• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hard or Soft Case/Gig Bag?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laurent wrote:
... but not to sit on the case!

Agreed.

I love my Protec case. But you need a Torpedo case to pass the "sit" test.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on whether you're a kid in a school band program where others will have some access to your ax or if you're an adult and paying your own bills. Soft cases are not a good choice in schools unless one is extremely responsible and has some sort of locker to keep the instrument in, which is kept locked.

I've been using 2 Gard leather single cases- http://www.wwbw.com/Gard-Deluxe-Leather-Single-Trumpet-Gig-Bag-467131-i1441071.wwbw for 10 years or so with 2 tunable bell trumpets, one C, one Bb. The price is ridiculous for what you get and the buffalo hide lasts forever and keeps its good looks. There is ample foam protection and a hard disc that protects the bell bead as well. The side pouch will hold the normal accessories to keep you going plus an entire Silent Brass SB9 with still some room. Only problem is that the velcro keeper that holds both handles together for carrying is finally wearing out on the oldest case. I'd recommend this to anyone who is capable of using a gig bag.
meddle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up buying a Protec case. Eventually I'll be getting a case for my flugel and maybe one that will hold both, so even the info on the other brands will help me with the decision on those.
Thanks again!
Bach Omega
King Student Model Beater
DaveArt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 Gator hard-shell cases and I love them. I've never trusted soft cases as they won't protect your horn from getting dented in a fall. You can buy the Gator for $59.99 online and it comes with a carrying strap
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HARD CASE
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
QuokkaTribe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a double made by glenn cronkhite, it is beautiful and protective.

Though I never put my horn in any situation that has even the mildest semblance of precariousness going on...

It always stays on my back.

Glenn is also a very special man, and that's where I like to take my business.
finntpt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With apologies to the Graduate..."just one word..."Torpedo."
rmch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Pro Tec Contoured case when I need just my trumpet:
http://www.protecmusic.com/items.aspx?ProductID=238&InstrumentID=38&InstrumentGroupID=1&CategoryID=2&subCategoryID=7

It's great. The wood frame makes all the difference. I know that it can fall down a flight of stairs, and my horn will be fine. I've taken it on planes on multiple occasions, put in the overhead compartment, and known that if it fell out, everything would be okay. I know I probably shouldn't, but I do sit on it occasionally....
On a different note, a year ago, I stored a chocolate bar in the case for a few days (I was traveling and had nowhere else to put it), and the case still has a lovely, subtle scent of chocolate...

I've also tried Eastman cases and the Fusion F1 bag. The Eastman I would feel comfortable dropping from the stage into the pit orchestra; I would not feel comfortable doing the same thing with the Fusion.

When I need multiple horns (trumpet and flugel) or lots of space for mutes and massive books (like Arban), I use the Reunion Blues Continental Triple Case (it's really a strong bag):

http://reunionblues.com/product/187/rb-continental-triple-trumpet-case

It's okay. It holds a lot: 2 trumpets + flugel + 4 mutes wrapped in towels resting on top of the trumpet bells + mouthpiece pouch. However, it's not the most protective case. It's got a lot of padding on the sides, but not so much on the bottom. The reason I eventually decided on buying it was the price and the fact that I saw a few videos like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAm8Te0FXzA

My logic told me that since they use the same padding in the guitar cases as the trumpet cases, it should work out, right? So I bought it and I treated it like my other cases: fine, but not delicately. I'd plonk it around every now and then (not from high heights, or anything), and what do you know? One day I plonked it and it warped the bell wrap of my flugel. Luckily, the flugel is a Chinese piece of junk and the necessary repairs have been made (it still plays fine, but it's not pretty). I have yet to travel with it, but I'm a little nervous, because it's a tiny bit over the size maximum, and there's no way it will ever survive under a plane, so if the stewardess is a real stickler, things could be problematic. Let's not even worry about it being checked on the wrong flight or left at the airport....

Moral of the story: it's a good bag, but it's still a bag. A Torpedo Coyote Triple case costs less than replacing all of my horns.
1981 LA Benge ML #3 bell
1938 Couesnon Flugel
1907 HN White Co. "King" Cornet
1977 Selmer Picc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: