• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hummel ... E Flat or E?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Schilke G1L4 is a 4 valve instrument.
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by big brian on Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
softcase
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-08-15 14:42, big brian wrote:
Hey.

Another popular choice is to play it in E on the C trumpet, which i think is the best solution.

Hardenberger always plays it on the C and I think the bigger sound is better...just better practice your lip trills!

Brian

I agree with this. Hakan sounds great, and it lays well as well as sounds good on a c trumpet!
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both recordings e and e flat
smithwatkinsguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my understanding and the many people I have talked to (and a few professors) say that this concerto was originally in E. I don't know why...I can't really explain it but this is what I know to be true. I've always played it in Eb on a Bb trumpet. One of these days I'll order a Smith and Watkins Eb trumpet ...but until I get my chops a little stronger, I'll stick to Bb and C. And Yamaha makes an Eb/E trumpet for those who don't know!
Rhode Island All-State Orchestra
The Hartt School of Music
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armando Ghitalla preferred performing the concerto in E on a C trumpet.
Also, the Schilke G1L-4 is a G/F trumpet, not an E trumpet. I believe you can
special order an E3L-4 with an E bell but I'm not certain of that.

Paul

"NEVER look at the trombones...it only encourages them" (R. Strauss)

"What the hell does sound have to do with music?" (Charles Ives)
_Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fingering and harmonic placement is easier if you use the E/Eb. That's what I would do.

I was once told that NO-ONE ever plays the Haydn on a Bb. The sound is not Classical enough.

Any thoughts?

-The Simpsons
johntpt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke's G1L and G1L4 are G/F trumpets for which Schilke will also make a bell in E natural. I have a G1L4 in all 3 keys.

They don't make an E bell for their Eb trumpets.
johntpt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith plays the Haydn on Bb and sounds pretty darn good.

Most trumpet auditions in Germany require the Haydn on a Bb rotary trumpet. Sometimes this is requested in the USA as well - isn't that what the Met asked for this year?
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The notes on Rheinhold Friedrich's recording (on the Capriccio label) say that he performs Hummel in E on a Trumpet in B-natural! Sounds like it was a custom job, shortening each slide proportionally from a Bb. Weird, huh? This would certainly take care of the low note issue if one didn't have pedals that sound as good as Marsalis!

PS. the notes are by Edward Tarr, so I assume he wasn't joking.
JPrindle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played both with my community orchestra, Hummel in 97 and Haydn in 99.

Played the Hummel on C (ala Ghitalla) and that worked pretty well. The key of E is actually one of the easier keys to play (you just sort of dance around your second valve and there are some nifty tricks for some of the technical parts).

Played the Haydn on Bb, which IMHO is more appropriate for a piece originally written for an instrument actually the length of an alto trumpet. Love the sound of the recording from the concert, particularly the richness of the sound in the 2nd movement. No problem playing lightly enough, even on a NY Bach large bore, with a Monette B12 mp. Saw Herseth play it on Bb with a local group in the late 80's (he also played Trumpeter's Lullaby as an encore).

I purchased and own the orchestra sets for both--Tarr's Universal Edition for the Hummel and Kalmus for the Haydn. I agree that E is an easier key for the orch, and the Hummel (again IMHO) is harder for strings than the Haydn. The Tarr edition of Hummel has a lot of scholarly info with it. You can get the same info with the piano and trumpet UE version from RL King.

My understanding as to why they are in different keys is that Weidinger continued to experiment with having more effective models built and making alterations in them himself. The Hummel was written when they were considering hiring to replace Haydn at Esterhazy (sp?). He was hired for the job soon after, but didn't last long because he missed being near the center of action in Vienna.

Fortunately for us, Weidinger refused to share the technology of the keyed bugles with others. Otherwise, we all might be playing keyed trumpets instead of valved ones!
maccluer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider is that pitch standards have risen considerably over the last 200 years or so. If you play it in Eb now, it will probably sound about the same as E did when it was first performed.
LaserBoy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, very interesting. I have never laid eyes on an E part, only Eb (and concert
Eb transcribed for Bb trumpet). Now this gives me some insight about the choice
of key in the middle movement -- 7 flats in the piano reduction. I used to think that
was an unusual key for a composer of that time period. Just taking it down a
half step....

Speaking of E trumpet-- back in my college days I showed up for orchestra rehearsal and was handed an E trumpet part (Brahms symphony). I had only a Bb in
those days, and that transposition was not one I had practiced.

... I still get nightmares about that.

LaserBoy
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I went to a symphony gig one time and was handed Dvorak's (sp?) New World Symphony written for E trumpet. It wasn't pleasant reading everything up an augmented 4th!!!!!!!
rudas1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets not forget that Ghitalla's premiere recording of the Hummel Concerto (yes, in E for sure) was on the C trumpet, as well. There was some confusion about that. He plays spectacular lip trills, esp. in the 2nd movement. Its Ghitalla at his very best.

Regards-rudas
JPrindle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of being repetitive, E is one of the easier keys on a C trumpet. If you play the 4th space E "1+2" (as is common on C trumpet to keep that note from being too flat), every note involves use of the 2nd valve,

There's one spot in the 1st movement where you can really get the speed up on a mordent passage by using the index finger of your left hand to hold down the middle valve while you do the fast stuff with your right hand. It's tricky at first, but a neat effect (which my college trumpet teacher told me Ghitalla used in that recording). Also in a series of trills in the last movement.

Key of E also makes some lip trills possible in the Hummel when you play it on C (again, like Ghitalla).

BTW, there are a lot of orch. pieces for trumpet in E, the most common one being the overture to William Tell. Much harder to play in the key of F# on a Bb than in the key of E on a C (hope you can follow this alphabet soup). Anyone serious about orch. playing must own a C, and be proficient at transposing, which is easier (at least, for most people I know) on a C trumpet.
_Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Another thing to consider is that pitch standards have risen considerably over the last 200 years or so. If you play it in Eb now, it will probably sound about the same as E did when it was first performed."

Actually, concert pitch has not exactly risen, rather it has been unified. pitches in the Baroque period ranged from A=420 Hz to A=480 Hz. So it would be more accurate to say that pithces have fallen slightly. Even so, a 20 Hz change in the frequency of a note would not ammount to a semi-tone transposition.

-The Simpsons
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone's probably already mentioned this, but...

The Hummel was written originally in E for orchestra, then someone transposed it to Eb for band. Armando Ghitalla has a famous recording of the piece in E. I've only heard Wynton play the band version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: