• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Many mouthpieces or few? Gold-plated or Silver?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
livertwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the option to buy some gold-plated mouthpieces in sets. One such set includes Bachs 1 1/2C, 3C, 5C, 7C and a Bach 7C cornet piece. What are your thoughts? I currently play on a Yamaha 11B4 and would like to find an all-around piece that gives me a little more openness in the upper register. I currently also own a Bach (silver) 5C that I find very comfortable, but I'm out of tune when I play anything over a middle D. I have several others as well, but I'll be selling them cheap on eBay since they aren't really in good condition and I wouldn't play. I've heard a lot about Schilke and GR pieces and would like your opinions.

Should I buy the set (it's internet, so I can't try first) and settle on the one I like the best and sell the rest? Should I bother with gold-plated? (looks make no difference to me) Or should I just go around to the stores in town and pay premium for the piece that I like the best? (they have some Bob Reeves, Yamaha, Back, Jet-Tone, ....)

Thanks,

Oliver
slip0106
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pretty much answered your own question.

Go try the mpc's out @ your local store. My personal recommedation would be to look at the Reeves mpc's and Stork if they're availbe to try.

Then again if you're a gambler, buy the set ... but you can always find the models you mentioned. they're very common.

Regards
rjzeller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing Gold gets you is a softer fit and slightly less grip. Mine usually feels warmer, too, but I think maybe that's just a result of having the softer feel.

Be warned...if you play a lot of high notes, the gold may not be right since it has less grip than silver. That can cause some problems. I had a few issues when I first got mine...though for me at least that was a help - eliminated some pressing I was doing and improved my range over the long run (but that's really a tangent...99% of the time it wouldn't really matter).

As for brands...if you want something good for all-around playing you might also want to try a Marcinkiewicz. Even their pro-line concert hall mouthpieces have a pretty solid upper register.
I've also really liked the Shilke's and Yamaha's for all around playing. I never did like Bach or Jet Tone...Bach's have too sharp a bit, and Jet Tone is just too tight. My 2 cents....In the end though...find whatever plays and feels the best (regardless of how high they let/help you go).
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sets only make sense to me if your a teacher. If your just a player, you'll end up with a bunch of mouthpieces you'll never use.

I've gone through Bach, Schilke, Reeves and a couple of other brands. I found that GR had the best balance for me and helped me play more efficiently, with better tuning and higher range from the same effort. Speak with Brian Schriver to find the best fit for you and to make sure there are no special issues with your horn.

I prefer gold, but mainly for cosmetic reasons. It seems slightly smoother on my lips, but it's also more slippery. I think that slipperyness makes me play with less pressure, so it's actually an advantage, in my case.

Dave
Tom K.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold does FEEL different. I like the softness and warmth of it. But if you don't care for the 5C already in the upper register, why get another? I would definitely check out the Reeves mouthpieces. They are very comfortable rims (but quite expensive now).
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am missing something in this topic, but my question would be why would you want to buy a set of mouthpieces of all different sizes? And why would it matter if they were gold - unless it has something to do with skin allergies, etc?

I think that the traditional silver plated mouthpiece is just fine. Never did understand the gold mouthpiece thing - except for a possible aesthetic preference - you know a gold mouthpiece in a gold or lacquer horn...

But, why would you want a bunch of different size mouthpieces, especially as it relates to one's own personal playing?
livertwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses. In answer to the most recent question - that's just how they were being sold, and they were at a good price. Plus, since I need to find the right piece for me anyway, I was thinking that I'd stick with the one that felt the best and re-sell the rest. On the other hand, I'd heard of quite a few players who liked a couple different pieces, depending on what they were playing. I was just wondering if this is a better approach, seeing as how up here in Canada, it's hard enough to find a wide selection of decent mouthpieces, let alone ones that are reasonably priced.

Oliver
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-09-11 18:18, DaveH wrote:
And why would it matter if they were gold - unless it has something to do with skin allergies, etc?

Gold feels different from silver. Some will prefer the feel of gold, some will not. Also, gold looks different from silver. Some will prefer the look of gold, some will not.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: