• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Physical Fitness and Trumpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petere
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Physical Fitness and Trumpet Reply with quote

Last night when I was out climbing stairs outside, it struck me again that lung capacity, "wind" if you will, seems basic to trumpet playing. Some well known players are known to exercize regularly, I've heard for example that Marvin Stamm is a runner. But it also seems that a lot of older or overweight trumpeters play pretty well too. MF, bless his soul, comes to mind perhaps in this category. Has the forum discussed the importance of physical fitness much over the years? I don't recall a thread about this topic.
Besides basic emboucher development, what general fitness exercize routines do trumpeters advocate?
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qi-Gong helps. There's a book by Yang Jwing-Ming that is a great guide.
bigbandjazz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Physical Fitness and Trumpet Reply with quote

petere wrote:
Last night when I was out climbing stairs outside, it struck me again that lung capacity, "wind" if you will, seems basic to trumpet playing. Some well known players are known to exercize regularly, I've heard for example that Marvin Stamm is a runner. But it also seems that a lot of older or overweight trumpeters play pretty well too. MF, bless his soul, comes to mind perhaps in this category. Has the forum discussed the importance of physical fitness much over the years? I don't recall a thread about this topic.
Besides basic emboucher development, what general fitness exercize routines do trumpeters advocate?

Maynard, Bobby Shew, Randy Brecker and others gained weight later in life. Al Hirt and others were always on the heavy set side. It's better to be as fit as possible, obviously, but as trumpet players we all have a "zest" for the good things in life, including good food ! Exercise is definitely important, swimming is great for air and stamina, as well as most everything else.
petere
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'd ever heard of Qi-gong before. It looks like a helpful practice.
Yes, we do have a zest for the good things in life! I should swim more often, it is perhaps my best and favorite exercize other than the part where you get wet and cold.
bigbandjazz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petere wrote:
I don't think I'd ever heard of Qi-gong before. It looks like a helpful practice.
Yes, we do have a zest for the good things in life! I should swim more often, it is perhaps my best and favorite exercize other than the part where you get wet and cold.

The wet and cold part are easy to overcome. Swim in a heated pool full of dry water.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended a Boston Brass masterclass a few weeks ago and they stressed the importance of a relaxed posture and balance, which is more about coordination than fitness. When standing or sitting the correct way there is very little muscle tension in the body. The trombonist, Lance LaDuke, recommended the books of Barbara Conable on the Alexander Technique.

Kent
lmaraya
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing abs really help my high notes, NOT KIDDING!!
petere
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Alexander technique... now that's something that would help me...
coviman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My professor at Ithaca, Frank Campos, was really into Qi-Gong when I was there. There was always some sort of exercise that he was doing, and I definitely think the exercises helped.

On top of Alexander Technique, I also took a Feldenkrais for Musicians class that was also nice.
skishhhh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a student from middle school through 1st year music school, my teacher would comment almost every August that I had made recent improvements in my sound quality. We figured out that my improved sound quality was related to extensive swimming and waterskiing that I did during the summer months. I also noticed that a bouts with flu or upper respiratory illnesses would lead to prolonged degrading of sound quality; by the time my physical strength returned, so did my sound quality.

I'm convinced that fittness is an important factor in trumpet playing.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good physical fitness and good trumpet playing go hand in hand, and for more reasons than many realize. First off, it's been shown that spending a given amount of time doing cardiovascular exercise will do more to increase cognitive function than spending the same amount of time doing mental acuity exercises. Smarter trumpet players sightread and interpret music better.

On the physical side, the fact is, you don't need good aerobic fitness to play a double high C - as long as you don't need to play too many of them... Air Power (the ability to blow hard and generate lots of air pressure) is the main physical requirement to play a high note. The same can be said for lung capacity. Whether your lungs hold 8 liters of air, or perhaps just 2 (like that little girl who plays G above High C at the Monette factory), high notes can be developed.

But (and it's a big but): Being able to play a Double High C and having 3 bucks in your pocket will buy you a (small) cup of coffee at Starbucks - and that's about it. The main components of trumpet playing are sound, technique, power and endurance. At least 3 of those four components benefit greatly from being in good physical condition.

I know I'm always quoting my teacher, and forgive me but I'm going to do it again, because what he wrote and taught addresses this subject very well.

From page 8 of "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice":

Claude Gordon wrote:
I heartily recommend exercise such as boxers use, roadwork and all, to help develop your wind.

From page 10 of "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice":

Claude Gordon wrote:
Trumpet playing is a form of athletics. Keep yourself in good physical condition. Train like any athlete.

From page 13 of "Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing:

Claude Gordon wrote:
Brass playing is a form of athletics. This means that the player must train and coordinate like all athletes. That also means that if you are lazy, forget it.

From page 14 of "Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing (and my personal favorite on the subject):

Claude Gordon wrote:
The development of wind power, as in any athletic endeavor, is a major factor in playing your instrument easily. It stands to reason that if you have twice the wind development as your colleague, he is going to be working very hard to do what is easy for you.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your trumpet playing will improve with getting your whole life together -- mentally, spiritually, emotionally. financially, socially, as well as physically.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find my own playing is best when I'm putting in the daily time on the running path, 3-5 miles per day. I also find it puts my mind in a better frame as well, which cannot hurt when playing. I don't believe the running helps with efficiency in blowing but it does help with stamina and overall capacity as I work the breathing in with the running.
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Good physical fitness and good trumpet playing go hand in hand, and for more reasons than many realize. First off, it's been shown that spending a given amount of time doing cardiovascular exercise will do more to increase cognitive function than spending the same amount of time doing mental acuity exercises. Smarter trumpet players sightread and interpret music better.

On the physical side, the fact is, you don't need good aerobic fitness to play a double high C - as long as you don't need to play too many of them... Air Power (the ability to blow hard and generate lots of air pressure) is the main physical requirement to play a high note. The same can be said for lung capacity. Whether your lungs hold 8 liters of air, or perhaps just 2 (like that little girl who plays G above High C at the Monette factory), high notes can be developed.

But (and it's a big but): Being able to play a Double High C and having 3 bucks in your pocket will buy you a (small) cup of coffee at Starbucks - and that's about it. The main components of trumpet playing are sound, technique, power and endurance. At least 3 of those four components benefit greatly from being in good physical condition.

I know I'm always quoting my teacher, and forgive me but I'm going to do it again, because what he wrote and taught addresses this subject very well.

From page 8 of "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice":

Claude Gordon wrote:
I heartily recommend exercise such as boxers use, roadwork and all, to help develop your wind.

From page 10 of "Systematic Approach to Daily Practice":

Claude Gordon wrote:
Trumpet playing is a form of athletics. Keep yourself in good physical condition. Train like any athlete.

From page 13 of "Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing:

Claude Gordon wrote:
Brass playing is a form of athletics. This means that the player must train and coordinate like all athletes. That also means that if you are lazy, forget it.

From page 14 of "Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing (and my personal favorite on the subject):

Claude Gordon wrote:
The development of wind power, as in any athletic endeavor, is a major factor in playing your instrument easily. It stands to reason that if you have twice the wind development as your colleague, he is going to be working very hard to do what is easy for you.

Best wishes,

John Mohan

Fine post, John. Thanks!
Jim
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone mentioned Maynard, Bobby Shew and Randy Brecker and their weight gain in later years. Maynard was a shell of his former self as a player as his weight increased. I recall seeing Maynard in 2000-2001 at a local high school. I had not seen him since the late 80's. I didn't even recognize him when he walked onstage he had gained so much weight. He looked more like the character Mimi from Drew Carey. He had to climb a short flight of stairs to get to the stage as Blue Birdland was playing, as he finished his short solo he was visibly out of breath. When he took the mic to speak he huffing and puffing the whole time he spoke.
I haven't heard enough of Bobby Shew and Randy Brecker in recent years to comment on them.
Doc Severinsen is a perfect example of staying fit and still sounding great at 85.
Staying fit most definitely helped my playing. It stands to reason that the better you feel the better you play.
bigbandjazz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
Someone mentioned Maynard, Bobby Shew and Randy Brecker and their weight gain in later years. Maynard was a shell of his former self as a player as his weight increased. I recall seeing Maynard in 2000-2001 at a local high school. I had not seen him since the late 80's. I didn't even recognize him when he walked onstage he had gained so much weight. He looked more like the character Mimi from Drew Carey. He had to climb a short flight of stairs to get to the stage as Blue Birdland was playing, as he finished his short solo he was visibly out of breath. When he took the mic to speak he huffing and puffing the whole time he spoke.
I haven't heard enough of Bobby Shew and Randy Brecker in recent years to comment on them.
Doc Severinsen is a perfect example of staying fit and still sounding great at 85.
Staying fit most definitely helped my playing. It stands to reason that the better you feel the better you play.

Maynard had health issues with his liver and he had gout. These issues had allot to do with his weight gain and swelling of his feet. Foot pain from the gout also negatively impacted his ability to participate in a regular exercise regimen. His playing in later years was impacted more by his health issues and by age more than anything else. Doc does not play in that range and at those volumes for sustained periods of time (which is a good thing). God Bless Doc and Maynard (and all the legends) for their inspiration.
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard also had heart failure which is sometimes called heart asthma because the fluid build up around the heart and lungs causes a 24 hour a day shortness of breath.

I have heart failure also and talked to him about how he managed his travel. He said he disregarded his Drs orders 6 out of 7 days on tour just so he could continue to tour.

He made some real sacrifices to play music for people and deserves better than he is getting here.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
halfgreek12
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to a friend of mine who studied with Lou Soloff, Lou said "get in shape or get fat."
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5BX Plan mentioned here including a link to a pdf copy:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=101881
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, and contrary to what most people (including me) believe, my experience was that being in very good physical condition (runner, 50+ miles per week, marathons and also triathlons, so toss biking and swimming in there as well) made no perceptible difference in my playing. Which is not to say that everyone should not try to be fit, including my now-lots-fatter self. (JUST got off a stationary bike though, working on it).

I was surprised that conditioning did not make a lot of difference, but I think that my experience, for whatever reason, is not typical.

Brad361
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: