• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Transcribing Solos for Dummies?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bachstrad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never attempted to transcribe a solo before and was wondering where a good place to get started was. I've heard of people using software to slow down songs, but do you just use your hearing for notes or do you stick a tuner in front of the speakers? Maybe just sound it out on your trumpet to match pitch? Any advice and help and be appreciated.
PJN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachstrad,

The main thing is, do not procrastinate! I thought of a bunch of reasons to avoid transcribing. There will always be something.... but I know now that it must be done.

I just finished my first official all the way through transcription. Chet Bakers "Isn't it Romantic" from Chet Baker Boston 1954. This was fun, and I love Chets playing anyway. He swings and plays right from the heart.

I just put the music on and played it over and over and copied the solo using my ear and my horn. I used the Amazing slowdowner from http://www.ronimusic.com to make loops, and only slowed down a couple of really ornamental licks . The rest I was able to do by ear. The loops let you repeat a chosen section. If the solo over all is too fast for you, pick an easier solo. Start at your level, and move up in difficulty.

I can already see the benefit in getting my ear geared up, hearing intervals better, and by playing along with Chet, you get a real feel for the "feel " of his playing. The sauce you know. the nuance. If I just read this solo out of a book I would never play it the way it is on record. Yes, I had to do some work, but I plan to spend some of my practice time from now on transcribing. It was not nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

Good Luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: