• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How much more?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IbEtTeRdEnjOO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have chose my career in music performance (that is after i get into a good college and graduate highschool first) i was wondering whats a good amount to know before going in. what level of playing should i have as far as range and technical stuff for college auditions. im sure i have a lot to go before ill be ready but im prepared for the long haul. thanks.

~Jared~
Gorkk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! I will be leaving for my first year of college in three days, so I have had some recent experience with what you are asking about. Although I am not a performance major, I was really considering it for a while (I love to play my trumpet so much!). My big advice to you would be to master your technique before getting to a college audition. Range is one thing, but most people are surprised to hear of high school students who can play any higher than high C, and some college professors discourage it. Listen, I am one who spent all of my free time in high school trying to play higher and faster and longer, etc. etc., and even though I had chops to play lead and solo parts, I was nailed when it came to college auditions. I didn't even get into the school of music at my college, that's how bad my audition was! Over this summer, I have concentrated very hard on technique, and in the past two months my overall playing (not to mention range and endurance) has improved at least 10 times as it has over the past three years. Practice your technique and master it and you will be a *much* happier trumpet player. As your technique improves, you'll find that your range, endurance, etc. are increasing as well. Trust me, at auditions it is much more important to play well than to play high.

Let me know how the technique comes along!

~Nick

P.S. I highly reccommend Clarke's Technical Studies, or at least practice softly most of the time-- it will help you control a smaller apperture which will relate to the upper register. Also, if you have Clarke's mastered by the time a college audition rolls around, you *will* be several steps ahead of everyone else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: