• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry Short shank on modern cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:16 am    Post subject: Curry Short shank on modern cornet Reply with quote

I have a Curry short shank cornet mouthpiece but alas no vintage Conn cornet anymore. It's the M.V. 10 1/2C rim and the brass band cup. I love it. I've be using it anyway on my Conn Director and the results are pretty good. Maybe slotting around high A is tough on some days. Anybody else tried this? A short shank on a standard receiver cornet. What would the expectations be? Thanks in advance for any replies.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be totally ideal, but I've messed around with my curry short shank in a long-shank cornet receiver to good results. For some reason, the vintage Conn horns are very finicky about the shank length, but it's not so much so on other horns.

Curry's standard cornet shank I think is already shorter than Bach's (2⅝" vs. 2¾"), though longer than a Wick or a Yamaha short shank. I believe that Mark Curry finds his cornet shank's length good for flexibility, so there's something to consider when using your even shorter length mouthpiece.

You might try some tape around the end the short shank mouthpiece to reduce the wobble and fine tune things a bit. It's a lot easier to quick-fix a short shank to be longer than the other way around.
adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Yamaha short shank on all my cornets even my Bach Strad. Blows much easier.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Short shank mouthpieces Reply with quote

It has been my experience in using short shank mouthpieces on my cornets, the sound was flat.
Vincent Bach 5 B short shank mouthpiece
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a hack I cannot deliver any real expectation or experience on this but my opinion is I would expect no direct issues however I would expect slotting to be looser and lipping easier.

I prefer looser slotting it gives greater flexibility. Those players who are more orchestral do often prefer tighter slots than I do. It depends on your repertoir and playing style as to your needs here.

There is a link with mouthpiece gap issues and those players who benefit from gap precision would have more difficulty with a short piece in a regular receiver as the gap would be huge.

Playing consistently flat or sharp I would relate to mouthpiece throat size.

If the throat is very open on the piece this can sometimes lead to playing flat. A tighter throat can lead to greater resistance. The result is more tuneful playing as we have to tighten up the embouchure to combat the resistance and that makes us naturally play to our abilities.

This can be controlled with a firm embouchure but it does take effort to play up consistently and as we tire the tones can slide back to flat very easily. Endurance would therefore suffer.

For me the results in bending and glissading are worth the extra effort to achieve it.

It depends how open the mouthpiece throat is and how much effort is needed before the tones start to go south with the commanches as to whether this setup can work for you.

Just my 2c
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: