• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tumpet Section giving a clinic, looking for topics to discus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's the story. Bobby Shew is coming to town next weekend for our Jazz Festival, but can only stay for two days. The Band I Section has been asked to do a clinic for all of the trumpet players. We all thought we'd find one topic relevant to our chair to discuss, like approaching solos, tone, articulation, etc.. , and then play a little nasty soli section we have. I'm the second chair player (4th chair is the solo chair in the band) so I can't discuss the soloing aspect (in addition to not being too hot at it, unless it's blues). The only thing I've been able to think of is supporting the lead player, a dirty job, but someone has to do it. Any other advice, suggestions??>>>

ChopsMcgraw
trumpetguy99
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everybody can be the hero. Be proud of the fact that you are a good support player. On the gigs where the normal lead player was out for whatever reason (this was in a latin band) and I had to step up to the plate and take a swing at lead, a good support player, like the guy that I replaced when he left, made all the difference in the world. He knew the music and made my job easier just by being there and being strong.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
trumpetguy99
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trouble spots with the 4th book that I've had to work on have always been 1. matching the lead players articulations when in the lower register it's kinda hard to pop on a low G 2. higher notes sound louder, so playing loud enough to support the lead when you are playing in or below the staff 3. arrangers sometiems write shakes in the staff, try mentioning some possiblities for ways around it.
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ChopsMcGraw,
Let me point out that it is the 2nd chair player who makes the the 1st chair sound good. Or, it is also true that the 2nd chair can destroy the lead player by blowing a little heavy (making him work harder) or by underplaying (making him work harder). Enjoy Bobby S. The guy is a monster player. My personal favorite.
Larry Smithee
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I know the value of the second chair, just trying to make a little to joke.... I've had to try and blow lead over an overexuberant 2nd player before, it's not fun...

ChopsMcgraw
trptsbaker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out "Take the Lead" by Dominic Spera. T.
trptsbaker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out "Take the Lead" by Dominic Spera. T.
Yoinks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chops! What college are you in down there? Arizona state??? Do you know a freshman guy buy the name of Eric that is on a full ride??? He was on the MN Orchestra sub list while he was still in high school. I played with him in some honor band or something one time. I don't know him very well, but I was wondering if you ran into him down there at all?
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry man, I'm up in Flagstaff at Northern Arizona University. Can't say I've run into the guy...

ChopsMcgraw
Yoinks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sorry to get you off the subject. Here are some things, which I think really stop sections from being professional sounding, that you could talk about.
#1.)This sounds obvious, but you must GET YOUR PARTS LEARNED. Emphasize that rehearsals are for style, not rehearsal.
#2.)Get unmarried to the written page. You have to be aware what of what is going on in the section aurally. This, again, sounds obvious, but I would say 19 of 20 bands I heard still don't get this.
#3.)TIME TIME TIME TIME!(I personally also suck at this, but I'm trying!!!) Especially RELEASES!!! Good solid, agreed upon releases(listen to the lead player, even if you don't like it, and he's wrong)are MORE important to a good time feeling in a band than the attacks.
#4.)Balance. 4th trumpet must articulate more than twice as hard to match lead, etc. Lead player must be supported, etc. LISTEN, again. Again, many bands still don't get this either. People think they do, and will say they do, but then not do it.
#5.)Probably one of the most important. DYNAMIC CONTRAST!! If you are playing soft, play really soft, loud, really loud!!! This is one big thing that really makes bands sound like they are in middle school yet, when everything is mf all the way across the board.
#6.)YOU CAN'T BE A WUSS AND PLAY JAZZ. Whatever personality limitations you have, get over them. No one will hold your hand anymore at the college level. If your up there all worried about this and that, and your image, and your just a quiet person and whatnot, you probably WILL end up sucking. You have to be aggressive about everything you do up on the bandstand, that's just a fact.

Maybe not using those exact words, but I think a lot of that people need to hear. Hey, I don't even play in the top jazz ensemble in my college, and the reasons are I still have problems following my own above advice,and fall way short on many occasions. However, Too often people just hear, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, so they go learn the notes, and that gets them about nowhere. YOu have to have playing goals in mind, and specific places you want to go.

Hope that helps

[ This Message was edited by: Yoinks on 2002-03-02 17:04 ]
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic post, Yoinks! If I may be so bold as to summarize: "Learn the music, not the notes!" - Don
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thamks for all of the suggestions, it's good to have an outside look at things. It's hard for me to put in words the things/techniques that I've spent years internalizing, the multitude of little details, that when put together add up to make a good section great. BTW, for any of you Phoenix players, Flag is only two hours away, the Jazz fest promises to be a good concert, Bobby is a mother.

ChopsMcgraw
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Trumpetguy99 said...

it's kinda hard to pop on a low G

what's pop?

I've got my own names fro trix etc....

is it hard release??

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: