• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

'Bach' Leadpipe question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
riffdawg2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gang -

Got a quick question. I bought a '7' 'BACH' leadpipe off of eBay. When it came in, it does have the '7' stamped in the mouthpiece receiver, and also a star on the next flat space.

Also, when AverageJoe and I tryed to put tuning slides into the leadpipe - they were too big! None of the Bach tuning slides (ML and L) would fit into it!!

Soo ..... the questions go ...
1) What does the star mean on the leadpipe
2) Should a ML and L tuning slides fit into a Bach leadpipe? Could the leadpipe be for a small or M bore older strad???

Thanks in advance.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that the leadpipe is probably intended for the M bore line of Bach horns, not the ML or the L.

(this is an added edit) Hmmmm. I went to the Bach Trumpet Loyalist website and I can't find a reference to a 7* leadpipe, jus the 7.

Quote from the site - - "7 Dark, similar to the 43, but not nearly as bright. "

There is also a reference to a 7C, which is much the same, only for a C trumpet.

My guess is that this 7* lead pipe is something that came out of the custom shop and was made specifically for someone with a special requirement. It may not have even been made for a Bach trumpet. That's all I could find.

email me at: trickg1@hotmail.com

[ This Message was edited by: trickg on 2003-08-14 08:14 ]
HorneyMikey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like this is off an LT horn, since you said it had a * marking on it. LT horns have thinner tubing, and the tuning slide tube off a regular ML Bb is thicker. If you want to keep using your normal tuning slide, you may have to find a lightweight (thinner) top tube for the tuning slide. that should fit the 7 * leadpipe.

Mike
cwerickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An easier fix might be to get a piece of regular weight tubing and replace the tuning slide receiver on your new pipe. That way, if you decide you don't like this pipe, you haven't messed up your tuning slide. A decent repair shop should be able to do that for you.

The bore size of the slide shouldn't make any difference for fit purposes-- it's the OD, or outside diameter you need to deal with, not the ID, or inside diameter. You should, however, match the bore size to your trumpet. Mixing them makes for some squirrely playing tendencies.

Good luck!
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Leadpipes for the standard weight and lightweight Bach trumpets are DIFFERENT.

It sounds like you bought a #7 leadpipe that the factory made to fit their lightweight horns that come with the star on the bell.

That leadpipe will fit the lightweight horns but not a standard weight one. I suspect that this was a special order "pipe" that Bach stamped a star on the receiver to separate it from other #7 pipes.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
riffdawg2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UH ... TOM! Why didn't you tell me at the festival??

Anyone want a lightweight 7* Bach Leadpipe ...???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: