• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1957 still a good year for Martin Committee? Possible trade.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: 1957 still a good year for Martin Committee? Possible trade. Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been offered something that may turn into an interesting deal.

I own a 1525 Kanstul flugelhorn and a collector who owns a ML 1957 Martin Committee is offering me a trade. I payed $2,000 for the Kanstul back in 2008. I offered to add a few hundred bucks as this guy is asking roughly $2,200 for his Martin.

1- What are the odds of this still being a great horn, considering the 1957 year?
2- If there are no problems with the horn, would you say this could be a good deal?
3- What possible flaws should I look for while examining the Martin?

Thank you.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite honestly I would tell you to not drink the Kool-Aid but that's a lost cause.

The horn could be wonderful or it could be crap. There's no way to know. It could look brand-new on the outside and the valves could be worn out. You're talking about some serious money so find a way to play the heck out of it ahead of time and also to get an inspection by your local technician.

Can't do that? Walk away.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
Quite honestly I would tell you to not drink the Kool-Aid but that's a lost cause.

The horn could be wonderful or it could be crap. There's no way to know. It could look brand-new on the outside and the valves could be worn out. You're talking about some serious money so find a way to play the heck out of it ahead of time and also to get an inspection by your local technician.

Can't do that? Walk away.

Tom

Hey Tom! Nice to hear from you.
I will visit this person in about 10 days and will spend the evening at his place playing the horn. I'm just not sure what to expect regarding this "late" serial number... If the horn has no problems, is it sill potentially a good Committee?
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:
I'm just not sure what to expect regarding this "late" serial number... If the horn has no problems, is it sill potentially a good Committee?

Since you're going to play it... why do you care?

I swear, the Kool-Aid is strong with this. If it's a "good" Committee and it plays poorly for you, are you still going to buy it?

Seriously?

It's a horn. You're going to play it. Either it plays well for you or it doesn't. 1957 implies it's "desirable". Please please just play it and walk away if you don't like it.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 still a good year for Martin Committee? Possible tr Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:

1- What are the odds of this still being a great horn, considering the 1957 year?
2- If there are no problems with the horn, would you say this could be a good deal?
3- What possible flaws should I look for while examining the Martin?

1) Play the horn first. If it sounds and plays like a good horn, then it's a good horn. I've got a Selmer Bundy Cornet I paid $100 dollars for that sounds wonderful. Sometimes you find a gem, sometimes you find a lemon. As far as I know however, that age still falls into the "desired" age. Martin was merged into RMC in 1961, I think, and I think pre-RMC is the most "desirable." I wouldn't know, because I haven't played any from that era.

2) Do you have another flugelhorn? You need a flugel. You don't necessarily need a second trumpet. Do you use your flugel often? Are you particularly attached to it? Good flugels can be had new around $2500, and used ones for less. This sounds like a decision for you to make. If you are a serious enough trumpet player to invest in a Martin, you are probably a serious enough trumpet player to need a flugelhorn.

3) Check out your notes in the 4th/5th partial with an electronic tuner. Make sure you can play in tune up there without significant bending. If you require alternate fingerings, make sure you can play those in tune without much effort. Lots of Martins get weird in that register. Also, bring a friend who is a good trumpet player with a good ear... have them help you blind A/B the horn... the Martin hype introduces a lot of subconscious bias when listening.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
abundrefo wrote:
I'm just not sure what to expect regarding this "late" serial number... If the horn has no problems, is it sill potentially a good Committee?

Since you're going to play it... why do you care?

I swear, the Kool-Aid is strong with this. If it's a "good" Committee and it plays poorly for you, are you still going to buy it?

Seriously?

It's a horn. You're going to play it. Either it plays well for you or it doesn't. 1957 implies it's "desirable". Please please just play it and walk away if you don't like it.

Tom

Tom, thank you for your advise.

Some of my questions are here just because I could easily be offered something with the Committee name that could also be something one who really knows the differences between various serial number "eras" would not bother looking at.

I will try the horn, that's right, but info like this will help me guide my perception when both playing and examining the horn. That leads us to question number 3.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:

I will try the horn, that's right, but info like this will help me guide my perception when both playing and examining the horn. That leads us to question number 3.

You know how well your Aristocrat plays in tune. That Committee should as well; intonation opinions depend on what you learned on, and so forth.

I trust you know what you're looking for when you play-test it since you have spent a lot of time testing your other Martin horn.

Do let us know how it works out?

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abundrefo,
Here's my checklist for a Martin:

A. Open series notes, our C, G, C. Are they comfortably in tune? G above the staff, does it play sharp?

B. Ab on the staff, is it low?

C. Does the horn feel "easy" to play, fleet, you can get around quickly?

If all those check out, it's a possible winner. Some Martins aren't worth bothering with, the year 1957 isn't very important either.
https://yourbrass.com/
Hugh Anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look carefully at the valves. A new plating job is seriously expensive. (Lesson learned the hard way).
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned 4 Martin Committee horns from the mid 40's. I have played about 5 from the fifties. In my opinion, the fifties horns are not nearly as good in intonation or quality of timbre as the 40's horns.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with martins from the 50s here is what you look for...
1) the middle G in the staff can be sharp. Thats weird, and can be hard to get used to, and not all them are that way. its really hard to get ironed out too. Alignment doesn't do it, or any of the other things like inserts, etc. I think it a product of a distorted bell tail. Lots of them are oval shaped or have had dents removed, or have dents there.
2) If the Ab is flat, its because the 3rd slide is cut long. That is a feature, not a problem. At a certain point they cut the slide shorter. Serial numbers in the 40s and early 50's have the long slide. I had an RMC martin that the serial number said should be late 50s, and it had the shorter slide. I know that does not add up, but i know that number 155XXX had a shorter slide, and 135XXX had the longer slide. Its fairly easy to shorten the slide. I do it on all my 22B conns that have the longer slide.
3) High B natural can be flat, and so to too the middle B. The second slide needs to be tight. Easy fix usually
4) Burbley low register when playing fast notes. Middle register too. Caused by tension in the braces or body. Hart to fix, but adding a brace helps.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
with martins from the 50s here is what you look for...
1) the middle G in the staff can be sharp. Thats weird, and can be hard to get used to, and not all them are that way. its really hard to get ironed out too. Alignment doesn't do it, or any of the other things like inserts, etc. I think it a product of a distorted bell tail. Lots of them are oval shaped or have had dents removed, or have dents there.
2) If the Ab is flat, its because the 3rd slide is cut long. That is a feature, not a problem. At a certain point they cut the slide shorter. Serial numbers in the 40s and early 50's have the long slide. I had an RMC martin that the serial number said should be late 50s, and it had the shorter slide. I know that does not add up, but i know that number 155XXX had a shorter slide, and 135XXX had the longer slide. Its fairly easy to shorten the slide. I do it on all my 22B conns that have the longer slide.
3) High B natural can be flat, and so to too the middle B. The second slide needs to be tight. Easy fix usually
4) Burbley low register when playing fast notes. Middle register too. Caused by tension in the braces or body. Hart to fix, but adding a brace helps.

Awesome.. I'll check that...
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, you could buy a brand new Schilke Handcraft.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could buy a brand new Adams A9. Just played my #3 bore with a new ACB 3C-FX deep hybrid piece. What an outstanding combination. It's like trumpet nirvana. Trent's a genius.

Muito Obrigado!
1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plankowner110 wrote:
Or, you could buy a brand new Schilke Handcraft.

scipioap wrote:
Or you could buy a brand new Adams A9. Just played my #3 bore with a new ACB 3C-FX deep hybrid piece. What an outstanding combination. It's like trumpet nirvana. Trent's a genius.

Muito Obrigado!

These two trumpets certainly would be my first choices. But, I can only consider a trade in right now. In my case, this guy really needs a flugel, considering he owns other two Martin Committees. One of them is a HC...

scipioap, Trent is really a magnificent guy!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a comeback player, currently mediocre but formerly not bad.

I had my '56 Committee in the shop for a minor repair and when I got it back, the brass repairman said he loved the horn, not only as a combo horn, but as a lead horn, as well. Don't trust me, but you can trust him.

FWIW, I got it from a guy in Austria for around €800.00 ten years ago. The horn was/is in perfect playing condition, and cosmetically it's just fine.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...

This story headed to the most unexpected and exciting outcome.

I contacted the seller and checked some pictures of his 1957 Committee and it seems the lead pipe was bent a bit, in a strange "wavy" way. This really affected a great part of my curiosity.

Meanwhile, I visited a friend who collects horns and he offered me his 1951 Olds Recording for my flugel. WOW!!! What a great horn!

I didn't play my flugel this much and I really have a sweet tooth for old horns, so this made me so very happy!

Serial is 638XXX, with (what seems to be) a nickel-silver lead pipe and a rose (red-ish) bell... Re-O-Loy bell???? So, is this right? Is it a 1951 horn? Anyway...

Apart from a few dings along the bell tube, it is in great shape. The original lacker is about 85% good. Compression is pretty good! ...and the tone is amazing! I tried it with a few of my favorite mouthpieces and it sounded particularly good with my Curry 3TC. It is the best match ever for my 1-28 Al Cass as well...

I did try a few other Martin Committees at Dillon in 2011 and a couple of late serial Martins at J. Landress' shop. By that time, I didn't get along with the loose slotting feeling and funky response of those particular horns. Nothing wrong with the horns I guess, specially with the ones I tried at Josh's shop. Actually I liked some of his Conn horns a lot better...

But this Olds Recording sort of gives me the best of both worlds!

Thanks for all the advice, guys!
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the OP has made a decision, but here's my 2-cents, even though it's maybe a day late.

For me, buying a Committee might be like buying a house. Of course, I want a house that I personally like. But I also want a house that others would like, in case I want to sell it someday.

So an important aspect of the OP's original question is what other's think of 1957 Committee in general, to assess whether it would have any resale value in the future. In other words, are Committees from the late 50's as valuable as the earlier models?

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a related question. Here's a 1956 Deluxe Committee being auctioned which the seller is touting as a Large (.468") Bore. Consequently, the bid has initially skyrocketed. But it's missing the '3' engraved above the serial number. Is it possible Martin made Large Bore Committees without the 3?

Vintage Martin Deluxe Committee Ex Large Bore Trumpet w Holton Heim 2 Mouthpiece | eBay

1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
It sounds like the OP has made a decision, but here's my 2-cents, even though it's maybe a day late.

For me, buying a Committee might be like buying a house. Of course, I want a house that I personally like. But I also want a house that others would like, in case I want to sell it someday.

So an important aspect of the OP's original question is what other's think of 1957 Committee in general, to assess whether it would have any resale value in the future. In other words, are Committees from the late 50's as valuable as the earlier models?

Mike

Martins are a crapshoot, get a good one, it's worth every penny. Then there are the others...

BTW, Abundrefo, 638xxx on an Olds is probably 1960's vintage, early 50's were below 100K, others have more exact data.
https://yourbrass.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: