• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Damn, ever have a neighbor complain about your horn

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playing?

This a** just knocked on my door saying that I was disturbing him, his wife and kids from all the way across the street and two houses over, while both of my next door neighbors say they barely hear me practicing.

This same guy complained about my next door neighbor's music during a party (one party in two years), while I could barely hear his music from next door; what an A**.

I think I may increase my practice time and work on hitting that high C.

I posted this in 'The Lounge' first because I was pissed; but now that I've calmed down and I guess I need to ask: what's the best free blowing, light weight, low resistance mute that will keep this a** off my front steps.

It doesn't need to be silent as if someone were in the same room or even in the house, just silent enough to stop this neighbor from coming up my front steps.

Schilke S22
77 LA Benge
Warburton 4MC/6SV

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"

[ This Message was edited by: ARB on 2003-09-13 21:20 ]
BrassClass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some bands I've played in, we could do about what we wanted to until 10:00 p.m. After that, the local police officers would come pay us a visit.
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have laws on decible ratings where i live... i have untill 10:30 to scream when every I want.

Yes I live i a house!!! it sounds like you do to....

yes i know legally i have untill 10:30 here in my city to be loud, but the agreemet with my surrounding neighbors I made is 10:00 P.M. - since they have kids and can hear me when i play pic and do upper reg work...

one time i did not notice the time becuase I fustrated with a piece i was working on (8va) - I played untilll after 11:00!!! - and got the kock on the door from the sherrif.... I felt so bad, I had lost track of time in my furstraition, they understood... no biggie....

This works for me and works for them... also the guy next door sleeps late - I agreed not to start playing untill after 11:00 am - besides I am anways in rush i the morning gettig ready for work...

Obviouly your neigbor is not a patron of the fine arts... does he have weird hours?

have you actually talked to him or was it just a yelling sesssion.... if it comes down to him just being an Axx as you said - refer him to the local law for decibel ratings and what times you are allowed to play at those levels - let him call the cops come over.... I am sure they will let him know he is in the wrong....

If I where you, I would knock on the doors of your surrounding neighbors, invite them for coffee or just explain the situation that you only have this time period to practice and need to be able to practice with out a mute and why- a mute causes more resistance and will mess you up tone and range wise... ask them if the time you prace bugs them and if it acceptible to practice unitll 11:00 or would you rather have me stop somewhere eailer like 10:30 - le them know tha you relize we all have different sleep patterns and some of us are trying to get some sleep eairler due to the type of jobs we had...

if you talk to your neighbors, you may even want to show up to their door with some cookies or somthing like that as an act of hospitality....

You would be suprised how tolorante neighbors are when you go talk to them and intruduce yourself...

I only had one neigbor that every complained when i lived in an appartment - i practiced during lunch and after work everyday and some at night - it was the lucnhd and after work that bugged themof course - the neighbor worked at night and slept during the day, they knocked on the door and started complaing that the could not sleep with the high piched sounds- i explained the situation and the neighbor did not car.

I apoligied for he incovince and asked if the neighbor had a sleep aid they could use while sleeping or could obtain one.

I even offered to reseach and try to get them one that they would be confortable with, so it would bug them less.. it was not very smooth - the neighbor had obviouly built up some anger before knocking on my door, not sure how many days/weeks/months they toloarted before getting flamed up about it.....

I was not sure if it as the Bb high pratice or the piccolo work that bugged them so much - they would not even come in, sit down and speak with me like a neighbor should if invited inside your home to dicsuss these matters....

i ended up reffering them to speak to managment to come up with a solution to work for both of us.....

this is when i stated knockig on the ohter neighbors doors and discussed the situaion to make sure they where ok with my playing times - we came up with 10:00 p.m (must be the magic time with eveyone i live next too, since thisi is the same as my house).

Since i never pracetice in the morning the other neighbors where cool with me playing at lunch and anytime after work...

I started thinking the piccolo work bugged them about a week later the most, so i only did that later in the day...

but right after the sour conversation I did the smart thing and ended up talking to the apartment manager about the situation before my neighbor did... I needed to know who was in the right....

Escpically because because i reffered the neighbo to them due to them having the strange time conflit and sleeping hours -

So I taked to the manager and they did back me up espically after i explained the mute drawbacks and how this is a normal hour for most people, how they offered no practice rooms for musicans, also asked how many compaints they received about other musiscans they had (lot of middle school and high school kids seemed to play brasswind/wood wing/strings, and plenty of guitar players in the apt complex - meet two of them...

I aslso let them know that I spoke to my other neighbors. I let them know they where ok with it even me playing as late as 10:00, and that lunch and after work and on was not biggie... if worse came to worse I had a budddy at work that would have let let me play at thier house....

My other nicer neighbors probably just turned up the TV and where fine with it, who knows, but they did appreacite that i spoke to about it...

not sure how the manager handled it, but the person moved out pretty quick, not sure if the contract was broken, they moved them to antoher apt or if their contract was just about up anyways.... plus they found out out i had a year and a half retal agreement and had only been there a for about half a year...

not everything can turn out perfect every time, but you can try to smooth things out and compensate..

in a previoius apt i did the wisper mute thing, thinking like you - that really messed me up bad, espcially when playing without it, i was always drowning for air when playing somewhere real becasue there was no resistance in comparison - not sure on this yamanha expensive thing but i am sure it does add some resisance other wise you would have the same volume level...

I would use a mute a hotel if they did not offer an safe area for me to practice (you have to ask and they usually do) or sometimes if the stay was short - i would rather just buzz on my mouthpice...

you know you can always drive into a empty strip malll and play in your car - when the rent a cop stops by you will have some explaining to do.. LOL

hope this helps,

-marc
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks marc, it's good to know I'm not in this alone.

I pulled out my homemade air freshener mute and have been using it for the evening, but as you said it offers so much resistance it's not the best way to practice. I've been trying to play low, but I need to remember to keep it from getting too high. I may just need to construct a room in my house with some sound proofing which will allow me to play into the night without any problems.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lucky...I only have one neighbour (property borders on a school yard, a park, and an alley on the other three sides. When we moved in the neighbour came over and said "it's good to hear someone playing music again...reminds us of when our kids were in school band". Having said that, I seldom practice after 9:30 pm and then do so inside the garage or the house. On a hot day I may have a door or some windows open but that's no biggie.. the street traffic is louder than I am.

You might also share with your neighbours the benefit of your practice.... do some Christmas "brass caroling", even get a small brass choir together. I'll bet they'll love it.
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tootsall, that is my biggest beef with this guy, we live on a busy street with traffic passing all night long and I know I'm much quieter than the traffic by a long shot, especially from across the street and two houses down. He said his wife even heard me practicing at 6:00am; at 6:00am I’m still trying to wake up. I think she's the one that’s got problems and not him, he's just the pawn. But I’m going to try to be more aware and try to keep my windows closed when I practice, and use a mute when it gets too late.

I’ve always been a very companionate neighbor, but these folks just belong in the suburbs. Thanks for letting me vent everyone.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try the Jo Ral Bucket mute, or the Humes and Berg bucket mute. The Joral fits in the horn with a corked thingy, the H&B clips on the bell. They are free-blowing but cut the output of volume quite a bit. A Jo Ral practice mute is as quiet as the Yamaha Silent Brass, and has a similar blow, quite restricted, but you can play it in the same room as someone who is speaking on the phone...
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in NY State...and this was about 1976...I had a 19 piece big band that used to rehearse in my basement every Monday night! We were doing Kenton/Maynard/Rich charts, etc. The guys in the band were probably the best players around within a 50-60 mile radius so they ALL could blow! My neighbors couldn't wait to get home from work to listen to the band. We rehearsed from 7:00PM 'till about 10:00PM and in the summer all of the surrounding people would bring lawn chairs outside and sit on their decks or lawns and just listen to us rehearse. The ONLY thing that bothered them was when we STOPPED to go over something! My oldest daughter was about 5-6 months old then and when we played she would go to sleep...when we stopped she'd wake up and cry!!! Guess I was REAL lucky! Good luck with YOUR situation, ARB!

Butch Warnke
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story Butch, as a born and raised New Yorker I know how they love their music up there. I guess things are a bit different down here in the south, or perhaps it's just that one neighbor many of have that chooses to cause problems.

Either way, I guess I'll be playing with a mute a bit more.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ...

I use and really like the Humes & Berg Mannie Klein "Sh Sh Quiet Practice Mute". It is reasonably priced and cuts your sound down by about 80%. I also practice playing softly to build my chops and control. I have told my neighbors if my playing ever bothers them just to holler over to me and have never heard a word.

Rusty
pushyred
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny someone mentioned things being "different" in the South. I couldn't agree more. I grew up in Georgia and the only time anyone ever complained was when I lived in a trailor (no comments please) and the trailor-trash manager of the park came down and said he didn't want anyone to start complaining. I asked if anyone had and he said no. The way I figured it, he was just a dumb red-neck and didn't like my music. Still, he had the power.

I left Georgia in 1986 and have lived in apartments and houses that were very close together and have never had a complaint since. In fact, when I got married and moved out of my last apartment building last year I had several people say they'd miss my playing! I guess I've been really lucky on this one.

Some folks are just unhappy with themselves and will find anything to complain about ... good luck dealing with them.

Oh yeah, from time to time The EJP has rehearsed in Alison's garage with the door opened and some of the neighbors bring lawn chairs and clap. Too cool.

[ This Message was edited by: pushyred on 2003-09-17 11:27 ]
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARB,

Maybe a slight attitude adjustment on your part is needed here. I know a great player who, in his younger days, lived in apartments. Recently, I was worrying about disturbing my neighbors and ask this player's wife how he avoided disturbing the neighbors in their apartment living days. Her reply was, "Are you kidding? S-- was convinced that the world was very fortunate to hear him play anything!" That didn't help me much, but I would love to have that attitude. (or maybe to just know that I have that skill level)
Jazzalive
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pretty lucky. I've lived in apartments, where I made it a habit to practice during daytime or early evening hours and no one ever complained. Living in a house for the past few years, no one has ever complained. Granted, during after hours, I make it a habit to assure all the windows are closed in my practice room during my practice time. Additionally, duing late hours, I play quietly, some times whisper quiet. Which by the way has helped me with other aspects of my playing.

But for the most part, like I said, so far I've been lucky. I guess it also helps to know and have good relationships with all the neighbors in the cul du sac.
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lucky that all of my neighbors are gone during the day AND I have access to two different churches.

In the past, in other apartments, I've had problems.

I recommend trying to find a church were you can go practice.

It's better, since there are less distractions like the computer, TV, phone, etc.

You also won't be worried about your neighbors, which can lead you to "holding back" (bad habits).

romey
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ARB, maybe he thinks that just because you are a musician, you are some lowlife scumbag that likes to smoke "the weed", know what I'm saying?

It's funny how as a musician we get a lot of attitude from people when we gig as if we really are scumbag lowlifes. one night after getting some attitude from one of the hotel employees (I think it was the Ball Room manager) our bandleader said something like this: "You know, it isn't like we are just a bunch of lowlife musicians that smoke dope. Do you realize that almost every member of this band has a six-figure day job annual salary? How much do you make? The members of this band aren't playing tonight because they need the money. They are playing because they love music." Needless to say, she didn't have much to say and we were treated with utmost respect for the rest of the night.

I think that your neighbor is probably a sterling plated jerk, but I could be wrong. Just ignore him and maybe he'll go away.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks trickg, that's about what I felt also. Here's an interesting follow-up I posted earlier.
_________
Interesting update:

Today my next door neighbor and I were chatting briefly as neighbors do, and one of the first things he said to me was “have you stopped playing the trumpet, I haven't heard you practicing”. Now this neighbor lives right next door, while the a** that knocked on my door and complained lives across the street and a few houses down.

My neighbor did say that the folks across the street are a bit crazy; well, I guess this explains the whole thing.

PS Before leaving he said “man, play your horn, it doesn’t bother me a bit”.

It’s good to have cool neighbors that offset the others.

Again everyone, thanks for letting me vent.

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

cujazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man there'd be times that Id be playing my horn till 3 am Id ask my neighbors and they said they couldn't even hear a whisper, Now im living in a condo id still play my horn till the wee hours of the morning and my neighbors still couldn't couldn't hear anything, BTW when I have the rock band in the house the cops will be around after the 3rd song but when I got the Jazz quartet neighbors would knock and ask if they could watch??
JohnCage
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lives in noisy environment;
- 20th floor of the apartment (total 22 floors) - fundamentally windy!
- next to urban highway - fundamentally noisy!
=> these makes people dull for hearing function and nobody opens windows while the construction had pay special attention to anti-noise considerations.

So I can practice without mute or somthing even in 2:00 AM.

What about move to place like this?
Curry 3BC, Breslmair G2, JK Exclusive 5WA, Curry 2TF, Bach 1
Yamaha Custom 14a4a GP, 15E4
Wick 3B (cornet)
Amati ABG-291A, Naumann S Model
JoeWats
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in my College Days ... I the police would stop by my place at least
once a week. The norm was to offer them Pizza.

What a life ... it was so easy.

JW
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my silent brass and now the neighbors that live in the apartment below me don't have to take a broom handle and hit the roof (my floor) in order to get me to shut up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: