, meaning not as much muscle and tissue are required to get higher notes.

So how do you figure out how small a mouthpiece you can use without losing the low end of the trumpet?

Blaine
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It's really late so I'll have to keep it brief for now but I'll try to e-mail you soon too!

I can still play the same things on my Warburton 2DD that I can on my Warburton 8M. Naturally, this wasn't always the case as I once played the huge mouthpieces and needed a huge deep one to accomodate the lips. Today I can get the same results on "tiny" mouthpieces due to my embouchere switch.

I switched to my new embouchere type, called "Superchops" a couple of years ago. This concept focuses on using center chop compression . . . i.e. the lower lip pushing ever harder directly up onto the upper lip as once ascends. There's a lot more to it than this, and I'll e-mail you on details soon. You may also wish to visit the private Superchops forum. Contact Lee Adams for clearance to enter.

I'm very pleased with my sound and my results! As for mouthpieces, you'll probably be able to transistion into at least as small as a .640 or .630 size. Lee plays a Warburton 6M which is probably about a .630. I usually play a .620 size on my trumpet, either a .620 or .650 size on cornet and a .660 size on my fluglehorn.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Thanks. Superchops is one of the methods Pops teaches. I have also nosed around on Callet's website.

Blaine
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: