• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Practice Methods for greater range and endurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetpunk07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all
My name is Ryan. i am a high school freshman. My "section leader" is a senoir this year and of course, will not be around next year. My band instructor has informed me that I will most likely be "section leader next year because we wont have any seniors or juniors. There are big shoes to fit into next year and i dont think that im quite on par with my current section leaders. I will need to be able to project better, increase my reange slightly, and most of all increase my endurance in the higher range. Do you guys have any [proven/effective] methods of practicing to attain these goals? any advice is welcome!

Thanx, Ryan.
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in your same situation my freshman year.. The Claude Gordon Systematic Approach to Daily practice routine really helped me with endurance.

If i could go back and do it all over again I would look for a private instructor that could help you. I am working with a book called "First Trumpeter" by Jimmy Maxwell.. I think it's a good book that might be of some help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in your same situation my freshman year.. The Claude Gordon Systematic Approach to Daily practice routine really helped me with endurance.

If i could go back and do it all over again I would look for a private instructor that could help you. I am working with a book called "First Trumpeter" by Jimmy Maxwell.. I think it's a good book that might be of some help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key is to practice using what range you already have on a daily basis. Play scales and arpeggios as high as you are comfortable with, and you will start to expand your range day by day. Work on your musicality also. Don't just aim for squealing notes! Work out of the Iron's book also (Iron's Group of 27 exercises).
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schlossberg.
Clarke.
Arban.
Irons.

Good private teacher...
bachstrad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does Schlossberg differ from Irons?
SchilkeB5user

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure when you are getting your range higher your hiorn does not sneak down on you, it causes you to bottom out when you probally can already hit the note. Try to keep the same emboucher when going "high" because its just about all the same set, just minor lip movements and alotta diaphram.

Good range drills:

Say Oui (OOO-EEE) in sixteenth notes at a decent tempo and do it as long as you can at a tempo you can handle. The sides of your mouth should be burning like fire after while and it should be hard to say Oui.

Say Wow (WoW though one), also in sixteenth notes for as long as you can, this builds the muscle around your nose, the left and right side.

Do a Kiss (no need for help here), same rules apply as before. All around your mouth should burn ALOT.

I found that pencil drills doesn't work for me as well, it offsets my embouchuer but some things work better for others. Now, take a pencil and hold it with your lips as long as you can. NO TEETH . It should feel like the fires of .

Hope this helps somehow, also do these not too late at night but after you play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: