• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Taylor Trumpets

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone here actually OWN a Taylor Trumpet? I tried a search and found a whole lot of garbabe, and meaningless posts that turned up just because Taylor is in someones sig. I'm in the market for a new lead horn and would like to hear from some owners. I saw that they were mostly .470 bore, the same as my Callet. Anyone played the Callet Jazz and a Taylor side by side? Can someone help me?
-Collin
Jazzalive
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some feed back you from TH you may or may not find helpful.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=11245&forum=7

Good luck.
Jarrett Ellis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my quest for a new lead horn, I first turned to Taylor, and at the Frankfurt Music Messe I had a friend try out some of the horns from Taylor's stand... apparently Andy Taylor, upon hearing what I was looking for , referred him to the Eclipse stand. Not saying Taylor's don't make good lead horns, but that was my experience.
-J
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think liad plays a taylor sometimes...don't remember.

dj
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I own and play a Chicago II Standard, which I purchased only recently. I play mainly section (2nd and 3rd parts) and some solo so my demands from the horn are very different from yours. However, given those criteria I'll let you know what I found.

I spent about 3 full days this summer looking for a new trumpet in the UK. I played Bachs (new and old), Yamahas, Conn V1 (impressive), Smith-Watkin and Schilkes (nearly bought the X3). I have a house about 1 hours drive from Norwich and as I've always liked the eccentric look of Taylors went up to Andy's factory.

I played about a dozen horns, none of which I would describe as lead horns (as for example the B1 or B5 I tried definitely were). I did, however, play some very fine all round trumpets which could be used as one if pushed,the Chicago lite for example, or the Rio. I bought the Chicago standard because it gave me a rich core sound that (to me at least) was the best and it did everything else right as well.

Regards

Trevor
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't play lead on a taylor, i'd get a big bore Schilke
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or how about a medium bore Schilke James?

Like chase, roger ingram, bobby shew and jon faddis use?

remember bore size is irrelevant... response and sound are....

but yeah, a clear bright Schilke is a great horn!

My Schilke X3Lb in Satin Gold
[img]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/3f4577e3_1283/bc/X/__hr_x.jpg?BCoZaR_ARis3g4PD[/img]
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby Shew?
mfan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the reason I am looking at the Taylors is because I saw that they are the same bore size as my Callet Jazz(.470). I have experienced intonation problems at lower dynamic levels. Seems like unless I'm dumping tons of air into the horn the pitches don't quite want to lock in. I really love that big open feel though. Went to a local place the other day and played a few of the Schilke horns and they were way too bright for my taste. The X4 felt the most open but it was just too bright for me. Fantastic horn though. I am also interested in the Eclipse, and the Lawlers. However I figure if I'm gonna spend 3200 for a horn I might as well check out all my options. I don't feel like buying too many horns at 3200. On a side note does anyone know if Taylor builds the Starship? What that just a prototype or what? What a beautiful horn!! Thanks for the help guys.
-Collin
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats the matter james? - did i spell it wrong? or you just do not know who he is? -

just giving you a hard time....

it's no biggie - my mom (raised around 3 trumpet players) never heard of Arturo Sandoval untill about 3 months ago when she saw that movie - "for love or country" - then she asked me if I had any of his ablums... she freaked out...

but yeah - Bobby Shew! - you know that guy that the Yamaha Z-horn was designed for that everyone raves about? It's a semi copy of a Schilke B7 (medium bore with the large bell flair)....

http://www.bobbyshew.com/

your reply is a little open ended so I was not sure what kind of responce you wanted or if you where just messing with me - either way it's cool

anyways in case you have never gone to this web site...

here is a good web site with a longs list of trumpet players, info, video and sound clips, you may find you want to buy some new ablums after checking it out...

http://trumpetstuff.com/Home.html

have fun!

-marc
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah - mfan -

sorry the B-series was a bit bright for your taste - can't belive you could handle the x4 either - man that thing can take some wind...

A lot of lead player play on the Schilke S-series (faddis, mike vax, Dizzy, Roger Ingram) - they are heavier walled horns - less bright - great for lead work - three models to choose from... check them out if you get a chance since the b-series was not a match - you never know.. the S22 is the large bore version, the s32 ml (designed with mike vax) and s42 is the medium...

good luck, hope you find that horn you are looking for...

-marc

[ This Message was edited by: drunkiq on 2003-09-15 12:31 ]
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think the starship was a custom but what I did play at the workshop was a 'Phoenix' and if you look past the funny bell and flames it is one very fine sounding trumpet (the standard looks very like the 'starship'). Very unlike the other Taylors, still has that big distinctive core but with an 'edge'.

Regards

Trevor
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit though, i must agree, if I was looking for a lead horn it would take something special to beat the Schilke (haven't tried the Lawler). I tried some S series horns as well...much more all rounders.

Just a thought, but since you like large bore, fat sounding horns what about the 'Wild Thing' would've thought they're perfect.

Regards

Trevor
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean you want a DARK lead horn?
i'm confused, i thought lead players were bright by nature
i guess i'm out of my league here

i just think a lightly used Schilke is the best bang for your buck on the market
but if you just need to spend that extra money, go for it

BTW - i thought Bobby Shew played a Yam (Z)
mfan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here are some notes I took reagrding the Schilke horns I tried out. Not being very familiar with them I took notes so that I could look up these horns I played on the net when I got home.

I played three. I liked the S22 the least, it felt too tight to me and I got too much back pressure in the upper register. I was pleased with the B1 butwhen I went back to my Callet then back to the B1, lets just say the B1 is not the sound I am looking for. I was happiest with the X4. I did not feel quite as open as the Callet but the intonation problems I mentioned earlier with my horn were gone. However I have been cursed with a bright sound and the Schilkes seem to do nothing but magnify that. That is one department I do not need any help with. To me I'd rather deal with some minor intonation issues at piano volume levels and have the sound that I want rather than the other way around.

As far as the Wild Thing goes, I'd love to try one of those too!! Not to mention The Eclipse, Lawler, Chicago Brassworks, a Monette lightweight. However they are those horns that you hear of but never really get a chance to see, much less take for a spin. In fact I was surprised that I found so many Schilkes on one place! In fact that is where I am going to buy my P5-4 from but that's another story! Anyway thanks for your help guys. Th is an invaulable resource and we need to make sure it stays around regardless of any silly lawsuits coming this way. Later!
-Collin

PS JAMESFROMPHILLY- I'm not necessarily looking for a dark lead horn but one that doesn't scalp the poor bone player sitting in front of me when I'm trying to tune. I guess that I want to get away from a shrill/bright/thin sound and get a nice big fat sound. -Collin

[ This Message was edited by: mfan on 2003-09-15 13:32 ]
Jarrett Ellis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey James.. I find that a darker sounding horn gives me the best "lead" sound... my idea of the perfect lead sound is lots of mass, big core, and some edge... I play lead on my Bach 37 Heavybell for the most part.. I've played some Benge's and Shilke's.... not smaller bored exactly, just brighter sounding, tighter horns, and I , as well as my friends, agree that I sound a lot better on the Bach. That's why I like the Eclipse. It's not super bright, and the tonal core in the upper register is really amazing... on some days I use it for lead stuff and it's just PERFECT. Unfortunately.. on the gigs Im currently playing, I don't want to take a 3600 dollar horn *its gold plated* to a beer fest.
-J
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the knowledge
the only time i ever played lead was on the charge to the buffet table, so I'm not sure how i got in on this thread
since i have no money i always factor in the "bang for your buck" angle
the superhorns might as well be on another planet as far as I'm concerned (unobtainium)
I'll never see one or be able to own one or play one
you guys live in a very different world from me
in my world, you can always pick up a good used Schilke somewhere
Faddis sounds pretty good on his
and ZeuS will sell you a new horn at a good price
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Blue Zeus cornet is something special.

romey
nowherenearadoublec
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old Taylor Chicago with a new red brass bell and a Callet Jazz. The Taylor dosent have the edge or bite that the Callet has. Still sounds ok tho, but the Jazz wins for me!
You say you have intonation probs. What mp do you use? Also check the gap as callet mps are notorious for gap variations.
Hope that helps!
Alan
mfan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,
Currently I am using a Marcienk....(whatever) Bobby Shew 1. I drilled it out myself, to what size I have no idea. I'm sure it's a less than professional job. Didn't even have a drill press, just a handheld and a vice. The gap appears to be about 6cm. The reciever apparently goes much deeper than my mpce. I am planning on switching over to the GR line here shortly. I'm sure a combination of the gap and the home drilling job haven't helped my cause at all. Is this a huge amount of gap?
-Collin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: