• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Just got my Pro Tec PB301F trumpet/flugel case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BedfordTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Just got my Pro Tec PB301F trumpet/flugel case Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

At long last my trumpet/flugel combo case arrived. I ordered it from WWBW last month, when it was unfortunately out of stock. The sale price at the time was fantastic though, so I didn't mind waiting.

The case is made of the same ballistic nylon stuff as most Pro Tec models. It's a nice compromise between protection and weight. It's lighter than my old wooden Jupiter flugel case, though once you add the Bb trumpet, it might be a tie.

There is some rigidity to the case. I'm perfectly comfortable tossing it (well, placing it) in the back seat or trunk of my car. Short of serious, catastrophic trauma to the case, my horns should be fine. I would probably not attempt flying with this case though, as it's too big to carry on, and not beefy enough to entrust to baggage handlers.

The case snugly holds my Jupiter 846RL flugel and Bach Strad Bb. There are four mouthpiece slots, which I appreciate since I have back-up/alternate mouthpieces for both horns. There is probably room to slip a couple mutes (wrapped in towels) in with the flugel, but I haven't tried it.

The exterior pocket is large enough for a fairly hefty binder or stack of music. This is the first case I've owned where I could really imagine much fitting in the side pocket, beyond the usual valve oil and pencils.

All in all, a good solid case. And at the deeply-discounted WWBW price, a bargain as well.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a ProTec Trpt/ Flugelhorn case for quite sometime. I on ocassion use my Reunion Blues soft case, but you can't beat the peace of mind with the ProTec!

Pete
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sweet wife bought me one for Valentines Day. It works well for my Kanstul 1525 and any trumpet, or I can carry a cornet instead of my flug. The side pocket is totally usable. At half the price of a RB which was too tight for my flug, it's a great bargain.

veery
Chris J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Protec information for this case (PB301F) states that it will hold a trumpet, of length up to 9 1/4 inches.

My trumpet is 9 1/2 inches

Is there an extra 1/4 inch wriggle room for a trumpet in the case such that it is still as safe from external knocks when inside?

Chris
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris J wrote:
The Protec information for this case (PB301F) states that it will hold a trumpet, of length up to 9 1/4 inches.

My trumpet is 9 1/2 inches

?? Those dimensions don't make any sense to me. What trumpet measurement are you describing?

My Pro-Tech case holds a Wild Thing trumpet and a Kanstul 1525 flugel just fine.

Tommy T.
Chris J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - the measurement of 9.5 inches is the maximum length of the instrument from the bell to leadpipe.

See the description of the interior dimensions in this advert - http://www.themusicshop.com/p-2737-pro-tec-trumpet-flugel-combo.aspx

The pictures show the trumpet looking very snug in the front of the case, and if the length limit is 9 1/4 inches, my trumpet might not fit in at all, or be so tight as to potential damage something at the first knock

Chris
Chris J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, sorry, sorry

It is midnight here, and I shouldn't be doing this right now, obviously.

My trumpet is 19 1/2 inches long

The advert says it accommodates a 19 1/4 inch trumpet

Chris
(Heavily edited because of too many late night typos)
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the model number of my case, but 19 1/4 is the length measurement of the trumpet slot without any compression at all. Pressing the bell firmly, but certainly not forcefully, against the bell end of the trumpet space, I measure 19 5/8 to the mouthpiece end just touching the fabric on that end with no compression. With firm compression on both ends, 20 inches can be achieved with no threat of damage to the horn just from being inserted.

It is a fair question as to whether compressing, especially compressing on both ends, reduces impact protection. Although compressed, there is still a lot of "stuff" between the metal and the outside world.

Tommy T.
christiwans
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the ProTec "Mike Vax" model trumpet/flugel case?

...Because if so, that will DEFINITELY work as a carry-on. I had a group of friends that needed to travel to NTC a few years ago with trumpet and flugel, and they bought matching cases so nobody would have to check any luggage.
MM/DMA University of Oklahoma
BM Central Washington University
Chris J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last few posts have been about the ProTec PB 301F, same as the thread title.

Tommy t. - I don't think the PB301F has changed for a long time, so if that is your model, and looks like the one in the ad, I would assume the internal dimensions are the same

Thanks for your help

Chris
christiwans
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris J wrote:
The last few posts have been about the ProTec PB 301F, same as the thread title.

My mistake - the only difference in the model numbers is the "F" on the end... I've seen both of them listed as 301 without an end number listed. That being said, the PB301VAX would be great if you are worried about air travel.
MM/DMA University of Oklahoma
BM Central Washington University
Ed Hernandez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Mike Vax Pro-tec model with wheels, and did work as a carry-on. I really like it, maybe with the exception that the flugel travels upside down.
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris J wrote:
Tommy t. - I don't think the PB301F has changed for a long time, so if that is your model, and looks like the one in the ad, I would assume the internal dimensions are the same

The looks is the same and the fact that I measured 19 1/4" as the untouched free space is quite convincing. The question is whether the current stuffing is as compliant as mine.

Tommy T.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: