• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Braces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetlover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Doc Reinhardt have any kind of thought/opinions on braces and playing trumpet with them? Do any of you all? The reason I ask is because getting braces has been something that I have been thinking about for a while however, it would be purely for cosmetic reasons. And one of my generous relatives has offered to pay for them if I want them. By the way I recently (about 6 months ago) went through an embochure change.
Any thoughts???
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to make your own decision regarding whether or not you want braces, but here are some of the problems you will run into if you do decide to get braces:

1. While you're wearing them your embouchure will need an adjustment period to get used to them. You may find they irritate the inside of your lips when you're playing.

2. Your teeth will be constantly shifting while wearing them, and so you will need to make continual adjustments while you are wearing them. In other words, while you have them on you're embouchure will be in a subtle state of flux the whole time.

3. When you get the braces off you need another adjustment period to get used to them no longer affecting your embouchure. I haven't actually seen it, but heard stories that some players may actually switch embouchure types as a result.

Everyone reacts differently to the above. Some people take to it very easily and some people struggle all the way through it. I would at least discuss your concerns with an orthodontist before you make the decision, but keep in mind that part of his purpose is to get you to undergo an expensive procedure, not turn you into a great brass player.

Anyone have anything to add? Am I being too harsh on braces, or not harsh enough?

Dave W.
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Braces
For some information, there is someone in CA who makes braces BEHIND the teeth. Go to http://www.crozatdoc.com/faq.html and see what this is all about. Bobby Shew sent this to me a while back.
Dave S. p.s. I have an email that gives a player's testimonial that the device does not interfere with the playing...I cannot attest to this, but perhaps some tongue types may have difficulty.

[ This Message was edited by: airdyn on 2003-08-17 17:24 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: