• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

To empty spit in a recording studio... offensive?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Www.LexSamu.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we get the album, I'll put it up somewhere for listening:-)
Www.LexSamu.com
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason for using some sort of towel is that in addition to condensation there can often be oil.

I agree that the OP's experience was likely do to the studio having limited experience with wind players which is painfully increasingly common. Hell I did a gig in a rock club once where the sound man confided to rarely working with horns.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hire brass players, expect them to empty their spit valves. And plan on someone else to clean up anything that's left over. You'd never see Wynton or Doc or Arturo with a mop.

Several years ago on a cruise ship contract, the stage director decreed that the 3 brass players (2 trumpets 1 trombone) had to mop up any spit residue after each performance. He tried to convince us that's the way it is done "in the real world, like on any NYC stage."

Yeah...riiiiggghhhttt.

I told him that when I played on stages like Radio City Music Hall or Carnegie Hall or Avery Fischer Hall that if I even looked like I was gonna grab a mop that I'd have been practically beaten to a pulp by the stagehands union...which brings up the question of who would clean up THAT mess!

I then asked him if he was going to require the dancers to mop up any sweat they might drip while doing their performances. He said no, the stage crew would do that as the dancers could not do anything about dripping sweat, that it was natural and an expected thing for them to do.

I tried to explain that it wasn't really spit, but breath condensation, and that it was a natural and expected byproduct of all brass players. Also told him that I'd be happy to hold off on emptying my spit until after each performance so that I could do it in the bathroom, but that I wouldn't be responsible for any gurgling sounds that would come outta the business end of my horns.

As this was quickly turning into a losing battle, after each performance I'd simply spread out any floor spit with my shoe, and by the time I had packed up my horns & mutes it had naturally evaporated.

Not to come across as being hard core, but as far as studios and rehearsal halls, cleaning up is for someone else to do - my job is to play. In homes, if they have any concerns the host usually provides newspapers.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+++++++++1@Tim!!
Www.LexSamu.com
percivalthehappyboy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever collect the spit... I mean condensation... with a bowl or plate? I've wondered before how much comes out, but even when it seems to come out in a veritable stream, it doesn't look like much when it's sitting in the bowl.
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always blow it in my case, unless I'm on stage. I don't like having a big puddle under me unless it has to be that way.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to self: Never buy a horn case from Mike.

Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply cannot believe this is a subject to discuss.

If someone is that fussy, they can use a CD, I'll go to the pub and have a drink.

cheers

Andy
kidtwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, I usually blow it on the stage too!

WCU '03

Selmer K-Mod-24B-LT
King Silver Flair - 1960s Vintage
Carolbrass CTR-4440L-YST-Bb-S
Carolbrass CTR-4000H-YSS-C
Kanstul 1523
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Bach 3C, 10C, & Warburton 5 Mouthpieces
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the OP's RV guys musta watched this show a bunch:

Link

Because I know someone will ask...the late, great Warren Luening on Lead Trumpet.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Branson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most complaints come from vocalists. They usually say "How would you like it if I coughed up mucus and spit it on the floor during a concert"? I usually tell them that if it would help their singing, I'd put up with it.

First point to stress is that it is not spit, it is condensed water.

I have been using doggy pads in my studio for they are cheap and holds a lot of condensed water without leaking to the floor.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off subject

Vocalists? They spew all kinds of fluids into the pit. We would put paper cups over our mouthpieces during long breaks.

One time during a Michigan Opera performance a soloists decided to spit water out toward the audience as part of a skit. We filed a grievance and won. Made him pay cleanings bills, get tested for disease and apologize!

Sorry but hearing about vocalists complaining pushed a button.

Thanks for reading.
Shipham_Player
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only spit on the floor when I'm on a big band rehearsal and for the 5th time in a row on Count Bubba's Revenge the sax soli messes up the beat and we have to stop the band.

Sorry did I just type that out loud

(PS apologies to any good Sax players on here!)
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
I guess the OP's RV guys musta watched this show a bunch:

Link

Because I know someone will ask...the late, great Warren Luening on Lead Trumpet.

Thanks for posting that. I had forgotten how amazing the trumpet playing was on that show. I used to listen to that quite often back when I was young. Great, great trumpet sound there. He truly was a fantastic player, and this shows it well.
Funky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoking in the studio/concert hall also used to be acceptable. We adapted and quit doing that for health and consideration of others.
Personally, I never thought much about it until my wife commented about it, years ago.
It's gross - Just clean up after yourself. (and it takes little effort)
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the floor. Beat-up stage, orchestra pit, band room, etc., it goes on the floor. Nice carpet, nice hardwood floors, etc., it goes on a cloth. At one guy's house where we rehearse, he has a brass spittoon for each of us. Works great, except for the time a guy was trying to shake some water out of his horn and his mouthpiece fell into the spittoon...
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I empty my spit valves onto my left pants leg. I suppose if I were playing somewhere where I had to wear expensive clothes I might bring my little spittoon.

jbq
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to add that in Middle School and High School while I often did not drain into a towel or into my case like my teacher wanted but I did wipe it up every day before leaving class. I did not make that clear. We had hard lanolin tiles in the band room not carpet. It was built with acoustic blocks and acoustic ceiling panels so we did not have carpet or heavy curtains in band room like a lot of places. It was odd shaped as well not at all symmetrical by design to create an environment that had good acoustics and was also almost sound proof.

I did have one band room as a kid that had carpet on the floor and heavy curtains on the walls etc...... and we never emptied onto the carpet for obvious reasons. That was a temp situation though. I am surprised I even remember that old place!

I should mention that my church does not have carpet on the floors. They have roll out rugs in some area's but for the most part it is a water resistant finish.

I could see no one wanting water on carpet since carpet is a haven for mold and all sorts of other things that need water to thrive. So they hygienic part just being water on carpet is not hygienic. That said people wear shoes that might be covered in snow into carpeted public places all the time so I guess it is mixed ball of wax no matter how you look at it.

I think it is never too late to apologize for accidentally offending someone and likewise asking them to calm down about it so we can all get on with music. Their are people that make too big of a deal about everything and at some point you need to tell them you get it and your sorry and lets move on. It is doing it in a polite way that is the trick. My Mom and Dad could turn something minor like being a few minutes late getting home into a 45 minute lecture. Obviously being 5 minutes late for curfew is not a 45 minute lecture offense like wise draining a little bit of water should not be a huge song and dance with arms waving and and "how dare you that is so rude and unhygienic lecture" either.

Balance!!! The pendulum does not need to swing from the extreme left to the extreme right on most issues but people seem to like to go to extremes. It does not matter if it an all light weight trumpet or all heavy weight 10lbs. trumpet to reprimanding someone for draining a little water on the floor. Even the TSA would let you take that amount of water on the plane with you!!! LOL
kimgun47

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: To empty spit in a recording studio... offensive? Reply with quote

Hi,

Such a situation is possible. Even my family feel that way when I play at home.
The following items are really effective products to prevent such situations.
I have been using this stuff, it is awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/WindSorb-absorber-container-Model-Trumpet/dp/B07M821FZP

Last edited by kimgun47 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: