• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

University of North Alabama?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone had any experiance w/ this school in Florance AL?... my HS band director did his masters work there and apparently has a real good relationship w/ the director and such, enough so that i've been promised a VERY nice scholarship if i choose to attend this school... i'll be going in as a Jr. (a rather old one at that... 24 almost 25 when i get up there doh haha)

just wondering if anyone knows anything about the program up there... i've been told good things about it but they have all come from very bias sorces haha.

thanks
mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
schlotsky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live about 45 min from UNA.

The Jazz program and marching band are very good (The Marching band is VERY clean).

Concert program is soso..... A little too big.

I almost went there but didn't because I wanted to get away.

The only gripe I have heard from alumni is that you will have no life in the fall. Sectionals every morning, practice every day, and contest to perform at every weekend along with games. However this IS the cleanest college marching band I've ever seen ( I have a DCI background so I have knowledge in this field), so its the price you pay.

I'm thinking about UNA myself, I will be 26 when I start back. My only reason for not going to UNA would be the Marching Band direction of the program, its damn good but I've done two seasons of corps and I honestly have marched enough. The positive however is that some good young directors have been coming out of UNA.

Oh BTW..... expect cut backs in music programs in all Alabama schools due to the NO vote on the tax plan.

Shannon Jeffreys

[ This Message was edited by: schlotsky on 2003-09-13 05:34 ]
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest the University of Alabama, located in Tuscaloosa.

The trumpet professor for this semester/year is John McElroy, principal trumpet with the Alabama Symphony, a former teacher of Wynton Marsalis. Note that I said this semester as he is filling in due to the passing of the previous teacher just prior to the start of this semester. I'm sure there will be some kind of announcement later on.

Tuscaloosa is a great place to live, has one of the top Wind Ensembles in the Southeast, a great jazz program, and you only have to do marching band one year! (and it's way more relaxed that UNA).

Give 'Bama some consideration, I went to another school in Alabama before I came to Alabama and am 100% glad that I transferred.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... i was looking at 'Bama origianly... but because of out of state tuition costs i'd only be able to go 1/2 time till i became a resident of the state.

UNA on the other hand... my HS band director did his masters there a few years back (think he finished it in '97 or so)... ironlcly he retires in 2 years haha) he called up the the band director... %90 paid tuition and out of state tuition will be nixed for in state.... seems my band director is a favored feeder school for UNA haha... sad thing is i graduated from HS nearing 5 years now...

i'll have a look-see about bama though thanks for the iput

mark

PS marching band is a treat IMHO... hard work but it won't bother me doing it thats for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
schlotsky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know...

I heard them tonight... WOW!!!

Now I need to go hear them in the next season.
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i should be marchin w/ them next year ... i'll prob be the tall fat trumpet player 6'5 and 300# haha
i gota call dr. lloyd soon... he was suposed to send me a tape of them marching last year... guess he forgot... man i can't wait to see them.

mark
zdma1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to point your attention to Troy State University in SE Alabama. We offer some great scholarship packages and I believe that you will find our band program to be very solid. Please feel free to check out our website at: http://www.tsumusic.org/indexnew.html

Good luck on your school search!

James Zingara
Professor of Trumpet
Troy State University
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. James Zingara is an Excellent Player. I recently played in the Northwinds Band where he was the Featured Cornet Soloist. The cornet solo he played was technically challenging & he played it flawlessly. His tone & technique were great. Also from the short time I talked to him he seems to be an open & very approachable person. I’m sure he would make a great teacher. I enjoyed his performance & hope to be able to play with him again.

Thanks,
Kevin

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: