• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach C Trumpet 238 Bell, Leadpipe Preferences

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the 238 bell being talked about in several posts lately. I've heard nothing but great comments about this bell, but as positive as everyone is about it, you just don't see it much.

I was wondering. What do people find is the best leadpipe for this bell?

My understanding of the 238 bell is it traces its roots to the early Bach C rotary trumpet and eventually became known the Vindabona bell for C piston trumpets. Knowing it was common to pair the 238 bell with a 43 pipe (this was the standard combination during the Mt. Vernon days), do people still prefer this set-up (238/43C), or has the preference changed to another model of leadpipe?

Thanks,

David Miller
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lucky enough to own one of the Mt Vernon 238's that has been talked about.. It's the biggest blowing C I've played, about the only other horn I've played that I liked better was a Blackburn. The curious thing about my 238C is that it doesn’t "resonate" as much behind the bell as some horns I’ve played many people at first things its dead then they listen to some one play it & go WOW.. Or they listen to them selves a little closer & see that you just can’t hear it from behind the horn as well.. It's also the best in-tune C I’ve played.. Some notes are better on it than the Blackburns.. I would assume it has the 43C leadpipe you talked about.. Some people have speculated that it had a 25 H because its so free blowing but I can’t find any markings & I think the 25 H came Long after this horn was Build.. I need to email Bach & see if the Shop card is still in existence..

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-09-02 14:13, KevinInGeorgia wrote:
<snip> I need to email Bach & see if the Shop card is still in existence..

Thanks for the observations, Kevin. Very interesting.

Contacting Selmer for a copy of the shop card is an excellent idea. Would be interesting to see what pipe is on the horn.

Dave M
dannystone10
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a big, rich, warm sound on a C tpt, put a Lechner leadpipe on it!
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I special ordered my Bach C with a 238 bell. After having used a borrowed tuning bell C for about 4 years and liking it very much I looked into how it was put together. Found out the tuning bell conversion had been done by Dave Monette in the early years. It had a cut down 43 Bb leadpipe. I was never in love with the 239 bell that was on it however. It did play in tune though.

Several years ago I had purchased a Vindabona Bb with a 65 Gold brass bell and loved this horn. When ordering my new C I went with the Vindabona bell (238 for C trumpet) in Heavy Gold brass and the 25S leadpipe as this is elongated compared to the 25H. It is basically a Bb leadpipe cut down.

Great horn....open and free blowing, in tune, even tone across registers, good projection.

Love this horn...
Better than the tuning bell I was using and better than any C I have ever had or played.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: