• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Beautiful Shot of Red Rodney with a Reinhardt Mouthpiece

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This goes to what Chris was saying about gigs with Ira.

At ITG 2009, the last night's jazz jam/concert was to feature Ira Sullivan. I had gone to the jams all of the previous nights, and when I got there the pianist asked me if I wanted to start out playing the gig since Ira was late (he wasn't there). Well, I played a couple tunes with the rhythm section and after I blew on the second tune there was suddenly a tenor player blowing a solo after me. It was Ira.

I tried to get off the stage after that tune but he insisted that I stay up there and blow on the next tune. Well, he started playing The Way You Look Tonight pretty bright and I figured that'd be okay. Not having perfect pitch, I didn't realize he had called it in F which threw me. In fact, Arturo Sandoval was in the audience and I had gone to ask him to come and play so I could sit down and listen.

Well, my confidence was kind of shaken a little but we finished that tune. Then I was trying to leave the stage again and Ira insisted that I stay there, and he called Lush Life. The pianist and the bassist had fake books, but I knew I was in trouble. After I butchered some of that I went (with my tail between my legs) and sat as far away from the stage as I could hoping not to have to go back up there and be further humiliated.

But Ira didn't seem to think it was a big deal when I went up to thank him for letting me play with him the first couple tunes. You know that he got a kick out of spanking me like that.

bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Rich, you met our Ira!

Seems we started out talking about Red's Reinhardt mouthpiece, but since we're now discussing Ira.....

About 25 years ago, Ira and I were playing at a club in Chicago. There was another trumpeter in town, maybe somewhere in between Ira's and my generation in age, who was a pretty headstrong guy, and showed up that night.

Without asking or being invited, he took out his trumpet while we were on a break between tunes and just walked onto the stage, high-fiving everyone. Ira didn't visually or verbally let on that this was COMPLETELY inappropriate behavior. He just welcomed the guy, and called "Cherokee." Just before the count-off, he turned to the rhythm section and said "In A".

During the head, this other guy was trying to figure out why his horn was suddenly so sharp. He kept pulling his tuning slide out until somewhere near the end of the bridge it was out about 2 inches and he was finally in tune.

Ira played a smoking solo, and then I struggled through a few choruses. Just before this other guy was going to come in and dazzle us with his expertise, Ira again turned to the rhythm section and said "Go to A Flat!"

This is the old school.
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Ira BABY!!!!

Rich......"The Way You Look" is usually sung in concert Eb (that's the key I sing it in and most other male singers). But Ira has ALWAYS played it in concert F which I think would be a little easier for blowing because the bridge would go to trumpet Bb instead of Ab.

One time I was playing with Ira and he decided to play Cherokee in EVERY KEY modulating up in half steps after every chorus. Lucky for me this was a time in my life were I was constantly playing that Abersold that runs Cherokee in all the keys, so I was pretty fluent in B and F#. I think he may have gotten the idea to do that because of the Abersold CD. One key that I never really cared for and I don't know why is Ab. I'd much rather play rhythm changes in B than in Ab.......funny huh???

I honestly believe that the most important thing in playing jazz is to be fluent in all the tough keys. I think some of Ira's genius stems from that fact that keys just don't matter to him.......If you say "Honeysuckle" in F or F# it means nothing to Ira. I think that's just the way he learned. He just picked up al these different horns and PLAYED never bothering to figure out what key he was in. I've been around him enough and I'm sure Brad will second this....keys mean nothing to Ira, its all just music to him.

Looks like Brad and I both have battle scars from Ira. I'm sure Brad will tell you its an honor that Ira would care enough to give to young guys a good spanking on a bandstand. Remember that this is a man who has played with every big name in the jazz world, including Bird, Clifford and Fats. I'm sure those guys did the very same thing to him when he was young. They let him "earn his stripes" and in turn hes let Brad and I earn ours in the old school way.......

Chris

Last edited by Mr.Hollywood on Wed May 08, 2013 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Hollywood wrote:

Ira is one heavy motherfu**er. He was with Blakey and the Jazz Messengers, he played with Bird, Clifford.......everybody. Hes the real deal. One of the last left of that generation.
Chris LaBarbera

Amen!!!!!!!
Ira is beyond category. Love that guy!
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
revmklyons

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thread has been like reading a novel. You guys are awesome. Thanks for the entertaining stories.
Keith
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bg wrote:

Without asking or being invited, he took out his trumpet while we were on a break between tunes and just walked onto the stage, high-fiving everyone. Ira didn't visually or verbally let on that this was COMPLETELY inappropriate behavior. He just welcomed the guy, and called "Cherokee." Just before the count-off, he turned to the rhythm section and said "In A".

During the head, this other guy was trying to figure out why his horn was suddenly so sharp. He kept pulling his tuning slide out until somewhere near the end of the bridge it was out about 2 inches and he was finally in tune.

Ira played a smoking solo, and then I struggled through a few choruses. Just before this other guy was going to come in and dazzle us with his expertise, Ira again turned to the rhythm section and said "Go to A Flat!"

This is the old school.

In the Lee Morgan book by Tom Perchard, there is an almost identical story about Sonny Stitt doing the same thing to Lee.

Here it is:

oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if that is the original story. Bill Cosby tells a story about playing drums with Sonny Stitt on the Dick Cavett show.

Link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: