• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Me. Prince of Denmark's March clip.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Dave88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Me. Prince of Denmark's March clip. Reply with quote

Link

Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

Is that your modified Dillon? What sort of modification?
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Big Dave88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's my good ol' Dillon.

I have removed the forward bell brace, and have considered putting it back on as it helps focus the sound, but having it removed helps the high f's to pop out and I get slightly more color and response... Helped intonation too, oddly enough. What COMPLETELY changed the horn was removing the pin stop on the third valve slide. It was like a completely different horn, and dramatically better in every way when I took that thing off. I also worked the third valve slide in to where it is completely effortless to move. It was unusable when I got it. I also moved the ring on the third valve slide down to the end of the slide to accommodate my fingers. The rotor moves fine, but I never use it. It shuts down to much of the horn's response and color.

I have a repairman friend whom I went to high school with who does all my work for free!!!

With these mods it is almost a professional level instrument. The upper register, high f and above, gets pretty tight. It's biggest drawbacks are that it does indeed take quite a bit of effort to play when compared next to a real pro level horn - and that the A pipe is pretty unusable, so I pull out the Bb pipe, and the lower register is sharp, which is why some people say 'it doesn't play up to pitch'. It does, you just tune with high C not low C. You are basically getting JUST a picc in A, as I feel there is not enough slack in the lead pipe to tune properly using the horn in Bb, depending on how warm/cold/ the room is, the other instrument, ect. I'ld like to get a lead pipe drawn for it at some point, but I want to make sure the valves hold up. They have held up pretty darn well so far.

A very solid investment for 300$ used. It has paid for itself in no-time.

Last edited by Big Dave88 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:54 am; edited 2 times in total
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the tone you're getting; very nice job. I'm amazed how many guys on here will talk about horns but won't post vids - it does take guts.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
dstrad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done. Just goes to show you that you don't need a boutique horn to sound good. Good fundamentals and good sound concept go a long way. Don't get me wrong it's still optimal to have the scherzer, schilke bach etc but you can still sound great with a decent horn without paying top dollar.
Big Dave88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! Yeah, I got my hands on a p5-4 a few weeks ago. I had no idea I was missing soooo much... I could play FOREVER on that thing. I'd say 'optimal' becomes more like 'dire need' at some point!

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: