• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Finger Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazz9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Finger Issues Reply with quote

There is a relatively similar thread going on about the pinky finger on this forum, but I wanted to ask something a little more general in terms of an issue I've been unknowingly developing, probably over a long period of time.

My fingers, the ones that press down the valves, have progressively begun to creep toward me, at an angle. The picture gives you sort of an idea, although a bit exaggerated. (It's difficult to take a picture with one hand and capture the issue happening naturally with the other) The first finger now naturally presses down first valve like this. I've noticed today that, if I try to bring my fingers back to normal positioning, my dexterity goes down the drain.

So then, has anyone experienced similar issues and can provide some insight in attempting to fix this? Thanks!

PS: Please let me know if the image doesn't work. I never tried to add an image to a post like this. It should be easier than it actually is.

Ty Sheets [img]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201199891023834&set=a.3158316081309.2158126.1367483322&type=1&theater[/img]
jazz9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo did not work. Not sure how to get it to show up with the vague instruction above...
lh
Claude Gordon Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open a photobucket account. Upload your photo. Copy IMG code of photo and paste into the text of your post. Voila!
Selmer Paris model 59 Piccolo 1977
Conn New Invention Cornet 1913
jazz9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y442/jazztrumpet9/photo_zps5984558b.jpg
jazz9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that worked? Thanks for your help.
lh
Claude Gordon Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many ways to approach this... this is how I would recommend you do it.

I think thumb placement is important. With the photo you attached, I would place the tip of your thumb between the 1st and second valves, and rest your pinky on top of the hook. I normally would place my thumb differently, but this placement will prevent your hand from shifting toward you, and the pinky placement will keep your hand spread out a little. I would also recommend playing such that the pads of your fingers strike the valve buttons. Keep your hand as relaxed as possible, and practice finger technique very slowly.

Good luck!
Selmer Paris model 59 Piccolo 1977
Conn New Invention Cornet 1913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: