• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Probable crap?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trump_it
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about these? They look cool, but who knows how they play?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2553221090&category=41400
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these are the same mouthpieces that were at ITG this year, they were surprisingly good.
Can’t remember the make of those, but I was very impressed, especially with the price!
Scootsky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this web site- http://www.mouthpiecewizard.com/superior.htm
-GS
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw a demo table with those things on it along with some Xenos while at the DCI finals. Makes me think I should've tried both.
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these the "Official" mouthpieces of "Blast!" ??????

romey
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blue Man group would probably play on those...
O-Dawgg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those clear ones would be good as a true embouchure visualizer. You could see how they really play with a piece and horn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sceptical of any mouthpiece that come in `Marching Maroon'!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bent trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have purchased several in all the sizes they offer, for both trumpet and cornet. Although they claim to be based on the Bach numbering system, I find them to be a bit larger than Bach mouthpieces. They are inexpensive, and I really like the way they sound. They certainly attract a lot of attention at rehearsals and jobs.

I have asked the owner to make a size with a shallower cup.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At ITG I bought one of the clear 3Cs to use as a visualizer and a spare mouthpiece. It feels remarkably good and VERY close to my regular Bach 3C (much better than any knock-off I've played). There is a very slight difference in tone quality (probably due to the construction materials), but the response is virtually identical.

Based on my experience I have to endorse this product wholeheartedly, particularly if you need either a mouthpiece for visualization or something for outdoor cold weather gigs.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just purchased one of these in a 3C and I got it out for a wind orchestra rehearsal this evening.
I have to admit I am very impressed indeed!!
I found the low register a little unresposive, but I am used to using a Warburton 1D, so it could just have been I found this mouthpiece rather small.
My tone was relatively unaffected, maybe a little brighter than usual, but that could also have been down to the lack of depth in this mouthpiece.
Power and projection were as normal.
My range felt secure in the upper echelons.
For the money, these were very impressive indeed!!!!!
For younger players I can see these becoming a very useful part of my teaching - after all, which students wouldn't want to play on a bright green mouthpiece?
ConnFreak_andDaughter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me for one...
Since it is supposed to be unresponsive to weather, is it harder to get it/keep it warm when playing? Or easier, since it dosen't get cold?

~Kelsey
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend that is a very good trumpet player and he is now using the plastic Mad Max mouthpieces sold at Brasswind ( a 5c). I tried the Mad Max 3c myself and they are surprisingly good mouthpieces. They play and sound nice. They aren't colored but seem to only come in clear plastic. They are a bit weird though...
trump_it
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really don't know how the mouthpiece numbering works...so, which mouthpiece (from the auction) would be best for lead playing?
walter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Reinhardt used to make plastic mouthpieces decades ago. He made a clear plastic mouthpiece as a "visualizer", and a Lexan mouthpiece (off-white) to be used as a regular mouthpiece.

The clear mouthpieces seemed a bit clearer than the ones that I saw on eBay, and their main benefit as a "visualizer" was to see if a player was Upstream or Downstream. If you're not familiar with these general categories of Reinhardt's Pivot System, I'll just say that ALL players blow their airstreams either up or down. The higher you play, the closer the airstream goes toward the rim, and the lower you play, the closer the airstream goes toward the throat. It is NOT intuitive; so even if you think you can tell just by looking at someone, the chances of you're being correct are 50%. In other words, don't bet on it.

Doc's clear plastic mouthpieces were easy to scratch, whereas Lexan (a trademark) is very difficult to break. Doc used to invite players to through the mouthpieces to the floor (as in Monty Python's Life of Brian). They didn't break or bend. The clear mouthpieces (non-Lexan) were not for everyday playing, whereas the Lexan mouthpieces were designed for normal use.

Doc told me that because the plastic mouthpieces didn't "slip" on the lips as easily as brass mouthpieces, a player might choose a larger size. Doc only made 3 sizes of Lexan mouthpieces to my knowledge. They sounded great. Sometimes conductors would look at me with a strange look when I used them, but once they heard the sound, they dropped any questioning looks.

The Lexan mouthpieces had the big advantage of feeling "warm" even in the coldest weather. Of course, there is no "warming up". For outside playing, I can't think of a better material than Lexan. Of course, a mouthpiece is no better than its design. However, since Lexan mouthpieces are molded rather than lathed, they are very consistent in size.

Since I use a MAC, I can dig the idea of difference, whether in color or concept. If you're a Bach Strad, Windoze computer type of person, just tell yourself that you're right and anyone who disagrees is an incompetant jerk. Of course, neither Bach trumpets nor Windoze were original concepts.
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a kid brought back a sample to my local music store... it was a trombone peice so i didn't get to try it... but while i was in BSin w/ the guy that runs the store he ordered 1 of every type of peice they had... he knows they'll sell like mad to the jr high kids... he ordered at least 1 1c so i'll give it a try when they come in, my bet is they are very consistant as they are molded vs cut w/ a lathe... molds will last much longer vs the consistancy of a cutting machine.

should be intresting to play w/ it... but i won't buy it.

mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: