• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

VERY VERY Cheap horn for Marching Band

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I'm leaving for college in like a week, and looking for just an outrageously cheap horn to take a beating in a college "scatter-band." In case you don't know, some of the really academically focused hard-core places don't have time for a true marching band, so they do a scatter band-you play a tune in one position, run to another, and play a tune. But I really don't want to take my V1 out to risk a dent. I can't afford one of the ritzy Kanstul marching trumpets, I need something dirt cheap, like $50 would be great!! Any recommendations or E-Bay auctinos I should look at?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this? The bidding is up to $15.50 when posted here. I think it's from the period of decline of Olds trumpets but it would serve your purpose.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2558045943&category=16214

Tim
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2556745848&category=16214&rd=1

This one looks to be in slightly better condition, and is in your price range, plus it ends sooner. Whichever one you choose, the Olds are the premier choice for what you are looking for, really tough to withstand all the beating and banging.
livertwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wouldn't normally do this, but since you asked.... I have a good quality, sturdily-built vintage horn on eBay right now and I doubt it will go for much more than what you're willing to pay. It's at $85 right now, but these don't often go for much more than $100. Olds Ambassadors however, are now starting to sell for $150 and up (though they are definitely worth it).

Go here fro my shameless plug: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2557868485&category=16214&rd=1

Good luck!

Oliver
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice friends, I'll let you know what happened, hoping the site isn't closed!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-09-13 04:07, oneeyedhobbit wrote:
Hello, I'm leaving for college in like a week, and looking for just an outrageously cheap horn to take a beating in a college "scatter-band." In case you don't know, some of the really academically focused hard-core places don't have time for a true marching band, so they do a scatter band-you play a tune in one position, run to another, and play a tune.

"Scatter band". That's a new one for me. However, I've got to say that this sounds like a marching band that I could actually enjoy. Although for me the thought of supporting a football team with any musical effort makes me feel a little sick, since I view this sport as America's #2 game of idiocy.
Larry
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll miss the professionalism of a true collegiate marching band, but I do agree the scatter band sounds fun. And hey, don't diss football, it isn't all idiots, thats only the stereotype!
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football? Isn't that all those guys running around on the field before and after the halftime show? I always thought they had something to do with the grounds crew.

After halftime at my old high school about half the stadium would leave, and we were a 5A (biggest) school with a team that went to playoffs every year.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To oneeyedhobbit:

Best of luck in school this year. What is the name of this academically oriented institution with the scatter drill marching band? As far as the beater trumpet, don't forget to ask the retailer where you purchased your Conn Vintage One if he/she has an old, decent trumpet for $50. They might set you up with an OK horn.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again all, nothing new on the "beater" horn yet. I'm going to the University of Chicago for those who asked, it isn't a public school as its name may suggest. Not that there is anything wrong with public schools, but in my small town nobody knows UChicago and acts like I decided I "want to party instead of achieve."
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well do you?

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check around the school your at, and get friends to check their schools, and see if you can find a non-major who is quitting band and wants to sell their horn cheap. I have a friend who's getting a King Silver Flair in good shape for $150 after this season that's going to be his marching horn. He should have done it a year or two ago since he's using a Lawler Custom on the field.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I may do a bit of partying Phil, but those acquanited with higher edu. in the US know that UChicago is no sluff school, it is the equal of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, or any other name you toss out. (I honestly don't say this to brag, really, I just don't like the lack of recognition-as I said, in my small hometown, everyone thinks I went from being valedictorian to a blockhead.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: