• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

teeth space and....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dustin Lee Wilson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how far should your teeth be apart when playing? Also..I can play up to a double as Ab but everything after that ..air..no mattter how hard i blow,,how hard compress...or how hard I pull(id rather avoid that as much as possible..

dustin
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya!

Teeth = 1/2 inch apart (jaw slightly forward).

Your trouble with Ab and above is that you are using too much pressure in ALL the lower registers...TRY THIS...

1. PLAY A SECOND LINE G FROM COLD........MEZZOFORTE

2. AND AGAIN

3. AND AGAIN

4. NOW PLAY IT (WORTH ONE BEAT) AND SLUR MOVING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN YOUR BODY (NO LIP/JAW ENGAGEMENT) UP TO THE A ONE NOTE HIGHER AND HOLD FOR TWO BEATS.

IF THE NOTES DON'T COME EASILY DO THE SLUR AGAIN...

5. REPEAT PROCESS 4 PLAYING G,A,B...... PUSHING A LITTLE FARTHER OUT WITH AIR AS YOU ASCEND. DON'T PLAY TOO LOUD THOUGH,... KEEP THE TONE CENTERED AND FOCUSSED AT ALL TIMES MPC. PRESSURE DOWN!

6. GABC

7. GABCD
8. GABCDE
9. GABCDEF#
10.GABCDEF# G ........NOW HERE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND....

THE G ON TOP OF THE STAFF NEEDS TO FEEL..... (EXCEPT FOR INTERNAL AIR PRESSURE)..... LIKE IT IS ''NO MORE DIFFICULT'' (LIP/JAW WISE) THAN THE SECOND LINE G YOU STARTED ON!!!!

NOW DO THE Ab scale (second space)....etc..

-----------I HOPE SOME OF THIS HELPS YOU---LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON!!--------

Yours Roddy o-iii<O

http://www.R-o-d-d-y-T-r-u-m-p-e-t.cC
Wtrager

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roddy wrote:
"Hiya!

Teeth = 1/2 inch apart (jaw slightly forward). "

Roddy, I think you meant to say approximately 1/2". There are many varying opinions on teeth spacing. Anywhere from a 1/4" to 3/4". I was told that Lin Biviano plays in the upper register with his teeth closed. Everyone is different, and blanket statements like this could be misconstrued by many. Just my two cents.
Sincerely,
Wayne http://communities.msn.com/TragerTrumpetTalk
PS - I like the exercise
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NCTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't anything I'd advocate today, but it was an interesting trick by my trumpet teacher when I was in the 7th grade:

I was playing with a small sound, perhaps a bit stuffy, I can't really remember. "Doc" Sampson smoked and always carried a roll of certs with him.

He gave me a certs and said, "Put this between your back molars and play." I thought he was nuts, but I did, and HOLY SMOKES! BIG, (huge, really) sound, out of a 12 year old kid. Immediately. I don't think I had any choice but to use a lot of air. Changed my sound instantly, and dramatically, forever.

Doc was a fine man. And this is a fond (albiet strange) memory of him.

JC.
Wtrager

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>He gave me a certs and said, "Put this between your back molars and play." I thought he was nuts, but I did, and HOLY SMOKES! BIG, (huge, really) sound, out of a 12 year old kid. <<

My father used to use square pencil erasers on students that he felt were closing their teeth. I was one of his victims. I use to close my teeth with such force that I use to split the eraser in half - yuck!
Sincerely,
Wayne
http://communities.msn.com/TragerTrumpetTalk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rch-tech
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

square eraser on edge or square erase flat?
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a natural upper/lower teeth gap. Jerry Callet has taught me that this is to my advantage. Ergo, I play with a gap that exceeds 1/2". Takes extra chops muscles, but works...for me.

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com

[ This Message was edited by: Cozy on 2002-02-15 20:17 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roddy o-iii<O stated above:

"THE G ON TOP OF THE STAFF NEEDS TO FEEL..... (EXCEPT FOR INTERNAL AIR PRESSURE)..... LIKE IT IS ''NO MORE DIFFICULT'' (LIP/JAW WISE) THAN THE SECOND LINE G YOU STARTED ON!!!! "

Good statement!

Clint "Pops" McLaughlin told me during a private lesson in August, 1999 that when he took lessons from Don "Jake" Jacoby for a few years, Don advised students to (always) set the lips for the G on top the staff...and then from there, it was to relax (proportionately) when descending and just the opposite action for ascending.

Don Jacoby also thought that too many players tighten their abdomen muscles MUCH too early for proper tonal support. His suggestion was to wait until the G on the staff was attained, and then the trumpet player could use the desired muscles for more efficiency. Clint talked about how hard it was to get used to NOT having to tighten too soon, but eventually, he was able to adjust to only what was absolutely necessary to get the desired results.

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham

[ This Message was edited by: Lex Grantham on 2002-02-16 00:11 ]
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
davo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roddy,

Thanks for this exercise. I immediately grabbed my horn and tried it and realized that this made one focus on their chops (or tongue level, or whatever) to achieve the increasing range without defaulting to using more pressure, albeit only a little more pressure from mid-staff G to top of the staff G.

This was very enlightening for me and I just wanted to express my appreciation for this contribution. I'll keep using this and I'm sure that over time, my pressure requirement will be reduced.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: