• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

playing a wedding sat. HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekphtpt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a pic from a helpful friend because I realized that playing the Trumpet Voluntary was nearly impossible for me on my Bb.
This is the thing. I've never played a pic before. I'm just getting used to it. Any tips from professional players here?
As well, do I play the Wedding March (longherin, sp?) as well or is that just organ?
Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the piccolo is in A rather than B flat, this makes the trills easier because you are in F major (rather than E major).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are able to – rehearse with the organist a couple of times beforehand. This should give you some extra confidence, as well as checking through the usual things – such as whether you are playing the pieces in the same key!! This may sound obvious, but I have turned up to play a wedding only to find out that the organist had the music for a couple of pieces in a different key, thank goodness for decent transposition skills!
As for the Wedding March, there are many versions available for trumpet and organ. If you have been asked to play for the piece I would recommend investing in one very quickly. If you have the option of not playing, that might be the easiest way out.
If you are having trouble with the piccolo – see if the organist can do the transposition (if they are decent they almost certainly can). If they can play it in Bb major, you can then play it in C on your Bb. Just another thought to throw into the arena.
derekphtpt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dudes. The pic is in A, by the way, so yes the trills are easier. Thing is, I haven't practiced (really practiced) trills since highschool almost 9 years ago. Get this, the organist, as a rule, never rehearses for Weddings. I'm going to try to get my roomate to help me out and read the part so I can get a sense for it at least. Wish I had a recording to go from so I could get the articulations correct. I feel like I'm being to herky-jerky on the dotted 8th-16th figures in the begining. I tend to fall into jazz swing by accident without thinking.
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On thing to remeber since you are new to Picc.. is RELAX.. It is so easy to over blow then you tense up ..
I had it happen when I was rehearsing for my Brother's Wedding.. The Organist was dirving me crazy & I Started to over blow trying to get him back on & next thing I know I'm cracking.. Once I relaxed & let the " Wee Lil Beastie" do the work for me everything was fine.

On Another NOTE... MAKE sure the organist is using the same Arrgangements as you.. I always send the music to the Organist just in case but I use the Wallace-Head books so most organist know them. See if you can talk to the organist & have a practice session even if you do it before the rehearsal.. We found out at my Brothers's Wedding that the Organ wasn't working correctly.. FUN FUN .. & of course IM the one who figured out how to fix it..

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
derekphtpt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice Kevin.
thelurker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: thelurker on 2003-08-27 17:43 ]
trpt-master
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like my kind of organist. Why rehearse when you can live on the edge. Heck its only the most important moment in a couples life. If you fold like a high school kid on a Monette Mouthpiece so be it. What you are going to have to do is step up to the plate and knock out a home run son. Don't give me the "I wish I had a recording" song and dance I see so often around here. Take a look at your library for a recording or Borders. They usually have a bunch of recordings on wedding sampler things for brides. If by chance you fall into the jazz swing feel run with it. Make that pic submit!

In Peace,

TM

Quote:

On 2003-08-27 11:26, derekphtpt wrote:
Thanks dudes. The pic is in A, by the way, so yes the trills are easier. Thing is, I haven't practiced (really practiced) trills since highschool almost 9 years ago. Get this, the organist, as a rule, never rehearses for Weddings. I'm going to try to get my roomate to help me out and read the part so I can get a sense for it at least. Wish I had a recording to go from so I could get the articulations correct. I feel like I'm being to herky-jerky on the dotted 8th-16th figures in the begining. I tend to fall into jazz swing by accident without thinking.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be great.
You are obviously putting in the work to be as prepared as possible.
If anything should happen to go wrong (which it won’t!) – blame the organist, it’s what they are there for!!!!

I agree with the idea of checking out the library if you really do want to hear how someone else plays it. I have heard many players play some of the rhythms in a slight swing fashion – they claimed they were being “authentic” using a “French lilt.” They were, of course, speaking rubbish – but only another trumpeter would have picked up on this fact. You can play it with the “French lilt” if you want – if the organist doesn’t follow you, he will look like the fool. It will be his fault for not rehearsing!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: