• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Zaja Oil!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
isler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone use this crap?? I used it on one of my horns and it made my valves feel like they had sand in them and also my horn smelled like POO.
Vziegler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using it for several years, and it works fine. I especially like the grapefruit aroma because it doesn't smell at all, so when I squirt it into the leadpipe (per Schilke instructions) the trumpet doesn't smell like a garage.

Valarie
Greencastle, IN
trump_it
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to completely clean all valves before applying Zaja. Zaja is a different type of oil, and combining it with any other type will cause the valves to freeze up. Clean your valves, reapply the Zaja and report back to us!
pastbrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the pros I work with have been using Zaja for some time and love it. You must start with clean valves as Trump_it suggests as it dosen't mix well with other oils. I use it on some of my vintage and even antique horns and find that it works great. Try using a scent other than poo and you might be very pleased. Lemon is one of the least stinky but the French Vanilla will have the rest of the section wondering about you.
It really is good oil,
Scott
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way that it lubricates just fine, but I'm not too crazy about how it smells. I really thought that I'd like the vanilla scent too, but it about sickens me and anyone else that is close enough to smell it.

Before you write off Zaja oil completely, try the Zaja Pro oil. It's a little thinner, (I think it's blue) and it is scent free. I've heard nothing but good about that.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
isler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the POO scented really sucks I think I will just go back to Al Cass Rocket oil. Its too bad they don't make ****** scented oil I would practice all day!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Moderators on 2003-09-18 14:19 ]
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Zaja Blue which has no smell. I got onto it from Brass Bow, (It's what they use) about a year ago and have been using it ever since. I used Al Cass before.

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
jharris2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got some Zaja Blue after having had some work done by the Brass Bow. I've been using Holton since the beginning of time, and was getting ready to switch to ultra-pure lamp oil (it's cheap and works well). Forget that plan -- Zaja Blue changed my mind in a heartbeat.

2014 Flip Oakes Wild Thing flugelhorn (copper bell)
2014 Flip Oakes Celebration trumpet
2005 Flip Oakes Wild Thing trumpet
2002 Flip Oakes Wild Thing short cornet
1976 Getzen Eterna Severinsen trumpet
1951 Olds Ambassador cornet
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sort of whatever works for you on the scent. Vanilla is the only one I really don't like and the oil works better than anything else I have ever used. For a compulsive oiler like myself, it is great.

Mike
_FELIX C
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEAR FRIENDS;
IM USING ZAJA WATERMELLON IN MY BENGE 3X+ AND NOTE THAT SPEED OF VALVE GETS SLOWER. AFTER A VERY LONG TIME I RETURNED TO HOLTON (CLEAR) VALVE OIL AND THE SPEED OF VALVES IMPROVED. THE PROBLEM WITH HOLTON IS THAT AFTER SOME DAYS THE ODOR IS NOT THE BEST. THEN I APPLY 2 OR 3 DROPS OF ZAJA IN EVERY VALVE AND INSIDE THE LEAD PIPE. MIXING THEM IN THIS MANNER THE VALVES RUNS WELL AND THE ODOR IS GOOD. I HOPE THIS HELP. THANKS
Benge 3X+
Benge 3 Flugelhorn
Schilke 14F4
I use my Personal Blend of Valve Oil
trumpet112002
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Mullberry"
Bach Strad 43-43
Olds Ambassador Cornet 1.5 vc curry
Adamson 1 1/2C
Curry 3Z.. 2008
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it smells like POO - I would recommend getting hold of the Lime flavour - smells like toilet cleaner!!
The chocolate was quite pleasant, but it made me hungry.
I like the oil a lot, but you do get some funny looks from the rest of the section when your instruments start smelling like various perfumes.
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i'm the only person who uses Alisyn?
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those berry fragrances are all that I order. They are not too bad and really do help freshen up those musty old cases. To each his own on using scented vs unscented, but the oil works really well for me or I would not use it, anyway.

Mike
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had horrible luck with this stuff on my Xeno. I've never paid much attention to valve oil brand. More often than not I've used Al Cass because it was widely available. I've also used 5 Starr because it's recommended by Monette (I play Monette and non-Monette horns). Well, a few months ago I was running low on oil and decided to try the Zaja Pro stuff since I was in a well stocked brass specialty place. It was fine for a little while and then I started having a valve sticking problem with my 3rd valve (which eventually spread to all of the valves to a lesser degree). I started oiling more often and it seemed to help a little but the valve was still getting worse. After blowing a solo moment in a concert because of the darn valve sticking I decided to clean out the horn and start over. Things seemed immediately better with only a little sticking, but within a week it was back to it's horrible self. Just as I was getting ready to have my valves serviced by a repair shop (that was after I decided that my plan to throw the horn in the dumpster might be a little rash and ill-conceived), I decided to try the 5 Starr again. *Poof* Problem solved and valves back to normal. The Zaja stuff without a doubt was the problem. This is on an 18-month old Xeno trumpet. That's the last time I experiment with valve oils!

Rich
Skip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the floculated material that precipitates out in the Zaja Blue after sitting in the case for a while? I can't imagine it being good for the valves; it must do the same there. Thanks.
Buzz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egad... the stuff ya have to wade through to state your opinion... I am a valve oil addict, and I have no problem with Zaja oil. I think it is MUCH better than Al Cass. In my experience, problems happen when you change oils without cleaning your horn. Also... never mix petroleum based products with synthetic. In other words, I'd never follow Aly-Syn oil with Zaja... or the reverse. Watermelon Zaja is my favorite. I also like the cherry slide lube. DON'T GET THEM CONFUSED!
Meg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: