• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Range and Age

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alcapwny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Range and Age Reply with quote

I'm a junior in high school and although I think my range is pretty good, I don't think it's adequate for my age. I have a useable range of up to a G, but sometimes when I get tired towards the end of gigs it drops to around a D. I just got back from the Swing Central high school jazz competition in Savannah, GA and I was shocked to hear that I was one of the better lead players range wise. Do you guys think that I'm where I need to be for a high school lead player, keeping in mind that I have high self-expectations?
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. A playable High G is excellent at most any age.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
alcapwny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I choose to attempt to play in college I should be set range wise?
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always want to be working to improve our range, along with endurance, tone, intonation, accuracy, flexibility, and most importantly, musicianship. You just are a step ahead of your peers in terms of range. However, there will be college freshmen with a strong range past High G. Those players are your competiton, so keep working on everything.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alcapwny wrote:

I assume you mean G above the staff, not G on top of the staff. If so, then you are set man.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the people I run into who talk about being able to play up to F and G can only do so some of the time and not reliably or musically. The majority of people I play with are actually only reliable up to the 1st C, maybe D above the staff and even that gets dicey at the end of a hard blow. If you've got a solid D that you can play reliably and musically you're doing alright. And by musically I mean in tune with a variety of articulations and at a variety of dynamics. If you're good for the ocassional E, F or G that'll come in handy.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a solid high G is probably as much range as you need. You can make alot of money playing well up to high G. For every studio gig Wayne Bergeron gets there is another guy there getting paid to play the 2nd book.

High G is where the music gods begin to separate the men from the boys.
A bazillion guys can melt paint with a High G.
A much smaller percentage can actually PLAY musically with that range.

Then the High A REALLY weeds out a big chunk of the wannabees. Lots of guys have great G's but sound like a broken power steering pump on a high A. Many posers can play strong A's but the BIG BOYS can play fluidly up and down a passage that crosses the F-G-A threshold. (like the lick in O Holy Night)

Then the Bb weeds out most of the rest of the riff raff.

Some of the guys get back in the game with the DHC, but they can't really play it on command... it's a parlor trick.

Play Clarke #2 exercises. Play them slowly, focusing on control, intonation and evenness of the transition between notes. Make them sound musical. These go up AND down the range.
Start on Bb (goes up to high F), finish with the Bb-D-F-highBb arpeggio
Then B to F#, finish with B-D#-F#-HighB
Then High C to G, same finish: C-E-G-DHC
How do you sound? Is any of it musical?

Do the Colin Lip Flexibilities exercises (that go up to High A).
I'll bet that most guys that think they can play a High G can't do the Colin Exercise for High G (there are 3: a, b, & c) as they are written so that the intervals are clean, even, fluid and musical up AND back down.

When you are one of those guys then you "got game"
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Yes...what he said! ^^
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Range and Age Reply with quote

alcapwny wrote:
I'm a junior in high school and although I think my range is pretty good, I don't think it's adequate for my age. I have a useable range of up to a G, but sometimes when I get tired towards the end of gigs it drops to around a D. I just got back from the Swing Central high school jazz competition in Savannah, GA and I was shocked to hear that I was one of the better lead players range wise. Do you guys think that I'm where I need to be for a high school lead player, keeping in mind that I have high self-expectations?

When you say 'gig', how long is it? A typical high school program is usually no more than 30 minutes. If your range drops a fourth in that time, you need to work on your endurance. You should also work on being able to play musically in all registers. Are you taking lessons?
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alcapwny wrote:
I had a good double C in HS, college and my rock band age- what would you do if I showed up at your college at the same time?

Hate to tell you, but if you think "you're set" for anything in the musical field, especially if you aspire to make good money playing, you'll always find yourself being passed up. This would be true for range, technique, dynamics, sound, everything involved in playing. 40 some years out of HS and with a nice gig, I still don't consider myself "set". Good luck. Keep striving to improve or someone will come along and...
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jiarby wrote:
Having a solid high G is probably as much range as you need.

True. If you can belt out a high G at the end of a 3 or 4 page bad-ass chart you're way ahead of most of us. In fact, a high G is about all you need for 98% of the charts I've seen. Another little fact-toid. Most high school trumpet players can't play much about top-space G, much less an octave about that. You're really way ahead of the pack on range. I would suggest you work on other stuff and stop worry about range.

Larry
alcapwny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. I do take lessons and endurance and range are both things I'm still working on. When I say "set" I don't mean that I'm going to stop improving. That was a misunderstanding.
BarryS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to one of the top universities in your state, your gonna hear cream of the crop players. Some will be improv nutz some will be wailin double c. You just need to find your own mojo. If you are the stand out guy now in high school and everyone wishes they played like you..and you have a fist full of state medals from your classical recitals. You'll do fine. After university is a whole different animal..
Schilke B5
Blessing super artist
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryS wrote:
If you are the stand out guy now in high school and everyone wishes they played like you..and you have a fist full of state medals from your classical recitals. You'll do fine. After university is a whole different animal..

Don't judge yourself against other high school players. The only real standard is to judge yourself against professionals, and then you'll understand how far you have to go.

Students make the mistake of thinking that if they are first chair or if they got an 'A' on their report card, then they must be pretty good. None of those things matter in the real world. Once you're out of college, you'll be competing for work with the 40- and 50-year-olds who have been playing in the real world since you were in diapers. They're the only standard you should be concerned with.

Last edited by PhxHorn on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Once you're out of college, you'll be competing for work with the 40- and 50-year-olds who have been playing in the real world since you were in diapers.

This is 100% true... When I was in college one of my teachers (also a working pro) shocked me a bit when he said this gem:

"Hey... once you walk out that door you are competing with ME for jobs in the real world."

Eeek! I knew I was a long way from beating him for a job!

If you aren't making your teacher nervous for his job then you have a long way to go. Get practicing!
alcapwny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting to think about. I don't think I'll decide to make music my career, but in that off chance it's nice to know these things.
BarryS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phxhorn, Nice. If I would have read your post while in high school I would have quit! Thats like saying a high school quaterback should "judge himself" against an NFL quarterback. Yes you should listen transcribe and aspire to the professional level. 1st chair does mean something. Lead in the top jazz group at your university means something. And it does translate to the "real world." Getting to the professional level is a process and you do have to be the best at each level. No disrespect but I would take the top 24 year old university performance major graduate all day long over the so called 40-50 year old pros, that probably did not major in music and in my experience;
90% of them are hacks and neverbeens. A guy named Maynard filled his bands with those university..."does not translate to the real world players" and if memory serves me..did pretty good. If you did'nt major in Jazz Studies or music performance.... You should'nt even have responded to this kids post..I really think with the sad state that this countrys music education programs are in we should be encouraging any and all interested. I fear it won't be to long and there won't be anyone to pass the tourch..no one to continue the song..no one to speak the language...Jazz will become like an ancient cave wall painting that nobody can figure out.....So lets encourage not discourage the next generation and be the best you can be at every level!

PS. I knew reading Cap't Kirk's posts would rub off eventually...sorry start the flames..
Schilke B5
Blessing super artist
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryS wrote:
Lead in the top jazz group at your university means something. And it does translate to the "real world." No disrespect but I would take the top 24 year old university performance major graduate all day long over the so called 40-50 year old pros, that probably did not major in music and in my experience;
90% of them are hacks and neverbeens. A guy named Maynard filled his bands with those university..."does not translate to the real world players" and if memory serves me..did pretty good..

I was talking about high school, not college. My point is that you can get straight A's in math and you have to be pretty good at it. The same is not true for music. In high school you typically get an A for showing up. Same is true for ensemble classes in college. But being lead in your typical college jazz band still doesn't translate into the real world, because there are very few real-world gigs like that. How many real-world big bands rehearse the material for weeks before playing it? Most college players don't sight-read well, they don't know many tunes, and they don't know how to conduct themselves on a gig.

MF's band was obviously a real-world situation. But his guys are a far cry from your average first chair high school player, wouldn't you say?
BarryS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I'm done. Yes MF's players probably were 1st chair in high school and then at university. It all goes together. And if you think university graduates dont sight read or know many songs.....again wow!! Some of us chose to make music our life and some of us have chosen other careers and majors....again unless you were a music major at YOUR university and have dedicated YOUR life to this pursuit...I relinquish myself from this discussion...
Schilke B5
Blessing super artist
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The moral of the story is: don't be complacent because you're first chair in a school band. The bar keeps getting raised. You might be first chair in high school, but when you go to a festival or music camp, you'll hear players from other schools who might be way ahead of you. It can be a real eye-opener. It happens again in college, etc. So I think it's a mistake when the original poster says anything to the effect of "I'm set."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: