• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Gap between mp and leadpipe??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should there be no gap or a tiny gap (how much) between the end of the mp and the beginning of the leadpipe.

My Schilke 14B seems to be meeting flush with the leadpipe.

Opinions??
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on who you talk to - check the Schilke site and you will see that Mr. Schilke felt there should be no gap. Check the Reeves site or Warburton and you will get a different opinion. They will also give a simple way to determine with a slip of paper if you would benefit from more gap and how to measure it. The GR site gives a formula to calculate an appropriate gap. My experience is that a little more gap improves slotting but makes the horn feel a little tighter - a little less gap makes the sound a little "broader" and the horn feel more open. There are trade-offs in the lower register too. Different mouthpieces seem to have their own gap "sweet spot".If you find you want more gap you will either need to have a mouthpiece with a special shank made (or switch to Warburton' special larger shank backbores, or Reeves sleeves)or replace or move the receiver on your trumpet. Some players have a "Dial-a-Gap" receiver installed on their trumpet. I bet I could waste entire days fooling with one of those.
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing at The Gap is kinda like how much milk should an adult consume? The experts can't seem to agree.
I have one fine mpc that barely grips in a particular horn. The slotting is fantastic, but there's that gravity issue.

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I have one fine mpc that barely grips in a particular horn. The slotting is fantastic, but there's that gravity issue.

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com

Cozy... what do you mean by "gravity issue"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: