• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Fate Motif Routine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwilson46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: The Fate Motif Routine Reply with quote

I was looking over some old Reinhardt material and found a paper titled:

"Studies to Cover the Basics of the Pivot System" (It is in PDF format and I don't know how to convert it to text and paste here)

There are eight areas of study: Embouchure, Flexibility, Response, Sound, Compression, Tonguing, High Register Control, and Endurance. Each of these eight areas lists daily routines, such as: Buzzing, Track Routine, Putty Ball Routine, etc. There are no instructions regarding the various routines and is presumed that I should know them....which I do except for: "The Fate Motif Routine-as presented during your lesson period. REST PLENTY-THIS IS VERY STRENUOUS".

I have no recollection of it. Does anyone know what this routine is?

Thanks, John
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc had two handout pages titled "Breathing Basics" and you'll see the Fate Motif as part of those. If you don't have them, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a PDF.
Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
Doc had two handout pages titled "Breathing Basics" and you'll see the Fate Motif as part of those. If you don't have them, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a PDF.

Rich, John,

I'd love to see both of these as well.

A little over two years into the Reinhardt routines-

I cannot tell you how many times the "basics" have saved my butt on a gig:)

mc
jwilson46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

I know what you're talking about regarding the breathing basics. I just couldn't remember what "Fate Motif" meant.

Thanks, John
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:

Rich,
Send me this as well. I don't remember the Fate Motif being part of Breathing Basics. I have 2 full pages of Breathing Basics that has the Timed Breathing, the Timed Breathing Pyramid and the Physical Slump.

Thanks. Dave
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airdyn wrote:
BeboppinFool wrote:

Rich,
Send me this as well. I don't remember the Fate Motif being part of Breathing Basics. I have 2 full pages of Breathing Basics that has the Timed Breathing, the Timed Breathing Pyramid and the Physical Slump.

Thanks. Dave

My mistake. I was rushing out of the house when I posted that. The Pyramid and the Timed Breathing use the New World Symphony excerpt. But I seem to vaguely recall that the fate motif was (in 4/4 time) a dotted half note G followed by a quarter note F# followed by a whole note A.

I'm not at home right now but I'll try to look through my Reinhardt binder tomorrow when I have a minute to come up for air.
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
airdyn wrote:
BeboppinFool wrote:

Rich,

Thanks. Dave

My mistake. I was rushing out of the house when I posted that. The Pyramid and the Timed Breathing use the New World Symphony excerpt. But I seem to vaguely recall that the fate motif was (in 4/4 time) a dotted half note G followed by a quarter note F# followed by a whole note A.

I'm not at home right now but I'll try to look through my Reinhardt binder tomorrow when I have a minute to come up for air.

Rich,
I just sent John the Fate Motif exercise. I can send it to you if you like. I think it's based on one of Beethoven's "snippets" of motifs he used in one of his symphonies.
Dave
Dave
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airdyn wrote:
BeboppinFool wrote:
airdyn wrote:
BeboppinFool wrote:

Rich,

Thanks. Dave

Rich,
I just sent John the Fate Motif exercise. I can send it to you if you like. I think it's based on one of Beethoven's "snippets" of motifs he used in one of his symphonies.
Dave
Dave

I was thinking Lizst, but we have seen how reliable my memory is.

Gate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, Rich, et al.,

Can anyone share the breathing basics or fate motif with me as well? I'm currently trying to squash the overbreathing evil. Thanks in advance.
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Routines Reply with quote

Gate wrote:
Dave, Rich, et al.,

Can anyone share the breathing basics or fate motif with me as well? I'm currently trying to squash the overbreathing evil. Thanks in advance.

Sent. Let Scottie help you with these.
Dave S.
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a Reinhardtite but jeez, Fate Motif Routine sound fascinating. Could someone tell be what its about?
jazzbebop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested as well. Is there any way you could put the PDF files of these in a format so we can download them ? Either on a website or however else it can be done ? If not, can you send them to me via a PM or email ? Sounds like very helpful material and it would be great to have it in the practice room ! PM me if you can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: