• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

just curious about my horn specs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elgatoerudito

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a couple of years ago I bought a used Yamaha 6345 HGS that had been gold-plated and had a bob reeves valve alignment for $1000 from a pro trumpet player who had been using it for both jazz and classical work. even though I'm sure it's the horn I'll be using forever, I'm just curious about how its specs will affect it, such as what things will be easier and harder on it and what kind of tone it will tend to produce.
it's heavyweight, has a gold brass bell, it's gold-plated as I already mentioned, and I was told it has a large bore but I think I read somewhere it is actually medium-large...not quite sure about that though. right now I use it with a Bach 1C but may get a lead jazz mouthpiece in a couple of months depending on how my new embouchure turns out.
most of my playing from now on now that I'm out of high school will probably be in the jazz and big band genres, excluding of course songs that are in method books such as the arban book. when I get my range up I'll probably spend most of the time above the staff since music that has trumpet players screaming way above the staff has the most pull for me.
if it turns out this is a difficult horn for jazz and big band I will of course just have to work harder to make it work as that kind of horn but I'm curious what people who know what they're talking about think.
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm no expert but the 6345 is a large bore (462 I think) the 6335 was the medium large (459 I think). Your trumpet has a gold brass bell, 'G' in the model number and is heavyweight ('H' in the model number) but was originally silver ('S'). The lead player I play with has got a 6335 HS and he wails on it!!! Your horn maybe a little more mellow due to the gold brass bell but not a lot. If lead attracts you then changing the mouthpiece is definitely a good idea. I'm sure some of the guys here will point you in the right direction in that regard!

Have fun

Regards

Trevor

[ This Message was edited by: camelbrass on 2003-09-05 06:39 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: