• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

MP for open horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dustin Lee Wilson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a new horn..a besson meha made in the early 80's..its alot freer blowing than the eterna 700s ive been playing on. Now ive read that you want to keep a tight playing mouthpiece on a free bowing horn..or opposite for a tight horn..is this basically true? ive played the MF2 from monette (on the eterna...a tight horn)and love it..very comfy..but it blows free...if i combined thi with the besson meha..would the setup be to open? Im sure volume would be great..but at what costs..range?endurance?

thanks for any replies...

dustin
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I may be responsible for part of your statement about "tight mp on open horns and open mp on tight horns" let me point out that while several players on this post - my self included - have that experience it does not mean that that is the best approach for you. Some players are using big open mpcs on WTs and getting great results. A great place to start would be to go to a store with a wide selectionWarburton,DiOrio, or Kanstul tops and backbores. I think the Warburton site has some suggestions for trying to find a good mpc combination. Your goal should be the sound you want with good intonation in your usable playing range. When you find a pretty good set up with a top/backbore set it then becomes easier if you want custom work done or if you are just posting your needs on this site.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Like Andy said, usually people want to "add" a bit more resistance back into the set up (via the mouthpiece design) when playing really free blowing horns . . . and using a less resistant mouthpiece in a tight blowing horn like a Z horn. (However, personal preferences do vary--these are simply the "usual" solutions)

Resistance is necessary for proper function on a horn yet I've discovered the combination of a tighter mouthpiece/freer horn "feels" and performs so much better for me!

Most horns, and most mouthpieces are designed to be "middle of the road" in resistance charecteristics, thus they work acceptably well together for the masses of players. It is simply a "numbers" game.

As applied to mouthpieces, this "middle of the road" blow is engineered into most production pieces. I love Warburton's concept of providing a vast number of different backbore combinations to "dial in" the absolute perfect resistance for the specific player AND specific horn! I use DIFFERENT Warburton backbores on my different trumpets and cornets to dial that horn in to how I like it to blow!

OTHER COMPANIES
Most top companies can provide you, on special order, a mouthpiece with the blow charecteristics you desire.

I'm waiting to have GR measure a special rimmed mouthpiece and then have them design a mouthpiece around that rim that is perfect for the blow charecteristics and unique accoustical charecteristics of my Wild Thing trumpet. GR has already done the measurements to determine the differences for the "perfect" Wild Thing mouthpiece for Bruce Lee. Working with my friend Bruce, I can't wait to have the awesome technical perfection of the GR pieces mated to my WT!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So personal: How one's mpc works with your horn. True, a general generic rule is open horn/tight mpc or flipped. However, Flip Oakes himself plays a cavernous rain barrel mpc with his open WT. Lotsa famous tooters play tight with tight, a la some of Satchel Mouth's years.
Find what you like...your sound. Get the opinions of folks you trust. Try to test in your normal environment (club, symphony hall....).

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
trumpetmagic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-16 11:42, Andy Cooper wrote:
.....Some players are using big open mpcs on WTs and getting great results. .....When you find a pretty good set up with a top/backbore set it then becomes easier ......

I have mentioned on another thread that I am working on WT cornet and Monette B1-1 (Deep Vee Flumpet) cornet mouthpiece with a huge throat (#16 or bigger).

I love the sounds of the horn/mp combination. But I am thinking about getting a bit tighter MP while keeping the cornet sounds because of my limited stamina.

Ken

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetmagic on 2002-02-16 22:35 ]

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetmagic on 2002-02-16 22:36 ]
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, I tried a MFII on my .464 Callet SC, and it was plenty tight. But whatever works!

ChopsMcgraw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: