• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horn and/or mouthpiece switch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smooth Horn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Horn and/or mouthpiece switch Reply with quote

I am looking for a darker sound as I am playing mostly solo jazz right now. I have been playing a Benge 3xplus for 35 years. I have an opportunity to acquire a Courtois Evolution 4 trumpet and I am interested in the horn. As far as mouthpiece, I have been playing a Schilke 13A4A, what would be a good mouthpiece transition that would lend itself to a darker tone without being too drastic of a change?
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you could start with just a Schilke 13. Same rim size, but deeper cup and more open blow.

I have no experience with the Courtois Evo horns, but the added weight should, hypothetically, make the horn sound darker.

That being said, a Benge with a larger mouthpiece should be able to sound dark.

I'll be the first of many to say this, but a dark, warm, combo sound is more about approach than equipment. That being said, it will be VERY hard to get on a Benge with a 13a4a, but the equipment just aids in the sound production.

So, my two cents is to try out a plain old Schilke 13, and just work on playing with a darker, warmer sound on the horn you've got. Then, you can decide if a separate horn / mouthpiece is really necessary.

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mouthpiece is almost certainly the main contributor to your bright sound. The 13C4 is the next-deeper stock Schilke that has the 4 rim, but between the deeper cup and larger backbore it's a fairly large jump, IMO. The 13A4a and 13A4 also both have a custom rim contour that isn't quite the same as the standard 4 rim -- the 13A4a was originally a custom model developed for Mike Vax.

My suggestion would be to call Schilke and talk to the mouthpiece shop. Tell them you want a 13A4a, with the cup deepened to a B depth and the backbore enlarged to a b. Stress that you want the same rim as the 13A4a. It'll be a custom order, but a custom mouthpiece is a lot cheaper than a new horn.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to add a little more explanation. I have a buddy who went on an enormous horn safari a few years ago, when he was trying to get a darker sound. The problem was, *he* didn't want a darker sound. He liked his (extremely bright) sound, but everywhere he played he was asked to tone it down.

His mouthpiece? A Schilke 13A4a, which he initially refused to change. After quite a few different trumpets and thousands of dollars, he finally ordered a 13C4 -- which he hated, describing the sound as "dead." The sound was fine, but his sound concept was very bright and he hated not having any of his accustomed brilliance. So he custom-ordered a 13B4, whereupon he discovered the difference in the 4 rim. So he custom-ordered another 13B4, specifying the 13A4 rim. And discovered that the c backbore was too open for him.

Ultimately he abandoned the Schilke and now plays a Monette. But I think the b backbore might have been the solution.
Smooth Horn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I thought about experimenting with a Monette but way too pricey!! I borrowed a Marcinkiewicz from a buddy but it was the Gillette model big bore free blowing horn, after about 30 minutes on it I was worn out. I don't mind spending money on a new horn, especially if it is the right fit, I actually would like to have a gold finish as mine is silver. This horn that I am looking at also has the adjustment on the lead pipe, which I have never experienced before. Thoughts??
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooth Horn,

I use Schilke mouthpieces. Before you go on a horn safari of your own, you should definitely try a Schilke 13B first.

It has a slightly different, but still comfortable rim, a 26 throat, vs. the 27 on the 13A4A and a larger back bore, which should help darken the sound.

It's also a lot cheaper than a new horn.

BTW, I use that mouthpiece, and a Schilke 14, on my LA Benge 3X.

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
Smooth Horn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, thanks for all the help. I'll do some mouthpiece alterations first before I go jumping into a new horn. Nice info.
Smooth Horn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Schilke 13 have the exact same rim style as the 13a4a?? I am very comfortable with the rounded, soft rim on my a4a.....
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooth Horn wrote:
Does the Schilke 13 have the exact same rim style as the 13a4a?? I am very comfortable with the rounded, soft rim on my a4a.....

No. The rim on a Schilke 13 will be quite different -- thinner and more rounded -- than the rim you're used to. Only the 13A4a and 13A4 will have the same rim. The 13C4 will be closer, but not exactly the same.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooth Horn wrote:

Get a custom 13B4a or 13C4a from Schilke factory , the deeper cup but same rim throat and bbore will give you a darker tone but will not change the total feel of the piece dramaticaly.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct answer: Kanstul's
exact copy of Arturo Sandoval's favorite Mount Vernon Bach 3C w/ Arturo's 24 drill / goldplated
My other mpc. is a Schilke 13A4 w/22 drill / goldplated. Stay away from Schilke's (a) backbore, it's too restrictive.
Contact Jim New @ 888-Kanstul
http://www.kanstul.net
cyber_shake
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solo soprano wrote:
The correct answer: Kanstul's
exact copy of Arturo Sandoval's favorite Mount Vernon Bach 3C w/ Arturo's 24 drill / goldplated
My other mpc. is a Schilke 13A4 w/22 drill / goldplated. Stay away from Schilke's (a) backbore, it's too restrictive.
Contact Jim New @ 888-Kanstul
http://www.kanstul.net

Jim's doing a custom piece for me right now ... cant wait to try it!

Schagerl LU5A
Getzen Genesis
Adams A4 LT-S
Adams F1
Schagerl PT-200S
Smooth Horn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working with Schilke. They are going to do a 13A4A mouthpiece but they are going to deepen the cup to a B depth. If I'm not satisfied with that they can then change the back bore to a B. I look forward to trying it.
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you hang onto your old horn if you get the Courtois... those horns are cool, but I don't know if you could be as versatile with one of them.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
Smooth Horn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How so?? Expound on the lack of versatility of the Courtois? Thanks..
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooth Horn wrote:
How so?? Expound on the lack of versatility of the Courtois? Thanks..

The horns I played at the chicago trumpet hang were halfway to flugelhorn. Great sound, but very distinctly non-trumpet-like. I know I would have a very difficult time blending in a section, on a legit or a jazz gig... and playing lead... forget it.

Smooth Horn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am playing solo jazz so I'll just give it a try and see how it goes. You're the first person I've heard from that didn't care for the horn, but we all are comfortable with different feels and horns. Thanks for your input!!
Smooth Horn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which models did you play in Chicago??
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a bunch of different models (5 or 6 I think), including the one with the huge heavy double bell. The page for the trumpet hang says the following horns were there, so it was these, probably:
Courteous Legend series 333 and 334 in Bb
Evolution 4 and an Evolution 3.

The double bell that I played is the one that looked like this:
[img]http://austinwinds.com/photos/Used/CourtoisEvoIII.jpg [/img]

The double bell was the darkest sounding, but the other ones weren't as far off as I expected. All very dark and smooth sounding.

Remember, I didn't say I didn't like it, just that I didn't feel it was versatile. they were actually some of my favorite horns I played at the Chicago Trumpet hang. There was one model... it was silver and had nearly no bracing at all... it was gorgeous, but still had that velvety dark half-way to flugel sound as the big double bell horn.
For what you are looking for, they would probably be fantastic... my whole point is: hang onto your current horn for versatility.

Smooth Horn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zach, I appreciate all your input. I don't think I could sell my Benge if I tried, too sentimental. The horn I am purchasing is the Evolution IV but not the double bell model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: