• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sightsinging, ear training and solfege

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend good methods for sightsinging, ear training and solfege? Are there any good self-study methods available?
Chicagoman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-11 13:49, dales wrote:
Can anyone recommend good methods for sightsinging, ear training and solfege? Are there any good self-study methods available?

Well, you can take your Clarks Technical Studies and sing the exercises in there. It will get you used to hearing intervals and in different modes.

What I do is literally learn how to sing all of my music. I will sit at a piano and plunk out some of the notes I can't already hear, then will sing the phrase back without the piano. I strive for great intonation and phrasing. I use words for added expressiveness. I finger along on my horn, then buzz on the mouthpiece, and then play on the horn. I strive to get it right the first time, rather than hash away hundreds of times on the horn like most people.

Learning how to sight sing will prove invaluable on your ability to sight read. There are so many who just plunk down a key and blow, and expect to "hit" a note. Transposition will also become a snap with good ear training.

Go buy a college aural skills book and read it, and sing it. Sing anything you can, in any key, for whatever instrument. Including Bass Clef.

Finally, the best method on this type of study is to teach yourself. You must find the best method that works for you.

Bud Herseth is one of the best at doing "hear-play". He simply hears the sound, and produces it. That is why his styling is set apart from anyone else. Learn how express your music beyond the notes on the page.

Hope this helps,

Chicagoman
screamertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dales,
Dan is right. You can use basically anything to practice your sight-singing-transposing. I usually just use Guiseppi Concone's Complete Solfeggi because it's got some nice melodies in it. Perhaps you could use Getchel's books or the Vizzutti books as well.
Trevor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the book close, but I picked up a small volume on "sight singing". There were a number to choose from at my local music store; I just got the one my teacher used in college. It's a good supplement to the advice above, I think, and singing as well as playng really helps get not only the pitch but the sound you want in your mind.

FWIW - Don
fzr Phil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is 'Solfege' ?
Yamaha Maestro Cornet RW3
Yamaha pro 631 Flugel dw3fL
Yamaha YCR6610T Soprano
Elkhart pocket trumpet
www.thundersleybrassband.co.uk
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Ray Mi Fa Sol La Ti Do and the such.
You know, Like "Do, a deer, a female deer"
It actually helped my playing alot.

ChopsMcgraw
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. When I asked this question I was distressed about not being able to hear as well as I need to. I never addressed this part of my musical education before I quit playing to become a listener and collector for 20 years. After six months back, I'm now convinced that I have the physical makeup to play anything I want, and it's probably my ears that hold me back more than anything.

My trumpet teacher suggested taking a class. So I looked at the web page for the closest music school of repute (Longy, in Cambridge, MA). Its web site features its faculty and prattles on about its community music outreach and teacher/student relationships without ever giving a course catalog, or even any sense that it offers classes. Oh well. I'll ask friends who've studied there.

However, I've just picked up a book by Ron Gorow called _Hearing and Writing Music, Professional Training for Today's Musician_. It's a self-study course that leads you progressively through learning to hear intervals, then phrases, then transcribing. I noticed after I bought it that one of the endorsement blurbs is by Bobby Shew. I think if I can learn to hear well enough to transcribe, I'll also be able to conceive and hear phrases in my mind better, and my trumpet playing will improve.
bj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
Tonic, sol-fa was commonly taught in the Welsh Chapels although I wasn't religious myself I learnt the system at secondary school (equivalent to US High School).
Also at music college I studied the Kodaly Method with Celia Vajda, a lady from Hungary who was a pupil of Kodaly.
all the best
Brian Jones
elbobogrande
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend referred me to http://www.eartraining.com
He swears by it.
John
cybertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your self a huge favour and visit http://www.dickgrove.com
this is the best self study course on the planet for ear training. Get the "hear it, see it, play it" course. It is the best and it opened up my ears......worth looking at!!!
Garroid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out in high school that I had perfect pitch, and this is what I recommend, who knows - it's free.
Close your eyes and hit a random key on the piano, and imagine what it would sound like coming out of YOUR trumpet, with YOUR unique sound. Then try to imagine what fingering generally coincides with that pitch or tamber, then take a stab at the note, open your eyes and see how close you were. On the flip side, when you practice be very critical of the tamber differences between fingerings, regardless of the note. Also work on memorizing music by getting the melody stuck in your head, and then playing that melody by ear. Marches work great for this. Pretty soon you can hear a march, and play it from 'memory' in most of the 12 keys, if not all.
CBTrpt

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go get Manuel Pratique by Georges Dandelot. You can get it through Paetleson's in NY. If you can sing and say all of these excercises at quarter=100 you'll have helped yourself greatly. After that sing all your excercises, etudes, solos and excerpts. Have fun and never stop singing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: