• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which Cup Mutes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play in numerous groups and have come to the conclusion that nobody agrees about mutes. I thought I would see what some of the opinions are on TH. We each turn up to rehearsals with bags of mutes (no joke!) and then decide which brand to use for each piece. The biggest discussion we have is about cup mutes.
The most popular two with us are the H&B Stonelined Cup and the Denis Wick Adjustable Cup. I am a huge fan of the latter, especially for the more melodic pieces, but others prefer the H&B.
We have even had some pieces where we have changed from one brand to the other in the middle to get a change in tone.
Whilst in Texas this year (for the ITG Conference) I noticed a lot of players using the Denis Wick mutes.
Anybody out there in Trumpet Land have any thoughts as to which cup mute is the current favourite and why?

Yamaha Bb 6335HS (Najoom leadpipe)
Yamaha Rotary Bb
F Besson C (Najoom leadpipe)
Yamaha Eb 6610S
Scherzer G
F Besson Piccolo
Yamaha Maestro Bb Cornet
Eclipse Copper Flugel
Getzen 4-Valve Flugel
pitchb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the H&B, but I cut off one of the corks. If you do this, you will be able to put the mute farther up the bell and get the actual "cup" closer to the bell. This allows for a much more pronounced "cup-mute sound." I haven't found a better cup-mute solution in my travels. It's a cheap way to go, and I highly recommend that you give it a try. If you don't like it, you can always just glue the cork back on and stash it away (or maybe you'll like the sound better with all three corks. Whatever works). Good luck.

Matt
HorneyMikey
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every few years I buy 2 new H & B cup mutes, `1 mute for C trumept, 1 for Bb. Then, I sand the corks down, until the mute is almost touching the bell flare. That way they sound the best, and are in tune the best.

I also have a Denis Wick adjustable cup mute. Great mute, but different sound than the H & B.

One can never have too many mutes...................

Mike
nowherenearadoublec
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Jo-Ral?
Alan
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer H&B
Tom K.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the H&B Mica Mute over their regular cup mute. I think it has a thicker lining in the cup. I also like the old Harmon brand metal mute with the removable cup, so you have a straight, cup, or plunger (it even comes with a finger hook on the plunger): a whole different flavor. I agree with the above posting: you can never have too many mutes.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several cup mutes to fit horns with different size bells:

I like the Denis Wick Precision Mute because it's adjustable and can be damped down to serve as a practice mute. Trouble is it can be a little tricky to use in quick change situations (the sliding cup can move when you're grabbing for it.)

My Jo-Ral Tri-Tone is a nice mute and will fit large bell horns.

I have a copper Denis Wick that's shorter than most mutes and won't fit in large bell horns, but it sounds great in horns in which it does fit, like my Olds Recording.

And I have couple of older red-and-white H&B's that sound fine, although they won't fit my Kanstul which has a bell based on the Bach 72.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself not liking the metallic sound of the Wick cup. I am so used to the H+B sound that the Wick doesn't do it for me. An additional problem I've found for section work is making sure everyone in the section has their Wick set for a similar sound. The adjustment can make the sound change dramaticly.

My favorite cup for solo work is the new one made by TrumCor. It is made from a fiber material with a wood end cap I believe. I love the sound you can get with it.

Scott
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both H&B and and Wick... The Wick works better for me in quieter situations, while the H&B seems to open up more if the band I'm playing with is a bit louder.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite cup mute is actually a Tom Crown in copper. Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to file the corks to fit my C trumpet so it mostly sits on the shelf.

Other than that, I use my Wick when I want to play in tune and my Stone-Lined when I don't...

...you do the math.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing a Kanstul 1504 recently and discovered my Tom Crown copper cup doesn't fit the large bell (mute too short), so I got a Jo-Ral aluminum cup and it fits fine and sounds great.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
smithwatkinsguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the H&B Stonelined cup mute and just by chance, one of my corks fell off and then another one ripped in half (don't know how that happened) so I got marcus bonna mute cork and took of the rest of the cork and put the new corks where the old cork was and it just allows the cup to be a little closer to the bell because the corks are slimmer and it just helps it get a more mellow sound.
Rhode Island All-State Orchestra
The Hartt School of Music
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jsou1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another very cool Cup Mute is made by Ullven. This is the only one I use now. It's very versatile. It's adjustable and the cup is detachable so you can use it as a straight mute too. It's aluminum (I think). Mine is black and they make them in white too. I bought mine at Rayburn in Boston. I couldn't find anyone online that sells them but here's a link to a European company and a pic of the mute: http://www.brasseriehamburg.de/brass/en/angeb.htm

2014 Schilke Handcraft HCL-1
1941 Conn NY Symphony (22B)
1973 Yamaha 731 Flugelhorn
Warburton mouthpieces (anchor grip tops)
Castle Bravo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use stone lined. It has the sound I like, and I don't really care about having fancy mutes for the sake of having fancy mutes. If a mute has the sound you like, keep it. Kinda like golf...be loyal to clubs that work.
samlg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a wick because thats was sort of standard in the bands i was in, i have recently been using it properly, ie moving the cup to the right place for the sound, i know too many people who just shove a mute in and expect it to do the job. i wouldnt use that mute with out the cup (as a straight) thats what i have a straight for, tuning is not as good with the black part and it does not have the right sound. i have played an Eb tom crown, but that didnt do it for me. the humes and berg mute ain my cup o' tea either, its good but it hasnt got what im looking for.

sam
cujazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H&B,,,,,coz its cheap ,I paid $7 on mine brand new.
I_Wanna_Scream

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H & B wins all the time with me. Found the Denis Wick model stuffy no matter where I set the cup whereas the Humes and Berg blows so much more freely and with a tighter fit.

Graham
....and many more!!!

Try everything in life at least once...................except incest and folk dancing!
connloyalist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a H&B, a Denis Wick adjustable and a Jo-Ral. I prefer the Jo-Ral. why? I like the slightly metallic sound the Wick and Jo-Ral make over the H&B. Plus the Wick and Jo-Ral tune better than the H&B (for me). The Wick is a bit on the heavy side (weight wise) for my taste. The Jo-Ral is mich less heavy and I like the sound of it. Plus, the felt inlays allow different you to make different sounds. I put just the top felt in to dampen it a little of needed, or just the conical bottom felt if the music calls for a bucket.

Regards, Christine
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dredging this one up: I'm looking to get a cup and I've been recommended the H&B stonelined, but my local music shop only has the mica ones. How much of a difference is there between these? Should I just wait until I can get my hands on a H&B stonelined?

Thanks.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackD,
Drive down the street to the next music store and pick up a good ol' Humes & Berg Stonelined cup mute. One shouldn't be hard to find in London.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: