• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Charlie Porter on the three compressions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares if he doesn't use $50 words & scientific principles to describe his methods. He shows you plainly that his description in plain everyday English results in playing the trumpet. Period, plain & simple So put a video out there to back up your sciency descriptions & put your money literally where your mouth is.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'problem' with incorrect or misleading 'sciency descriptions' is that someone will latch onto what they believe is 'good science' and use unhelpful techniques that they think the 'science' is recommending.

e.g. trying to use their tongue to actually 'compress air',
as opposed to its real value of assisting in lip & jaw positioning.
The tongue doesn't do any significant 'compressing', but its effect on aperture size / shape / flexibility can result in higher internal air pressure to be maintained, and to obtain the feeling of 'faster air'.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but its effect on aperture size / shape / flexibility can result in higher internal air pressure to be maintained

No Jay, those do not result in that.

Ther is ONE pressure source when playing, that is the pressure state of the lungs and exhalation effort.

There is ONE "compression".
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jay. I get that. These piece parts if you will (tongue, lips, jaw, etc) all work together. There isn't one that dominates. But seein is believin so to speak. When I see specific detailed instruction such as Charlie Porter's videos backed by his playing unitizing what he describes, no matter what sciency or non-sciency words he uses, that's the proof to me that someone of his caliber knows what he's talking about. Same with John Mohan. He's played lead chair in six major broadway productions! We all have opinions & that's fine. But when someone like kalijah insinuates that these guys don't know what they're talking about, & he tries to back that throwing around aerodynamic principles versus actual accomplishments as a player; tell us what he has he actually achieved? (Oh Visutti is wrong too)? Me, I'm just a comeback-hack. Prove me wrong, but I think the guy is just a frustrated person who I think is probably a terrific player. But it seems he's trying to feed his ego with scientific principles versus putting out a video like they have, providing some instruction to back up his claims with actual playing versus $50 words. Show us the money, because Visutti, Mohan & Porter have.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvf1095 wrote:
Not so. Kalijah is opposing what Charlie is saying. [. . . ] All I see Kalijah doing, is describing what HE THINKS is happening but does not back that up by demonstrating what he thinks is happening. So make a video & show us.

But Kalijah isn't necessarily opposing what Charlie is demonstrating, he's just changing the words to be accurate. So like when Charlie says the tongue compresses the air, it's just not true, no matter what he says. But when charlie demonstrates how the tongue can help, that IS true (at least for him and others' experience).

The thing I don't think you're getting is that trumpet playing on video looks like trumpet playing. If Charlie went on there and said exactly what Kalijah was saying, the video would look the same. Charlie could have said: I just think about rainbows and this is the result -- just think about rainbows.

The words are describing experience, not necessarily reality.

Good luck!
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe so. But the guy is rude & condescending; this especially to top caliber players in the world? Come off it man. THAT'S my point! I've looked at a lot of his posts & his choice of words & attitude when posting about other players leaves a lot to be desired; & I'm not the only poster who sees that. Stop hiding behind words & give us some thing we can actually see & hear on the horn.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Quote:
... to be maintained

No Jay, those do not result in that.

Ther is ONE pressure source when playing, that is the pressure state of the lungs and exhalation effort.

There is ONE "compression".

--------------------------
I agree about the 'one compression', but pressure cannot be maintained unless there is something that resists flow. Playing produces the resistance, and changing lip posture changes the amount of resistance.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvf1095 wrote:
Maybe so. But the guy is rude & condescending; this especially to top caliber players in the world? Come off it man. THAT'S my point! I've looked at a lot of his posts & his choice of words & attitude when posting about other players leaves a lot to be desired; & I'm not the only poster who sees that. Stop hiding behind words & give us some thing we can actually see & hear on the horn.

It's interesting that you interpret it that way. We are all human, even you are letting the emotion get the best of you.

But here's the thing, a lot of "top caliber players" don't have science degrees. The issue is when those "top caliber players" think they know how the sausage is made because they eat sausage the best (or a driver thinking they know how to make an engine because they drive well). Kalijah is just responding to incorrect information, it doesn't matter who is on the other side.

If a driver came in and said: this is how an engine is made, and you who has the knowledge of how an engine is made (let's say you're a mechanic) go: well that's not true (and you know you're right). It doesn't matter if it's Mario Andretti, Max Verstappen, or Jeff Gordon, you know you're right and they are wrong, no matter how well they drive.

The problem is when "drivers" explain things incorrectly and because they are "top caliber" people listen to what they say without scrutiny and do all sorts of stuff. "Top caliber" players either need to get knowledgeable and correct about what they are saying, or be upfront and say "I think this is how it is and I'm describing my experience, but it may not be 100% correct."
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all well & good. But don't try & "correct" these people in a rude, condescending, & smug way. That's the issue here vs a science degree. Don't shove that degree in someone's face. And yes, I am getting emotional about it because there's no reason for him to act like mr know it all because he has a degree in aerodynamics or what ever. Have a constructive conversation & state your views rather than coming off so smug putting down others shoving his scientific knowledge at them. You can state your point; but not in a... you don't know what your talking about degrading manner. I do, because I have a degree. I'm not the only one on this forum that sees him that way. It's not his knowledge, it's the way he comes across with it. Get my point?
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvf1095 wrote:
That's all well & good. But don't try & "correct" these people in a rude, condescending, & smug way. That's the issue here vs a science degree. Don't shove that degree in someone's face. And yes, I am getting emotional about it because there's no reason for him to act like mr know it all because he has a degree in aerodynamics or what ever. Have a constructive conversation & state your views rather than coming off so smug putting down others shoving his scientific knowledge at them. You can state your point; but not in a... you don't know what your talking about degrading manner. I do, because I have a degree. I'm not the only one on this forum that sees him that way. It's not his knowledge, it's the way he comes across with it. Get my point?

Haha, I did go back and read this thread now. At the beginning, Kalijah just states facts "the sky is blue, grass is green." People react poorly to facts and call kalijah out, and then kalijah reacts poorly to those goading him. Everybody is at fault here. But on page 2, Kalijah, very reasonably explains his position.

He's not acting like mr. know it all, when it comes to the physics of trumpet playing, he actually knows more than all here.

Mohan, whom you mention, is guilty of acting in a degrading manner, being a know it all, but you seem to have a favorable opinion about him. Perhaps you don't like science and are having an adverse reaction to that?
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, ok, done with this useless thread. Let's just move on. Happy horn to all!!!!
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Charlie breached the scientific theory. Not me.

I think you wanted "Charlie broached the scientific theory."

Now we can close this useless thread.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
kalijah wrote:
Charlie breached the scientific theory. Not me.

I think you wanted "Charlie broached the scientific theory."

Now we can close this useless thread.

Useless is in the eye of the beholder
jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray abontrumpet, you got the last word it! Now go home & get your shine box!
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:

Agreed. (I was just making a tie-in to the previous post for humorous effect.)

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
abontrumpet wrote:

Agreed. (I was just making a tie-in to the previous post for humorous effect.)

Ah, I see what you were doing now! That was funny. I was attempting to be humorous (by replacing "beauty" with "useless") but I am very aware my jokes are often not very funny lol.
Bethmike
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject: 3 compressions Reply with quote

TLDR - the tongue can allow the muscles of exhalation to create pressure.

I think the muscles of exhalation squeeze the lungs to force air the air out. If there is no resistance (e.g. no trumpet and the mouth is wide open) there will be very little pressure created. Yes, there needs to be SOME pressure created to cause the air to flow, but it will be very small. So, the muscles of exhalation alone do not create pressure.

For the muscles of exhalation to create pressure, there needs to be resistance near the mouth. It can be a small opening before the teeth, created by the tongue position against the ridge/roof of the mouth. It can be a small opening after the teeth, created by the embouchure (and supported by a mouthpiece), and for me, both of these. For me, the better I am at creating an "inner aperture" with the tongue, the less effort is required by my embouchure. There is also resistance after the mouth, caused by the mpc throat, backbore, horn, etc. All of these things (I think) can create resistance to allow the muscles of exhalation to create pressure.

Since playing is what is referred to as a dynamic system (i.e. the air is moving) the pressure does not have to be the same from the bottom of the lungs to the exit point of the embouchure. In fact, it will not be the same. The air speed in the middle of the oral cavity (speed is inches/sec, not cubic inches per second) will be slower than the air speed passing through the embouchure aperture.

Just my $0.02

Mike

Smithers: "ummmm Mr. Burns, the above post intentionally avoided discussing if higher pressure or higher velocity creates higher notes".

Mr Burns: "Release the hounds, Smithers".
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvf1095 wrote:
Why don't we end this thread with a limerick... There was a young man from Nantucket...anyone care to finish it???

There was a young man from Nantucket
His mouthpiece was big as a bucket
He played with compression
Through most of a session
Until all his sidemen said . . . "Chuck it!"

jvf1095
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRAVO HALFLIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvf1095 wrote:
BRAVO HALFLIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aw shucks . . . 😏

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: