• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wynton Vs. Sandoval

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRJAZZMAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubba C.
Let's stop with all of the female body parts references, clean it up, and grow up.
You can show your dislike/disdain for Wynton with out tripping into the gutter. There are plenty of girl trumpeters out there who frequent this site who don't need to be subjected to your vulgar comparisons.
As far as all of this talk about Wynton and Arturo.....Dave Bacon mentioned several excellent players both classical and non.
Anyone sampled Allen Vizzutti's works? Talk about precision! Man!
King Legend .462 in silver
Bobby Shew Lead and Flugel mpcs
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Wynton's 3rd movement of the Hummel is better than Arturo's, because Arturo's version is really bad. Don't get me wrong, Arturo is one of my favorite players, but he just missed on that one. His classical album wasn't bad, but the third movement of the Hummel sounded really bad. He articulated it too hard. Hummel was German, not Cuban, you can't play his piece like it was "Funky Cha Cha".

When it comes to overall trumpet playing, Arturo is far beyond Wynton however, imo. Wynton's classical playing is nice and tasteful, but it's boring to me. Plus everyone knows he uses "studio magic". Since his first classical album, Arturo has gotten a lot better, listen to his stuff on Trumpet Evolution, the Doksheizer, Andre and Mendez recordings, greatly improved. His sound is greatly improved and taste are much better. Overall I'd still say Wynton is probably the better classical player though.

In jazz, at least to me (and many others) Arturo is way beyond Wynton. Wynton can play classical nicely but no way could he ever put that heart, soul, fire and virtuosity into his jazz playing that Sandoval does.

I've seen both of them live, Sandoval once, and Wynton like three times. I was never really impressed by Wynton's live performances. They were very saxophone dominated and when he did play he didn't sound that great. When I saw Arturo live he came out there screaming and doing all sorts of trumpet acrobatics and really got people interested. He also played a lot of piano and percussion but he played his ass off that night on trumpet. Arturo's show was about an hour and forty minutes, Wynton's often last around three, and by then I'm fighting the fatigue from sitting there and listening for so long.

Overall I think it's not fair to say who is better overall, they're both better at their respective strengths. However, I'd much rather hear/see Arturo in jazz, I've never seen either of them perform classical but by recordings Wynton has done a bit more. The thing is though, Wynton has become like a frontman (if you will) for jazz. He is doing so much that is not related to trumpet playing at all, keeping the music in the public eye, as is Sandoval, but he's not doing all those fundraisers like Wynton. Because of this, Wynton can't put as many eggs into his trumpet playing basket as Arturo can. Wynton's doing something different. Arturo knows he is also a celebrity and in the public eye so he pays tribute to the masters by making the TE album. Arturo uses his trumpet playing, and Wynton uses his abilities and a clinician, businessman and bandleader a bit more. Who would you rather hear? You could ask anyone and get a different answer. I'd rather hear Arturo, but that's just my personal opinion.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon --

Tiny, fussy, nitpicky item:

"Dave Hickman has a keyed bugle, or trumpet, that Gerry Endsley made for him."

I can't tell from that whether you mean, "...has some kind of keyed instrument which may be a keyed bugle or may be a keyed trumpet, I'm not sure..." or "...has a keyed bugle which is also known as a keyed trumpet..."

Just to be absolutely clear on the point, a keyed bugle and a keyed trumpet are different instruments.

Wynton vs. Arturo ---> keyed trumpet vs. keyed bugle. Do I get a medal for the strangest digression from a thread topic, or what?
mustbflat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Wynton is a great player and his classical CD is outstanding but....

Buy a copy of Trumpet Evolution and listen to that, then tell me that Arturo isn't one of the most versatile trumpet players in the world. He's much, much more than a scream-latin trumpeter (imho anyway)!
Jim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly both players have different styles and sound concepts and it is obvious to me that Wynton is the more accurate player and has phenomenal range even if his range is not nearly so amazing as Arturo's. Classical music--Wynton wins hands down. Jazz music--Wynton again wins hands down because his solos make musical sense and don't meander. Arturo's solos, phenomenal as they are, captivate me only from a "Wow, listen to that lick" standpoint whereas Wynton's improvisations consistently set/create a mood consistent with the style of music he is playing. Both will historically be known for their great respective talents but my opinion is that Wynton is the superior overall player when compared to the great Arturo. Just my thoughts, Jim
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Recording techniques have NOTHING to do with it"

I disagree with that. It's obvious that, in the Hummel recordings, Arturo's sound is very dry, and Wynton's is more reverberated.

Now, that's not to say there is no difference between the performances. Wynton is much better at playing the classical. IMO Arturo shouldn't have released his version of this song. It's better then I can do, but not very classical-sounding to me.

However, since Arturo decided to venture into this world, he should be considered open for critisizm and comparison in this genre.

Also, Wynton's recording is done with a C-trumpet (not that it makes a hell of a difference).

And by the way, I think that Sergei Nakariakov's version blows both versions out of the water. As technical as Wyntons, but with all of the passion and flame of Arturo's.

[ This Message was edited by: the chief on 2003-10-21 04:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: the chief on 2003-10-21 04:07 ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: